• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

My take on the Song of Storms paradox

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
So, I'm sure y'all all know the Song of Storms paradox, that Link only knows it because he played it 7 years ago, but I think there's a perfectly good explanation.
Picture a timeline. For the sake of things, I'll do the timeline of the Song of Storms paradox

<-------(Link plays Song of Storms to Guru-Guru)------7 years---------(Guru-Guru teaches Song of Storms to Link)-------->

That's how time flows. Meaning that Link played the Song of Storms before he knew it. But think of it this way: Link can jump in that timeline as he pleases, with the Master Sword. Meaning, in Link's personal timeframe, he learns the Song of Storms before going back 7 years and playing it to Guru-Guru. I'll cite The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Noel Adams for giving me this view on time travel. In that book, time is regarded as the fourth dimension, and it can be travelled as you wish if you know how. There's a bird in that book that was engineered to not perceive time constraints, so when his owner was about to fall out of a building, he saw a car driving below, and travelled to the night before and rigged the car's ejector seat to go off at the precise moment his owner was falling over it, so he fell safely in the car. If you were the bird's falling owner, you wouldn't have seen the bird do anything. If you were the bird, you would have timehopped back to the night before then back to the moment your owner was falling. If you had been in the garage the night before, you would have seen the bird appear, tamper with the car, then leave. I realize as I'm wrapping this up that I'm basically reinventing the wheel, or rather Einstein's theory of relativity. Oh well.

Basically, time is a one way street, and Link learned to take the sidewalk. If you go by the normal flow of time, it's a paradox, but if you consider the theory of relativity, it's not at all one.

Uwu_Oocoo2

Joy is in video games and colored pencils
ZD Legend
Forum Volunteer
The song of storms is an example of a Bootstrap Paradox, which is baaaasically when information appears to have no origin or explanation of its existence, because the beginning is the cause of the end, although we are unsure of which is which. I think there are multiple timelines in play here. Think about it, if you hear the song from Guru Guru, but don't go back in time and teach it to him, technically he never learned it. Buuut, you already heard him play it to you. The effects of you playing it are still there, even if you haven't done it. This just means there's now some other idiot timeline where he never learned the song, because you decided not to be a jerk a ruin his life. Maybe Nintendo has just been saving that in case they ever need a fourth timeline strand...
But anyway, I think the overall lesson here is that you should never, ever give a 10 year old kid a magical time device, because otherwise he'll screw with the timeline. Probably the biggest "Duh" statement of all time, but apparently Zelda didn't think this through that much XD

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello
my favorite example of a bootstrap paradox is in Milo Murphy's Law when Dakota throws an apple at Past Dakota, which he only got from Future Dakota
I'm fuzzy on the details but I'm pretty sure all of The Prisoner of Azkaban is one big bootstrap paradox (wow bootstrap is a hard word to type)

MapelSerup

not actually Canadian
The song of storms is an example of a Bootstrap Paradox, which is baaaasically when information appears to have no origin or explanation of its existence, because the beginning is the cause of the end, although we are unsure of which is which. I think there are multiple timelines in play here. Think about it, if you hear the song from Guru Guru, but don't go back in time and teach it to him, technically he never learned it. Buuut, you already heard him play it to you. The effects of you playing it are still there, even if you haven't done it. This just means there's now some other idiot timeline where he never learned the song, because you decided not to be a jerk a ruin his life. Maybe Nintendo has just been saving that in case they ever need a fourth timeline strand...
But anyway, I think the overall lesson here is that you should never, ever give a 10 year old kid a magical time device, because otherwise he'll screw with the timeline. Probably the biggest "Duh" statement of all time, but apparently Zelda didn't think this through that much XD
Timeline 4: Legend of Guru-Guru

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom