• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A Link to the Past My Personal Review for A Link to the Past.

I recently beat A Link to the Past(the gba version) this Monday, and I want to do my own review.

First of all, there are my praises for the game. It has amazing graphics. Probably the best I've ever seen for a 2d game. The play control is fairly responsive. The story is pretty good. And the soundtrack is absolutely epic.

As for the bad, by far is simply that it is unfair. I've found myself on several times walk through a door in a dungeon and as the cinematic is playing with Link walking through the door, I get hit. It has a frustation level beyond anything I've played before. The biggest example of this frustation level is the Tower of Hera. It is so frustrating I nearly broke my DS in half. This is an EXTREMELY difficult game. And if you are easily frustrated, I wouldn't recommend this game.

However, all over it is a great game. I absolutely love the game and recommend it to anyone who likes a good challenge. If you're a Zelda fan, and don't have this game, get it!

I guess that's all for now, so see ya!

Rytex

Resident Netizen
This just shows that the newer the player, or the more recent games he/she has, the easier they have it. When I played ALttP the first time, I died so many tims, but once I got used to the game, I hardly ever died in it, but EVERY GAME THAT CAME AFTER IT HAS BEEN SUPER-EASY TO BEAT BECAUSE OF THAT.

insanity76

I don't suffer from it ..
If you thought ALttP was unfair, you should try AoL. ALttP is difficult the first time playing yes, as I amassed around 40 deaths or so. But AoL is widely regarded as the hardest Zelda game, and among the most difficult all time games.

This just shows that the newer the player, or the more recent games he/she has, the easier they have it. When I played ALttP the first time, I died so many tims, but once I got used to the game, I hardly ever died in it, but EVERY GAME THAT CAME AFTER IT HAS BEEN SUPER-EASY TO BEAT BECAUSE OF THAT.
Oh yes. But I beg to differ that ALL the games after it have been really easy to beat. There are plenty of hard Zelda games after it. Just not AS hard as ALttP. But just like any game, the more you play it, the better you get at it.

If you thought ALttP was unfair, you should try AoL. ALttP is difficult the first time playing yes, as I amassed around 40 deaths or so. But AoL is widely regarded as the hardest Zelda game, and among the most difficult all time games.
I've heard some of the stories about AoL. But that game is so hard to come by, and my NES is broken, so I'll never be able to probably play it.

Last edited:

Conor

the over analysing guy
Well, GoldenWolf12, I'll have you know it was released as a port on the GBA as part of an NES classics thing in which they released about 20 NES games for the GBA, amazon is your friend :p

Rytex

Resident Netizen
Oh yes. But I beg to differ that ALL the games after it have been really easy to beat. There are plenty of hard Zelda games after it. Just not AS hard as ALttP. But just like any game, the more you play it, the better you get at it.

Well, trust me on this. I played LA, OoT, and others before playing ALttP, and I suffered a few deaths. And then I played ALttP, amassed over 500 deaths, like I said, and got used to the game. When I played those games again, no deaths in OoT, not even a scratch in TMC (I kid you not), no deaths in Link's Awakening, and only about eight or nine hits in Majora's Mask.

I recently beat A Link to the Past(the gba version) this Monday, and I want to do my own review.

First of all, there are my praises for the game. It has amazing graphics. Probably the best I've ever seen for a 2d game. The play control is fairly responsive. The story is pretty good. And the soundtrack is absolutely epic.

As for the bad, by far is simply that it is unfair. I've found myself on several times walk through a door in a dungeon and as the cinematic is playing with Link walking through the door, I get hit. It has a frustation level beyond anything I've played before. The biggest example of this frustation level is the Tower of Hera. It is so frustrating I nearly broke my DS in half. This is an EXTREMELY difficult game. And if you are easily frustrated, I wouldn't recommend this game.

However, all over it is a great game. I absolutely love the game and recommend it to anyone who likes a good challenge. If you're a Zelda fan, and don't have this game, get it!

I guess that's all for now, so see ya!

This proves that the older Zelda games are still fantastic
I hope this review gets people who have never played this game and are unsure about it to give it a real go.
If you play it and do not like it then fair enough at least you tried it.

the challenge is one thing i really loved about alttp(and all the earlier games) and i hate how the newer games are so much easier. you just don't feel the same sense of accomplishment with the new ones. i think the main reason why it's harder is the enemies and combat, the combat in the 3d games is a joke, you would die so many times in the old games from enemies but in the new ones you just mash the sword button or do a jump strike to kill like any enemy and the bosses are really easy too. the 3d games are much more focused on puzzles and i much prefer that style, but they are too easy imo, i wish every dungeon was as hard as stone tower or the wind temple. i love hard dungeons, there is no point if you can kill all the enemies in one hit and figure out the puzzles in a few seconds, mm is the best example of what a 3d zelda game's difficulty should be, but i still think it should be harder than that

the challenge is one thing i really loved about alttp(and all the earlier games) and i hate how the newer games are so much easier. you just don't feel the same sense of accomplishment with the new ones. i think the main reason why it's harder is the enemies and combat, the combat in the 3d games is a joke, you would die so many times in the old games from enemies but in the new ones you just mash the sword button or do a jump strike to kill like any enemy and the bosses are really easy too. the 3d games are much more focused on puzzles and i much prefer that style, but they are too easy imo, i wish every dungeon was as hard as stone tower or the wind temple. i love hard dungeons, there is no point if you can kill all the enemies in one hit and figure out the puzzles in a few seconds, mm is the best example of what a 3d zelda game's difficulty should be, but i still think it should be harder than that

Yes the older Zelda games i do find harder.
To me it seems they sacrificed harder dungeons and enemies for graphics.
Graphics are all well and good but they do not affect a how tough a game is.
Yes OoT was easy but at least they had a master quest which was more of a challenge than the normal OoT.

MM was a hard game and when you won a level tou felt you had accomplished something.
For example Zelda 2 a lot did not like it but it is a hard game.
Levels,Dungeons should be a challenge it should not be easy to work out.
What is more important a game thats easy with great graphics, or a tough challenging game with much poorer graphics.?

For me the 2 hardest Zelda games aew Wind Waker and Majora's Mask.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom