• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

My original interpretation of Wind Waker's prologue

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
This might be better suited for a blog but I can't create blogs for whatever reason so I'll just make this.
So I know most if not all of us are familiar w/ this:

The backstory to Wind Waker which partially depicts what happened in Ocarina of Time, w/ N64 Link traveling back and forth to defeat Ganon. Heck, you can say this is common knowledge to most long time zelda fans at this point. But when I originally saw this scene, I had a pretty different interpretation that still kinda made sense, at least in my mind. And that's something I wanted to share today

This was my first zelda game that I played when I was pretty young. I didn't really get this backstory but I probably didn't care, I just wanted to play the game. But as time went on, and I started to do new save files and whatnot, I began to develop my own interpretation of this opening. About 3rd grade was when I first got Super Smash Bros Melee, and that was when I began to notice that there was previous zelda [and Nintendo] activity prior to Wind Waker, at least now I can see it. So now that I know for sure there were other older zelda games, this is what began to stir in my mind

"This boy, who traveled through time to save the land, was known as the Hero of Time."

Essentially what I thought this meant was that every time Ganon or some other evil came to threaten Hyrule, a boy in green cloths would always show up to save the day in each different era. In other words, I thought this was something like recounting the older zelda games. The story of a boy who would always rise up to defeat evil, throughout the different time periods, people would interpret what was actually different Links as the same hero and call him the Hero of Time, probably b/c of his green cloths.
link_zelda_nes.png
a-link-to-the-past-link_2.jpg

NffDGUtRIoqdmORcYu6vaHUQqemY8oGJ.png
img-hero.png

And pretty much throughout the history of Hyrule this became legend. Any time Hyrule would be threatened, the Hero of Time [aka, a new Link] would show up to save the day.
It's funny that even though I hadn't even seen the older games, I already kinda figured they were about Link saving Hyrule from Ganon [more or less]. So that's how the opening was seen from my perspective at the time, the "Hero of Time" was a metaphor of sorts of a new Link showing up in a new time period to save Hyrule, alluding to how that happens in each game.
I also find it interesting on how this falls in line to that one idea that what we interpret from what we read is formed from our own experiences. B/c I hadn't played Ocarina of Time, I had to interpret that prologue in my own way so it can make sense to me, which is separate from someone else who had played OoT, and probably caught on that it was about what happened in that game and so on.

So that's how I saw it at the time, and for a while actually. It wasn't until way later when I began to look stuff up that it turned out I was off. ah well

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
This might be better suited for a blog but I can't create blogs for whatever reason so I'll just make this.
So I know most if not all of us are familiar w/ this:

The backstory to Wind Waker which partially depicts what happened in Ocarina of Time, w/ N64 Link traveling back and forth to defeat Ganon. Heck, you can say this is common knowledge to most long time zelda fans at this point. But when I originally saw this scene, I had a pretty different interpretation that still kinda made sense, at least in my mind. And that's something I wanted to share today

This was my first zelda game that I played when I was pretty young. I didn't really get this backstory but I probably didn't care, I just wanted to play the game. But as time went on, and I started to do new save files and whatnot, I began to develop my own interpretation of this opening. About 3rd grade was when I first got Super Smash Bros Melee, and that was when I began to notice that there was previous zelda [and Nintendo] activity prior to Wind Waker, at least now I can see it. So now that I know for sure there were other older zelda games, this is what began to stir in my mind

"This boy, who traveled through time to save the land, was known as the Hero of Time."

Essentially what I thought this meant was that every time Ganon or some other evil came to threaten Hyrule, a boy in green cloths would always show up to save the day in each different era. In other words, I thought this was something like recounting the older zelda games. The story of a boy who would always rise up to defeat evil, throughout the different time periods, people would interpret what was actually different Links as the same hero and call him the Hero of Time, probably b/c of his green cloths.
link_zelda_nes.png
a-link-to-the-past-link_2.jpg

NffDGUtRIoqdmORcYu6vaHUQqemY8oGJ.png
img-hero.png

And pretty much throughout the history of Hyrule this became legend. Any time Hyrule would be threatened, the Hero of Time [aka, a new Link] would show up to save the day.
It's funny that even though I hadn't even seen the older games, I already kinda figured they were about Link saving Hyrule from Ganon [more or less]. So that's how the opening was seen from my perspective at the time, the "Hero of Time" was a metaphor of sorts of a new Link showing up in a new time period to save Hyrule, alluding to how that happens in each game.
I also find it interesting on how this falls in line to that one idea that what we interpret from what we read is formed from our own experiences. B/c I hadn't played Ocarina of Time, I had to interpret that prologue in my own way so it can make sense to me, which is separate from someone else who had played OoT, and probably caught on that it was about what happened in that game and so on.

So that's how I saw it at the time, and for a while actually. It wasn't until way later when I began to look stuff up that it turned out I was off. ah well

If you didn't buy a blog from the shop you can't make a blog. You hasve enough rupees for it

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom