• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

My Opinions of Zelda at E3

It's a long read. These are my opinions. A lot of you will disagree, some will agree. I hope you guys comment on some of my thoughts to spark a conversation and maybe give me a bit more hope. :)

It was obvious ever since Zelda Wii was first announced that it was going to rely heavily on Wii motion plus. I personally, have never been a fan of such "trendy" technology. I much prefer an A and B button. Don't get me wrong, I think it would be awesome to have a sword and shield in my hands and play with motion capture. That being said, I have been extremely worried about motion capture ruining Zelda, but placed a lot of hope in Nintendo that they would improve the technology to the point where it would benefit the game tremendously. Unfortunately, with mixed reviews, I don't think we are in the green yet.

I don't know about you guys, but the E3 demonstration was uncomfortable to watch. It was embarrassing for Miyamoto and it made the presentation feel awkward. I feel bad for the guy because I know Zelda is really personal for him and that he does work very hard on it. To have such "difficulties" is truly sad. Please, don't give me the "didn't you hear him say interference?" When I am playing Zelda, I press the B button and know with 100% confidence that Link will swing his sword in the way I have in mind. With motion control, you will not have that certainty when flinging around your controller. When you try a vertical strike, you could end up doing a spin attack or not swinging at all. Just watch Miyamoto play. His movements were completely unsynchronized with what was happening on screen for 95% of the time. The technology is primitive and should not have been tried on a game as important as Zelda. To be fair, several reports by people who tried the game at the booth, claim the motion capture was flawless (links at bottom of post).

Like I mentioned above, I was opposed to motion capture from the beginning, but open to it as long as it was done well and complemented the game. Unfortunately, Nintendo flipped that around. It seemed like they made Zelda to complement Wii motion. I felt like I was watching a demonstration on Wii motion instead of a Zelda game. It is obvious they asked themselves "How can we design this game to incorporate a lot of cool Wii motion?" instead of what they should have asked, "How can Wii motion benefit this Zelda game?" Take for example the eyeball door. What does that have to do with anything? What does it add to the game? Nothing, they just wanted you to swing the controller around in a circle as a feature of motion capture. The entire demonstration was on the motion capture aspect of the game. If the focus of development was on this inconsistent piece of technology, it is safe to assume that less attention was payed to gameplay, storyline, music, characters...things that matter.

Moving on past the catastrophe of Wii motion. When people ask me what my favorite Zelda game is, I am very happy to say that the first three console versions (Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Wind Waker) are equally ranked in my mind. It is incredibly difficult for a sequel to live up the original so it is quite amazing how Nintendo managed to make these three games equally epic, for me at least. However, for reasons I won't get into here, I was completely crushed by Twilight Princess and said to myself "Zelda is over, it is all going to be downhill from here." What does that say? It says that Skyward Sword is a crucial game for the series. It can either sink Zelda further down or redeem the series in glory. I hope for the latter. Let's talk about the positives.

I loved the graphic style! I despised Twilight Princess graphics. The game looked like it was trying to conform to "hardcore" Japanese games and it destroyed the mood of Zelda in my opinion. Last week I was thinking "it would be amazing if they made a mix of Twilight Princess and Wind Waker graphics, that would look and feel fantastic." Behold, that is what they did and I was very pleased. The game looks very good and has a great Zelda feel to it. I'm very excited about the art style. Also, if my eyes didn't deceive me, I think I spotted a couple of Goriyas. I think it is great that they are bringing back some classic Zelda enemies that never made an appearance on console versions.

Next, items. I absolutely loved the whip. I can't believe I never thought of it for a possible Zelda item, so simple but so effective. Very good idea. The beetle seems like a stretch of the imagination but it does look cool and interesting. However, did you notice there are only 8 item slots? Seriously? Eight usable items in the whole game? To make matters worse, two of these items are the slingshot and bow. They serve the same exact function and are used in the same way..thus being basically the same item. Let me also comment on Link's movement. It seems like they made some improvements which look very good, for example the hold A to dash. There is also a brief one second move that can be easily ignored in the demo video. This is when Link is running and climbs over a ledge. Notice how smoothly he climbs and how it does not interrupt movement. In all previous console versions any little climb would require you to stop, climb, continue on. This new system looks a lot smoother and better.

One last thing I would like to comment on is the music, and I know we barely got anything to make a legitimate comment on it but I did get an impression of it that I would like to share. When I say that music is one of the most important aspects of Zelda people call me crazy and say it doesn't matter if the game is good in all other aspects. I could not disagree more. Music, if good, will take the game from good to gloriously epic, or if it is bad, from excellent to decent. Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Wind Waker...I could make a list of songs from those games that I keep on my iPod. Some of the tracks still give me chills. They completely make the feel of the game. Twilight Princess' soundtrack was deplorable. I cannot think of a single track I'd want to listen to outside of the game. I don't know what they did but it was completely different from the three previous titles in terms of quality. A lot of the tracks were actually really tedious and made the game feel like a bit of a chore. Go listen to "Ordon." It is typical "video game music" with no feeling to it and makes you feel really sluggish. From the little music that could be heard in the demo, it seems to fit the style of what they did with Twilight Princess, which is truly disappointing. Music plays a huge role in Zelda and more emphasis and feeling should be put into it.

Overall I am skeptical with what I saw, and although I am keeping an open mind as more information comes out, I really am concerned that this might continue what Twilight Princess started in sinking Zelda to an average and mundane series that is more focused on being "hip" and keeping up with modern times rather than providing mesmerizing and emotional gameplay, exploration, and mind blowing plot like it had for years before.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/109/1097965p1.html

Last edited:
A

Adolf Wolf

When I say that music is one of the most important aspects of Zelda people call me crazy and say it doesn't matter if the game is good in all other aspects. I could not disagree more. Music, if good, will take the game from good to gloriously epic, or if it is bad, from excellent to decent. Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Wind Waker...I could make a list of songs from those games that I keep on my iPod. Some of the tracks still give me chills. They completely make the feel of the game. Twilight Princess' soundtrack was deplorable. I cannot think of a single track I'd want to listen to outside of the game. I don't know what they did but it was completely different from the three previous titles in terms of quality. A lot of the tracks were actually really tedious and made the game feel like a bit of a chore. Go listen to "Ordon." It is typical "video game music" with no feeling to it and makes you feel really sluggish. From the little music that could be heard in the demo, it seems to fit the style of what they did with Twilight Princess, which is truly disappointing. Music plays a huge role in Zelda and more emphasis and feeling should be put into it.

Overall I am not happy with what I saw, and although I am keeping an open mind as more information comes out, I really do think this game will continue what Twilight Princess started in sinking Zelda to an average and mundane series that is more focused on being "hip" and keeping up with modern times rather than providing mesmerizing and emotional gameplay, exploration, and mind blowing plot like it had for years before.

I agree with most of what you said, especially the last part. For the music ... I got into Zelda as a kid because I loved fantasy. As I grew older though, I stuck with it because 1: the puzzles and 2: the music. As a songwriter, I can honestly say that Koji Kondo's scores are one of my biggest influences, especially when I started out. And I agree about TP's music; it did seem like pretty generic video game music. There were a few themes that stood out (I love the mini boss and final boss themes from the Water temple) but I can't say that about the whole soundtrack. I hope Skyward Sword's soundtrack has more input from Koji than TP did. I'm not too worried about live orchestrations, I just want the pieces to be good. I think the music I heard sounded pretty decent.

As for the motion controls, I sort of half agree with you. While I normally would rather play a game with the good ol' A and B buttons, the motion controls for this new game could be really awesome. It looks like it'll be fun to just use items and fight because of how it'll be played. But I don't know yet. I'm watching for gameplay vids but right now I've only found one, and it's very short:

First off, I don't know why all the Twilight Princess fans are complaining about the graphics. Just looking at this video, the game looks a lot light TP, but the colors are brighter, the shapes are smoother. When I first saw the game this morning, my initial reaction was a disappointed "Is this Twilight Princess 2?" As for the controls, I can see that it might be a little hard to watch other people play the game ... because since Link's hands follow the controllers, as you can see in the video, he will spend a lot of time running around holding his sword in weird ways. I doubt it'll be too much of a problem.

I don't know. I was initially disappointed this morning, but now I'm not so much, if at all. I haven't really decided what I think of it just yet, as we haven't really seen much of it at all. I do know that I like the graphics, and the controls sound good, in theory.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I've seen a few of the booth videos. Some look really smooth, other look like the player is struggling to control the character. I also read a written review that reports the motion capture was flawless. Still don't know what to think about it, except that it makes me very nervous and I'd much rather have a good ol' controller.

Veely

Unwanted ZD Member
It's a long read. These are my opinions. A lot of you will disagree, some will agree. I hope you guys comment on some of my thoughts to spark a conversation and maybe give me a bit more hope. :)

It was obvious ever since Zelda Wii was first announced that it was going to rely heavily on Wii motion plus. I personally, have never been a fan of such "trendy" technology. I much prefer an A and B button. Don't get me wrong, I think it would be awesome to have a sword and shield in my hands and play with motion capture. That being said, I have been extremely worried about motion capture ruining Zelda, but placed a lot of hope in Nintendo that they would improve the technology to the point where it would benefit the game tremendously. Unfortunately, with mixed reviews, I don't think we are in the green yet.

I don't know about you guys, but the E3 demonstration was uncomfortable to watch. It was embarrassing for Miyamoto and it made the presentation feel awkward. I feel bad for the guy because I know Zelda is really personal for him and that he does work very hard on it. To have such "difficulties" is truly sad. Please, don't give me the "didn't you hear him say interference?" When I am playing Zelda, I press the B button and know with 100% confidence that Link will swing his sword in the way I have in mind. With motion control, you will not have that certainty when flinging around your controller. When you try a vertical strike, you could end up doing a spin attack or not swinging at all. Just watch Miyamoto play. His movements were completely unsynchronized with what was happening on screen for 95% of the time. The technology is primitive and should not have been tried on a game as important as Zelda. To be fair, several reports by people who tried the game at the booth, claim the motion capture was flawless (links at bottom of post).

Like I mentioned above, I was opposed to motion capture from the beginning, but open to it as long as it was done well and complemented the game. Unfortunately, Nintendo flipped that around. It seemed like they made Zelda to complement Wii motion. I felt like I was watching a demonstration on Wii motion instead of a Zelda game. It is obvious they asked themselves "How can we design this game to incorporate a lot of cool Wii motion?" instead of what they should have asked, "How can Wii motion benefit this Zelda game?" Take for example the eyeball door. What does that have to do with anything? What does it add to the game? Nothing, they just wanted you to swing the controller around in a circle as a feature of motion capture. The entire demonstration was on the motion capture aspect of the game. If the focus of development was on this inconsistent piece of technology, it is safe to assume that less attention was payed to gameplay, storyline, music, characters...things that matter.

Moving on past the catastrophe of Wii motion. When people ask me what my favorite Zelda game is, I am very happy to say that the first three console versions (Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Wind Waker) are equally ranked in my mind. It is incredibly difficult for a sequel to live up the original so it is quite amazing how Nintendo managed to make these three games equally epic, for me at least. However, for reasons I won't get into here, I was completely crushed by Twilight Princess and said to myself "Zelda is over, it is all going to be downhill from here." What does that say? It says that Skyward Sword is a crucial game for the series. It can either sink Zelda further down or redeem the series in glory. I hope for the latter. Let's talk about the positives.

I loved the graphic style! I despised Twilight Princess graphics. The game looked like it was trying to conform to "hardcore" Japanese games and it destroyed the mood of Zelda in my opinion. Last week I was thinking "it would be amazing if they made a mix of Twilight Princess and Wind Waker graphics, that would look and feel fantastic." Behold, that is what they did and I was very pleased. The game looks very good and has a great Zelda feel to it. I'm very excited about the art style. Also, if my eyes didn't deceive me, I think I spotted a couple of Goriyas. I think it is great that they are bringing back some classic Zelda enemies that never made an appearance on console versions.

Next, items. I absolutely loved the whip. I can't believe I never thought of it for a possible Zelda item, so simple but so effective. Very good idea. The beetle seems like a stretch of the imagination but it does look cool and interesting. However, did you notice there are only 8 item slots? Seriously? Eight usable items in the whole game? To make matters worse, two of these items are the slingshot and bow. They serve the same exact function and are used in the same way..thus being basically the same item. Let me also comment on Link's movement. It seems like they made some improvements which look very good, for example the hold A to dash. There is also a brief one second move that can be easily ignored in the demo video. This is when Link is running and climbs over a ledge. Notice how smoothly he climbs and how it does not interrupt movement. In all previous console versions any little climb would require you to stop, climb, continue on. This new system looks a lot smoother and better.

One last thing I would like to comment on is the music, and I know we barely got anything to make a legitimate comment on it but I did get an impression of it that I would like to share. When I say that music is one of the most important aspects of Zelda people call me crazy and say it doesn't matter if the game is good in all other aspects. I could not disagree more. Music, if good, will take the game from good to gloriously epic, or if it is bad, from excellent to decent. Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Wind Waker...I could make a list of songs from those games that I keep on my iPod. Some of the tracks still give me chills. They completely make the feel of the game. Twilight Princess' soundtrack was deplorable. I cannot think of a single track I'd want to listen to outside of the game. I don't know what they did but it was completely different from the three previous titles in terms of quality. A lot of the tracks were actually really tedious and made the game feel like a bit of a chore. Go listen to "Ordon." It is typical "video game music" with no feeling to it and makes you feel really sluggish. From the little music that could be heard in the demo, it seems to fit the style of what they did with Twilight Princess, which is truly disappointing. Music plays a huge role in Zelda and more emphasis and feeling should be put into it.

Overall I am skeptical with what I saw, and although I am keeping an open mind as more information comes out, I really am concerned that this might continue what Twilight Princess started in sinking Zelda to an average and mundane series that is more focused on being "hip" and keeping up with modern times rather than providing mesmerizing and emotional gameplay, exploration, and mind blowing plot like it had for years before.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/109/1097965p1.html

Mostly, I agree with you! But I Like Twilight Princess because you can ride Epona and sorry but I love the graphics lol my mother thought Wolf link was a horse(which made me laugh)! this just It looks like it is going to be kiddy! No offense to anyone! but I want a Zelda game like Twilight Princess and Majora's Mask, etc which are hard and challenging to make me think and maybe get mad once in a while. I also agree with you on the wii motion plus. Really they need to stop! I remember having a PlayStation the Graphics sucked and we had no internet and basically it was fun because I played the game. Now it like totally new to me! My family is a Sony people when we got the wii we (lol) didn't know how to work it! I know how to do it now but, now with new games coming out I have to go out and spend my money on Wii motion Plus! It is absurd really! Anyway, So I agree with 1/2 way! Please don't yell at me! I am still very new at the forum! =D I just came back on cause some1 here Emailed me about this new game. thanks you for you time! And I loved to read all of your replies!

EternalNocturne

Fluffy hair!
In all honesty, I dislike the graphics. That's just my personal taste, and I'm NOT saying that the game will suck because of it. I think Skyward Sword will be a great game, even if it's nothing like what I had initially expected...

I thought the E3 demonstration was hard to watch, too. I had feared that something would mess up the gameplay when they were first getting into Skyward Sword--and it did. It was literally a breath of relief when I heard that the game works perfectly fine on the booth demos, though. Zelda is a series with flawless control, so it was quite a surprise to me when I saw the Bow mess up in front of all those people...

I'm really wondering why you seem to dislike Twilight Princess so much, but I guess I shouldn't ask. Personally, TP was my favorite Zelda game so far. I loved the music and art style! XD

The Whip seemed cool, too, but it's already been used in Spirit Tracks, so it wasn't that much of a surprise. The 8 item thing was because they said that "they would make less items but make them much more effective." I think that this is slightly better than what they did in the past. For example, in Twilight Princess, we had tons of items, but most of them were basically useless after their respective dungeon. The Spinner, for example. And the Ball & Chain. And the Dominion Rod. All of those...

I can't say much about the music, since I was focusing more on how fast Link can sprint in this game compared to older titles during the demo than the background music. :p I mean, the sprinting just made me overly optimistic about the game when I was clearly skeptical about it initially. I don't know why that is... The sprinting was just... Incredible. O_O

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom