• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler My New Timeline (MAJOR SKYWARD SWORD SPOILERS)

Rytex

Resident Netizen
Well, I finished Skyward Sword yesterday, and so, without further ado, my new timeline is presented!

Key: CoH = Creation of Hyrule, WoT1 = War of/over Triforce Number 1 ((SS Backstory), WoT2 = War of/over Triforce Number 2 (Imprisoning War), EoH = Establishment of Hyrule (pre-Minish Cap), FUH = Full Unification of Hyrule (Pre-Ocarina of Time), FDoG = Final Destruction of Ganon (Linked Oracle Games).
Font effects: Bold = Game, Italics = Major Event, BoldItalics = Major Game (duh)
One more note: For MC/WoT2, it means that it came right after it... Not that it was a game...
These are major events that affect the timeline, therefore, I think they deserve a spot on it.

This timeline is incredibly complicated!

...................../-?
CoH-WoT1-SS
.....................\...Adult Link Saga............/-TWW/PH-ST
Zelda Proper TL:EoH-TMC/WoT2-FUH/OoT
..........................Child Link Saga............\MM-TP-4S/4SA-ALttP/LA-TLoZ/TAoL-OoX/FDoG

Here comes the explanation:

In the beginning, the goddesses created the Triforce and the Hyrule. Hyrule has been created. Numerous gods and demigods exist alongside them. Among them are Demise and Hylia. Demise wants the Triforce so he can rule the world. He sets out to gain it. In the process, Hylia hides it and sends Skyloft into the sky. Demise is sealed away for thousands of years, held by Zelda from the future. Ages pass until the events of Skyward Sword take place. The placement of SS should be obvious, due to the fact that Hyrule is established, the Master Sword is forged, and the reason for the entire series is explained.

Well, here comes the fun part. There is another split in the timeline. It sounds terribly too complicated, but here's the logic behind this. In the original continuity of the game, Zelda goes back to the past to keep Demise sealed, right? Here's the thing. In the future, Ghirahim kidnaps Zelda and takes her back to the past where she was keeping Demise sealed. Now, the past is altered because Ghirahim frees Demise and Link defeats him. So now, there are two past ages. One, where Zelda sleeps and Demise is still sealed away, and the other Past, where Demise was freed and destroyed early. The latter is the side of the split where continuity of the series truly begins. In the other continuity, Link left, taking the Master Sword with him, there is no Demise (due to him being dead), and basically, the entire series on this side has been completed.

So now, on the side of Continuity, let us begin.

Well, at the end of the game, Zelda decides to stay on the planet. Well, this will eventually lead to the establishment of the Royal Family and the Nation of Hyrule.

This makes Minish Cap the next game. Only one real explanation I can give is that the land is immensely smaller than Ocarina of Time's Hyrule is, meaning the kingdom isn't quite stable enough to expand. Well, Vaati comes and he is sealed in the Four Sword.

The second war begins at the end (the Imprisoning War). The monsters are invading. Someone finds the Golden Land. The search for the Triforce to rid the land of monsters and make one legendary begins. The dark interlopers (Sheikah tribe?) are banished.

Now, this part is completely assumption from clues in the AoL instruction book as well as past events.
In the AoL Instruction book, it says that the Prince of Hyrule believed that his sister knew about the location of the Triforce and got a wizard to try to force her to tell him the location. I believe the prince is Daphnes Nohansen Hyrule, the wizard is Vaati, and the Zelda is the original Zelda from Minish Cap.

Here are the reasons for the above...
1. Daphnes somehow survived, healthy, for at least one hundred years to watch his kingdom vanish. He was most likely cursed to watch this happen, and this would be a plausible trigger for the curse.
2. At this point, Vaati would probably be the only wizard powerful enough to force the Princess to tell. He also may have bargained with Daphnes to let him get the Light Force in exchange for forcing her to tell the location of the Triforce.
3. the Original Zelda would still have the Light Force inside her, making her a target for revenge and/as well as power for Vaati and Daphnes.
Zelda is put into a deep sleep, and daphnes turns on Vaati or vice versa. either way, Vaati winds up sealed in the Four Sword and Daphnes is cursed. He sets the decree that all firstborn females will have the name Zelda, and he puts her in the Northern Palace.

At some point, Four Swords takes place. nothing much to say about it. The King soon unites Hyrule to the state it is in in Ocarina of Time. During the fighting, Link's mother dies and leaves him in the Deku Tree's care. This makes Ocarina of Time next.

The famed original split occurs here, so I will start with Child side.

The obvious sequel is Majora's Mask.

After saving the world, Link continues searching for Navi. Whether or not he wants to return to Hyrule is now irrelevant.

At some point during the long interval, Ganon gets banished to the Twilight Realm. He influences Zant and takes over the Twilight Realm through him. Soon, it spills over into Hyrule, making Twilight Princess next.

As always, reasons:
1. Old Kakariko is seen, ransacked, and only one person living in it. It's sign has the same characters as the one in Ocarina of Time.
2. Hyrule hasn't been flooded, meaning it's still in Hyrule and not someplace else.
3. Skull kid is alive and still knows Saria's Song.
4. Hyrule is bigger and has a small province to call its own.

Ganondorf is killed at the end of the game. Nevertheless, Twinrova were never killed in this timeline, keep that in mind.
Next, Vaati's seal has weakened, 4 Swords happens, the end. His seal weakens again, and this time, he resurrects Ganon through his hatred (I'm assuming), just like Zant and the Twili did. Four Swords Adventures comes next, causing Ganondorf to become sealed in the Sacred Realm, where he finds the Triforce and creates the Dark World. After it at some point comes A Link to the Past.

More reasons...
1. The terrain looks similar to how it did in 4SA.
2. Ganon has the trident he got in 4SA and resides in the Dark world. He's also now a pig, like at the end of 4SA.

At the end of the game, Link undoes everything by wishing the game's events undone. want proof?
1. Link's uncle died. He "recovered" at the end.
2. the King was killed by Agahnim. He "returned" at the end.
3. The Dark World disappeared, returing to the Golden Land.
4. Ganon returned for TLoZ.
5. Many Characters who had been sealed there returned to the Light World (such as Flute Boy who turned into a tree).
Enough proof?

Now, Ganon is resurrected in this process, as I said. Here's the thing. Why did he remain in Pig form? I think he can't change back. He's stuck in the Dark World without the Moon Pearl, and so his Pig form is now his only form.

Link's Awakening is a direct sequel to the game.

The Legend of Zelda is next, further on down the timeline. Ganon breaks free from the Sacred Realm he was trapped in, and so he captures Zelda. Zelda shatters the Triforce of Wisdom, sending the pieces all over Hyrule, and instructing Impa to find any hero and to tell him to assemble the Triforce and rescue her. The new Link does this, and kills Ganon yet again, taking the Triforce of Power for himself, while returning the Triforce of Wisdom to Zelda.

They've only found two Triforce pieces: Wisdom and Power. Courage is still hidden. Ganon gets completely destroyed here. Now, a few months later, the new Link finds the original Zelda and restores her, making The Adventure of Link next. At some point soon, the full Triforce is put in Hyrule Castle.

Finally comes the Oracle games. Since Twinrova has never been killed on this end (they were only killed in the Adult Timeline), they go about making their mischief, and causing Onox and Veran to screw with Holodrum and Labrynna respectively. When all is said and done in both places, they attempt to resurrect Ganon once again, sacrificing themselves. They only succeed in resurrecting a mindless Ganon and, as such, he proves easy for Link to utterly destroy.

Now for the Adult Timeline...
Wind Waker is next, albeit a hundred years after Ocarina of Time (at least).
Ganon matured after being sealed in the Sacred Realm for a long time. but he gets sealed in stone at the end of the game.
Tetra and Link set off to find the New Hyrule, though it will be their land.
Phantom Hourglass is next, due to it being a direct sequel. A hundred years after that, Spirit tracks comes. Now, the Triforce was reunited in TWW, but I think that somehow, someway, it gets put in the other land's castle, though Hyrule IS explicitly mentioned.

This ends the timeline. Yay.

How'd I do?

Please rate based on facts, not opinions. Does it fit and do the games flow well together like this? is what I'm asking.

Last edited:

Rytex

Resident Netizen
They didn't explain that there is none! They simply said "No, there won't be"! He has not beaten and/or played it!

Listen, that article was written before the writer beat the game. He doesn't know what he's talking about just yet. I have beaten the game, I have over-thought this, I DO know what I am talking about. As to whether I am right or not remains to be seen. I do not intend to smear you or him in any way, but seriously. Before you believe an article, make sure the guy who's written it has played and beaten the game in question. This guy has not. Well, strike that. He may have, but didn't notice this. In any case, he is still ignorant of this point.

So, other than that, how was it, everyone?

umm what point? he basically explains how time travel in SS works differently and that following the word usage in game and the appearance of the sealed zelda when the unsealed one is with impa in the same time means that it is the same timeline just different times in it.

also OoT has to be right after SS due to the deku tree declaring that hyrule is only ten years old in Oot

Rytex

Resident Netizen
umm what point? he basically explains how time travel in SS works differently and that following the word usage in game and the appearance of the sealed zelda when the unsealed one is with impa in the same time means that it is the same timeline just different times in it.

also OoT has to be right after SS due to the deku tree declaring that hyrule is only ten years old in Oot

Different times in the same line? Demise is killed twice. The first time, he gets a whole island dropped on him. The other death is him being killed by Link. No one can be killed twice (unless your name is Ganondorf) and nowhere does it say Demise was brought back to life. He was destroyed in the Present, after completing Sky Keep. In the First Past, he was sealed away and Zelda sealed herself in Crystal to keep him locked up. Well, in the Second Past (which started as the First), Demise was brought back early, when Ghirahim took the newly freed Zelda back and offered her as a sacrifice. Basically, you're not getting it. It's not at different times in the same line. Different times in the same line would mean Demise has to be sealed away again (his REMAINS were, but not he himself, and in any case, he would need to be sealed in the ground, not the Master Sword), and the Master Sword couldn't be stuck in the Pedestal of Time, if it is to correspond to the Present. However, he wasn't, it wasn't, and a separate universe was created. There are now two (three if you count OoT) Space-Time continuums.

What I fail to see is your logic in that they are the same timeline, different times. I have given you a staggering amount of evidence contrary to your point, both in the timeline above, and here. Explain to me, then, why it takes place in the same timeline. Right now, you offer no evidence to it and are basically saying "It is because it is." See Circular Reasoning.

Batman

Not all those who wander are lost...
Rytex said:
In the other continuity, Link left, taking the Master Sword with him, there is no Demise (due to him being dead), and basically, the entire series on this side has been completed.
I'm really intrigued by your timeline. Perhaps it's my inability to understand your reasoning, but, could you explain this quote better. I'm not sure I know what you mean by this. Where did Link go? What happens to Zelda in this continuum?

Rytex

Resident Netizen
I'm really intrigued by your timeline. Perhaps it's my inability to understand your reasoning, but, could you explain this quote better. I'm not sure I know what you mean by this. Where did Link go? What happens to Zelda in this continuum?

They left this side of the Timeline. Ghirahim took Zelda, and Link went after her. The series, in essence, has been completed on this branch.

the Island dropping on him sealed him in in the first place. and again you give no evidence i think you need to type this evidence instead of just radiating rage

Well, here comes the fun part. There is another split in the timeline. It sounds terribly too complicated, but here's the logic behind this. In the original continuity of the game, Zelda goes back to the past to keep Demise sealed, right? Here's the thing. In the future, Ghirahim kidnaps Zelda and takes her back to the past where she was keeping Demise sealed. Now, the past is altered because Ghirahim frees Demise and Link defeats him. So now, there are two past ages. One, where Zelda is still sealed away, and the other, where Demise was freed and destroyed. The latter is the side of the split where continuity of the series truly begins. In the other continuity, Link left, taking the Master Sword with him, there is no Demise (due to him being dead), and basically, the entire series on this side has been completed.
this is ONE death of demise not 2....

and as for evidence how about looking in sealed temple. impas bracelet and if you look through the crack in the wall you can see zelda in the sealed form....how is this NO EVIDENCE. LE DERRRR!

Batman

Rytex said:
Here's the thing. In the future, Ghirahim kidnaps Zelda and takes her back to the past where she was keeping Demise sealed. Now, the past is altered because Ghirahim frees Demise and Link defeats him. So now, there are two past ages. One, where Zelda is still sealed away, and the other, where Demise was freed and destroyed.

I'm not sure that this creates two past ages. Zelda is sealed away in the past to keep Demise from taking his true form, after Link kills The imprisoned (Demise) in the future, Zelda is free to awaken in the future. Ghirahim then captures the newly awakened Zelda and takes her back to the past to revive Demise (this same past is where Zelda is still sleeping). Demise is reawakened and Link defeats him. Afterwards; Link and Zelda go back through the Gate of Time to the future. I'm curious, why do you think Ghirahim's actions caused two pasts? Isn't it really just one past in which events are changed due to Link, Zelda, and Ghirahim's trip back through the Gate of Time? If Demise is killed in the past then Zelda (in the past) no longer needs to sleep, but this Zelda is the awakened one from the future. So events have been changed, allowed by the Gate of Time. There aren't two pasts, just one, but this one has been altered.
But I don't know, I'm really confused, even by my own statement. Maybe your right. This is why I try not to deal with timeline theories. :P
What do you think about what I said? I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just confused by your reasoning. Correct me if I'm wrong on something.

Rytex

Resident Netizen
the Island dropping on him sealed him in in the first place. and again you give no evidence i think you need to type this evidence instead of just radiating rage

this is ONE death of demise not 2....

and as for evidence how about looking in sealed temple. impas bracelet and if you look through the crack in the wall you can see zelda in the sealed form....how is this NO EVIDENCE. LE DERRRR!

The "LE DERRRRR!" was unnecessary.

This post is for the both of you.

If I'm radiating rage, I do apologize. But here's the thing. Fi confirms that Demise has been eradicated when Sky Keep is dropped on him. He was not sealed, he was eradicated. Fi's monologue here confirms this when she says "Master, I have confirmed the eradication of the Demon King." She confirms the sealing of his remains into the Master Sword later, after you beat him. Now, he was breaking out of his prison just as SK fell on top of him. The scale-feather-things that covered him did NOT reform under the temple where his seal would have been, like they had earlier. Furthermore, if Demise was sealed in the Present, why would Ghirahim need to return to the past to undo said seal? He's proven himself powerful enough to be able to move the Statue of the Goddess previously in the game, so why didn't he do it? Answer, Demise is gone at that time. So, that continuity, where there is no Master Sword, no Zelda, no Link, and no Demise, is of no further use to him. So he goes back to the past and completely alters the events in it by bringing out Demise. That first Past has been screwed up, but it continues on regardless. I mean, if you want evidence where timelines continue even after events in them have been altered, look at the Adult Timeline after Ocarina of Time and compare it with the Child Timeline, where in one timeline, Ganondorf rose to power and screwed Hyrule over, but in the other, he never rose to power, due to Link telling the King. Didn't cause them to have the same events at all. It caused them to completely split off from each other.

Impa's bracelet is no support. It was given to her after Demise was gone, so it has no choice but to happen when they return to the Present. Now, if it had been given to Impa BEFORE Demise's destruction, I would have conceded that argument. Also, yes, Zelda is sleeping in Crystal after Demise is freed (which creates an interesting question. What happened to her if this is the same timeline, and there is no longer a reason for her to sleep?). She has to be freed sometime. But here's the thing. Sleeping for a thousand years for no reason (the seal has been completely broken up and the sealed person destroyed) other than to ensure timeline continuity doesn't seem likely. But so much has already changed. For one, the Master Sword is stuck in the Pedestal of Time (which was conceived from hammerspace) in the Past, and when they return to the Present, it is still there. Now, it had not been there before, in the entire game. If it were truly the same timeline, it would have been there the whole time. But this is something often ignored by developers (I mean, look at OoT and the plants. All the bean plants would have been there already, even without you planting them, since you would go back and plant them). But something of this scale? I don't think so. I think they knew what they were doing (which is part of the reason why one of the timeline branches no longer has a purpose).

Batman

I like your timeline as a whole. I'm still unsure about SS's timeline split, but otherwise your timeline theory seems pretty good to me. It's all pretty logical. I'll give your SS analysis some more thought.

sorry for the derr i had a bad day.
basically as i understood it

current impa went back in time to prepare the sealed temple for links coming and to watch over the sealed zelda and demise who had just been imprisoned 1 kya as they were prophocied to do. IMO the zelda the imprisoned eats is sealed zelda. Modern zelda finished being purified earlier becoming a proper vessel for the goddess and went back ahead of impa. Ghirahim never went back in time. he narrowly avoided the initial sealing of demise and has waited this whole time for the seal to weaken enough for him to steal the sealed goddess and free demise.

also as to later in your time line in Oot it says hyrule is only ten years old so Oot logically direct follows SS

Rytex

Resident Netizen
The problem with that is that Ghirahim, while he did wait for the seal to weaken, had no choice but to go back in time. His Master was dead in the Present, and the only place where he was still alive was the Past, so he went there.

Impa was from the Past and was sent forward to guard Zelda. She did so, guarded her sleeping Crystal form, and when Demise was killed, stayed alive to meet Zelda when she returned to the present.

And The Imprisond never really eats Zelda. He does absorb her power, reverting Zelda back to a complete mere mortal, but nevertheless, it is the Zelda Ghirahim kidnapped, because he does fling her into the air, and Groose saves her.

I think the key here is in SS, final boss battle, Demise says he will always return in a different form, and the battle will continue for eternity. Imagine a being able to live for 3,000 years exists. First he sees Demise battle Hylia to the point that Hylia retreats to a human form. Later on, he sees this physical form return with Ghirahim, to resurrect Demise in (perhaps) similar form. 1,000 years pass and he sees the Demon Lord in a new form be taken down after 3 failed attempts at resurrection (no Hylian soul). Hyrule continues on from here with no timesplit.

Batman

Link kills Demise in the 'future', allowing Zelda to awaken. Then, as the result of Ghirahim's actions, Link as well as Zelda and Ghirahim travel back through the Gate of Time. Ghirahim revives Demise and Link kills him. I understand that this causes a split timeline. Because in one timeline the future will never be affected by The Imprisoned as he's killed shortly after he's initially sealed by Hylia. But this should not affect Link and Zelda because they travel back through the Gate of Time which acts as a bridge from the past (no matter what events occured there) to the future (that Link and Zelda left, after Demise was killed in the future). The Gate of Time connects the one specific future that we played through in the game to the past (which can be altered however it wants). The past will affect the future, I understand that, but not from the point of view of someone travleing through the Gate of Time. The Gate of Time is the key here; it connects two specifics. No matter what happens to the future as a result of Link killing Demise in the past, Link and Zelda will expierience a different future (the one where Link's Triforce wish killed The Imprisoned and the one where Zelda woke up) as long as they travel back through the Gate. The future on the other side of the gate will always be the same one we played through in the game no matter how the past is altered. On the 'past' side of the Gate however, things will definitely play out differently for the future. Do you see what I mean Rytex? Is this what you're trying to say?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom