• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Zelda Art My (mostly Zelda Related) Ceramic Creations.

the moon from Majora's Mask!

shaped from a clay sphere, can't think of anything special to say, it's one of my early pieces so it's a bit ugly, but the moon is ugly in the first place!

DSCF3759.jpg

the fired bomb, moon, sword and flute

DSCF3398.jpg

Talking about the flute, I made another one soon afterwards, featuring some patterns from the master sword('s sheath) in high relief(is it what it called?)

Diatonically tuned to D when it was wet, and after it's fired it's now D#. So in my case it goes up half a step due to shrinkage during drying and firing. It can reach a little more than two octaves, which is pretty good.

DSCF3393.jpg

DSCF3396.jpg

As always, after firing I found it to be a bit rubbish. The blow hole is still sort of small and it bent a little bit during the firing because of the uneven temperature of the kiln or the "memory" of the clay. One thing for sure is that I'm going to make another one with smoother surface and sharper and cleaner patterns, and use this one for glaze testing.

DSCF3678.jpg

I just love making flutes, partly because I've been playing them for five years, partly because it's just a simple, elegant instrument. I think at some point there will be a zelda game featuring a flute(not the pan flute) as the musical instrument.

Katelynn

Flirtatously Flirty
Wow, very nice art! I'm surprised people use that O__O

It's been a long time since i've been on ZD, and apparently i've missed some fabulous artists!

Gemquarry

The Inquirer
Wow! your work is amazing! I didn't even know making Zelda stuff look this good was possible! think you can make Zelda figures? or better yet, Nintendo figures? I'd personally would love to see a Pit figure or maybe a Marth figure, or just one of the Brawl cast as a whole. ;)

Woot! beautiful flute!

Last edited:
Wow! your work is amazing! I didn't even know making Zelda stuff look this good was possible! think you can make Zelda figures? or better yet, Nintendo figures? I'd personally would love to see a Pit figure or maybe a Marth figure, or just one of the Brawl cast as a whole. ;)

Woot! beautiful flute!

One thing I'm not sure I am able to do is to make figures, I feel that figures are far harder to make than ordinary items and I just started on ceramics, so I haven't tried it yet. Also, I tend to make things that are unique and personal to me, and I already know how link looks like ;)

WOW, really like the bombs and the flute. When do you plan on glazing and fireing them again? That'd make them look amazing

Another musical instrument, kokiri panflute!

It's a very simple panflute with five pipes, and since the pitch of the note depend entirely on the pipe length, 2 of them have the same note, I'm using 5 purely for cosmetic reasons.

the notes are F, A and B, so when played from inside out it's saria's song, and from outside in, it's song of healing.

DSCF3674.jpg

DSCF3675.jpg

I just coated it with white and green slip yesterday and right now it's in the kiln being fired again, I'm planning on glazing it this weekend with (green-ish)turquoise glaze and red glaze for the kokiri symbol (assuming the commercial red glazes works. It's extremely difficult to get color red in ceramics without using lead, and during my experiment the commercial red glaze turned out to be completely transparent in the end, maybe I applied it too thin. Glazing is a completely different world form painting as all the organic colorants will burn away at the firing temperature so the all the colors in glaze are from metal ions and is pretty unpredictable, and you can't mix colors like you do in painting.)

A heart piece from skyward sword!
I had the plan to make one of this but was just not bothered, then on a very slow day I finally decided to make it, which turned out to be pretty decent, would make a pretty nice decoration.

DSCF3503.jpg

Then it blew up in the kiln! It was hollow inside and I supposed to drill a air hole to let the pressure out during the firing. I did exactly that, except the airhole didn't quite reach the air pocket inside, so the pressure built up during the firing and KABOOM!

How heartbreaking(!!!!!)

DSCF3680.jpg

progress update!

A new firing was done tonight and I was able to have some of my pieces cooked and also see the result of my experiments.

the kokiri panflute was fired again with white slip to make the background brighter :

DSCF3874.jpg

then it's dipped with emerald green glaze, and I'm going to scrape away emerald glaze around the symbol and brush red glaze on the kokiri symbol, if it all goes well it would be the first piece that I actually finish since I took up ceramics!

DSCF3893.jpg

Meanwhile, a bowl and mug I made was cooked, they are all wheel thrown and look ridiculous. I found it pretty hard to work on wheels, so I'm going to ignore that for now and focus on hand building.

DSCF3889.jpg

the result of "intense red" commercial glaze was out, I think it looks not bad, although it's not that intense, and not that red! It probably can go on my rupee if everything else fails, what do you think? which color would you like to see on the rupee?

DSCF3890.jpg

Also a quick experiment with colored super slip and 3134 based crackle glaze.
I was lazy so the glaze is unfiltered and lumps of it became the white thing on the wall. Instead of cracking like crackle glaze suppose to do, it pulled the slips out of the clay body! But it does looks really good, the recipe is really runny and it ran all the way to the bottom and brought the colors down with it.

DSCF3886.jpg

ceramics is fun!

Been working all afternoon, glazed the kokiri panflute and the first master sword flute, made some test tiles and started another firing, can't wait to see the results tomorrow.

the glazed panflute, emerald green and red kokiri symbol, they will look like those colors after firing.

DSCF3894.jpg

The flute, deep yellow overglaze and dark blue background

DSCF3903.jpg

loaded kiln, those grey pieces are made from raku clay, which I will try some later this month, been working with earthenware most of the time.

DSCF3906.jpg

Last edited:
Wow great job. You're really good at this. The Majora's Mask moon looks awesome by the way.

The Kokiri Pan Flute is done! My first ever finished ceramic piece since I started ceramics. Glossy emerald green glaze over white slip with red glaze on the symbol. The emerald green glaze is a bit thin so you can see the white slip beneath it, which is quite nice. I'm extremely happy about how it turned out, I was expecting something much worse.

Had to break out my thousand year old nikon D70s to take some quality(sort of) picture, but I converted it to an infrared camera last year so now the color is all weird. The red is a lot deeper than what it is in the picture, same as the red on the kokiri shield, the green is pretty accurate though. I'll do another photo shoot with a better camera, backdrops and better lighting after I finished everything(if I can find a better camera, backdrops and better lighting).

It plays three notes, F, A and B, the first three notes of saria's song, also the theme of lost woods. And if you play it backwards, you'll hear song of healing. I tuned it with wax and it's now pretty accurate.

DSCF3453.jpg

DSCF3675.jpg

DSCF3874.jpg

DSCF3893.jpg

DSCF3894.jpg

DSC3078.jpg

DSC3065.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom