• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Zelda Art My (mostly Zelda Related) Ceramic Creations.

Well, I have access to a ceramic workshop right now so I thought it would be fun to make something special and personal by myself, or maybe just learn something new and kill some time. So far I have already made a bunch of items, some of them are zelda related or inspired, and I'm going to post the pictures of them here as I go along. should be an interesting read for you guys.

Almost all of them are unglazed and it's going to take a long time since I'm going to experiment a lot with different recipes, but I'm not in a hurry anyway and I think I can get them all done within this year.

Also, you can visit my deviantArt gallery as well but it will mostly be the same, and I tend to post only finished stuff on there.

First up: Majora's mask:

This is actually the very first item I made in clay, I knew absolutely nothing about the personality of earthenware clay at that time and kept rewetting the greenware so I could make modification on details, then the water started to break down the clay and all the tentacles fell off. But it doesn't matter because it looks rubbish anyway, I kept it to use as a test piece for the glazes.

DSCF3671.jpg

Naturally I made another one afterwards, which is much better looking and is still in one piece, so far so good.

DSCF3679.jpg

A rupee, actually harder than I thought to make, it's not that easy to make two halves line up.

DSCF3677.jpg

Bomb Flower from Skyward Sword

This is also one of the early pieces I made, difference is that it doesn't look crap. I have applied some underglaze on it and it will be fired, sanded and then fired again with clear glaze. The final color will be deeper than what it is now.
The clay at the bottom are supports, not part of the piece.

DSCF3368.jpg

DSCF3758.jpg

chuchu from the wind waker, they are so cute that I just have to make one, coil built.

DSCF3440.jpg

DSCF3676.jpg

Last edited:
That is fantastic! I love the rupee and the mask is wonderful. I hope once you have them all glazed and finished you will post those photos!

Zelda's bracelet from the Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword.
it's actually not that hard to make, I drew the pattern on paper, wrap the paper around the leather hard clay and cut the hollow bits away with a little paper cutting knife, most of the time spent was waiting for clay to dry to the point that it won't deform when cutting. and the finished stuff looks pretty good:

DSCF3541.jpg

however, after it's fired I realized it's actually pretty bad.

DSCF3673.jpg

Glaze is going to runaway from all those sharp edges, and the finish of the center of the trifoce is rubbish. So I made another one that focuses much more on the detail, but I'll post it some other day.

Meanwhile....

a familiar sight which unleashes all the destructive instinct of link, a pot!

Actually I started out to make a water jar with a handle that I can use but before I realized it went too tall and a bit fat in the middle so I closed it up and a pot appeared, There's nothing inside(for now), hope no one will break it!

DSCF3571.jpg

that's it for today's update, I'm going to get most of the boring ones out of the way first since I have some really interesting stuff up my sleeve.

Pinkfish11

Korean language student
Nice pot! You could put the rupee in there. ;) And Zelda's bracelet looks cool! Sorry about the glaze issue though.

A flute and the white sword.

The flute is the first one I ever made(that actually works:-)), diatonically tuned to F when it was wet, and after it dries and fired it's now F#, the blowhole was too small so the sound is a bit dull and muted. I wrote a little program in java to calculate the finger hole position on the clay tube, which turned out to be pretty accurate(most of the time).

the white sword was very simple to make, nothing particular fancy, just cut is from a clay slab.

DSCF3372.jpg

However, both are completely ruined by my first glazing attempt, the majolica doesn't seem to like the clay under it and/or the deep blue glaze on top of it and as you can see from the picture there are some crawling where the clay beneath glaze are revealed, and also I don't feel there was enough opacifier in the majolica glaze that you can still see the color of the red clay near the edge (or maybe I just applied it too thin).

DSCF3629.jpg

The flute is worse, I tried dipping but the container is not long enough for a flute so I had to dip from both ends, so the middle bit didn't get much glaze at all, and also the interior was glazed, which melted and messed up the inside. Amazingly the flute still works, but I'm not bothered to take a picture of it right now.

Also, there seems to be another zelda fan that's been using the ceramic lab, and as far as I can see, what he made was a melted ocarina(with completely wrong finger hole positions):

DSCF3760.jpg

Actually that was exactly what I wanted to make, to see what happens if link was not able to stop the moon from crashing and was killed in termina. Earthenware doesn't start to melt until it's around 2192 degree Fahrenheit, and other ceramic materials even higher, what a terrible fate to die like that!

These look amazing. I like to work with ceramics too, but unfortunately I don't have the materials or the space to keep anything I would make. Your lucky that you can do this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom