• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Zelda Art My (mostly Zelda Related) Ceramic Creations.

Awesome!!! I love how the color turned out!
Also, did you make that Yoshiesque egg?

That's actually wind fish's egg, but it doesn't really look like it so that's the problem. It's a test piece anyway, I already made another one.

Talking about pan flutes, the kokiri pan flute was actually just a test piece to see how it is like to build something bigger. I had an idea a couple of weeks ago, when I was reading about ancient panflutes. Some of them are of a unique symmetrical shape that resembles a bird's outstretched wings, and its use in the religious ceremonies of the time was symbolic of the phoenix, the legendary fire-bird that represented life, death, and resurrection. Of course in this case it would be the loft wing, or just the the bird symbol. I made some pipes, join them together with clay, and carved the bird on the front some patterns and letters on the back, maybe you can even understand what it says if you try a little bit.

Being a zelda fan, one thing I am not fond of at all is putting three triangles and the hyrule crest on every possible things(I also started a post about this Think of something other than M. sword and triforce that represents the zelda series - Zelda Universe Forums). Although it's a good and effective way to show the love for the game, to me it's just a bit too "common", and in fact, boring. Everyone has his/her unique and personal feelings and connections toward the things they love, and I believe the way to show that should as well. So no triforce on this one and I used the bird instead of the hyrule crest, same thing but looks better.

I quite like the finished design and even I have to say it looks truly epic, although the bird symbol on the front could be a little bit higher. And actually I think it can be made into to separate halves so link and zelda could each have one part and then s!!t happens and so and so. I might make another one if I really don't like the finished work, but right now I love it.

I made 29 pipes for this, which was quite a pain to do, and since it's symmetric there are 15 notes, a little more than two octaves. It will be tuned diatonically in C but I will do that after everything else has been finished since to do that I have to use melted wax to shorten the pipe length(they are all a little longer than it needs to be to make room for shrinkage), and if it's ever fired again all the wax will just evaporate.

I'm going to sand it a little bit to get rid of the sharp edges on the opening of the pipe so glaze will stay and it won't cut my lip, and one thing I'm not quite certain about is the color to glaze it. Right now I want it in dark matte black with deep blood red on the bird symbol and patterns on the back, but if you have any other ideas, comment and let me know.

DSCF3508.jpg

DSCF3514.jpg

DSCF3520.jpg

DSCF3816.jpg

DSCF3866.jpg

DSCF3876.jpg

DSCF3877.jpg

Wind Fish Egg Xun

Xun is an very interesting musical instrument originated from ancient china, it's basically an ocarina without the mouth piece. In an ocarina you blow through the mouthpiece and it sends the air into the voicing edge where it vibrates and make sound. In this you do it with your lip. The rest is complete the same as ocarina and xun are both Helmholtz resonators and the pitch of the sound depend entirely on the surface area of opened holes, and no overblowing. This one was thrown on a wheel, I also coil built one but it looked s!!t.

Since there's no mouth piece, it's a little harder to play than an ocarina, but if you know how to play flutes there would be no problems. It produce a rich, dark and deep sound. It has 8 holes, 6 in the front and 2 in the back. White majolica with deep pinkish underglaze.

There are several problems with it, firstly it doesn't look too much like Wind Fish's egg, in fact it doesn't look too much like an egg at all, and I drilled the holes too close to the blowhole so it won't make any sound for the last two notes in the range. I'm already making another one so hopefully it will get better.

DSCF3704.jpg

DSCF3745.jpg

DSCF3880.jpg

DSCF3896.jpg

DSCF3914.jpg

The first, rather crappy flute is used by me to test glazes, which turned out pretty well. The deep blue glaze is really nice and the yellow underglaze is working well, I didn't apply it too think so it's not that yellow, but I can do it if I want. There are some pinholing on the blue glaze, I might try another one for the final flute.

DSCF3903.jpg

DSCF3916.jpg

Done a bunch of stuff tonight, firstly since the master sword flute glaze test turned out pretty well, I decided to keep it and applied more deep yellow underglazes. It will be fired again, and will probably look more business like.

DSCF3928.jpg

in the mean time I repainted my bomb flower to make the color smoother, and it will also be fired again today.

DSCF3927.jpg

Made another Xun tonight that actually works, it still doesn't look like an egg though.

DSCF3948.jpg

I made a couple of bowls and mugs so I don't have to buy any when I move into an apartment later this year. I used one particular **** looking one to play with oxides and sgraffito, painted link with epona in the woods, basically the opening of the majora's mask. It's kind of abstract and blurry so it looks more creepy and aged, but actually because just I suck at drawing.

DSCF3944.jpg

The bomb flower and the bowl were both coated with clear glaze. I'm expecting a lot form the bomb, but for the bowl the clear glaze probably won't like the oxide, and the underglaze will hate it too, so it may turn out something weird but I don't have too much hope in it anyway.

DSCF3949.jpg

I'll have a glaze firing today so everything you seen in this post will be out on friday!

That is a real talent you have their! I could never be so patient with that stuff xD
Everything you've made looks professionally done! Keep up the good work! :)

Gemquarry

The Inquirer
Yeah, I understand, personal things are pretty awesome, especially if the thing was given to you by a friend :). I actually took up crochet so I could make myself Zelda plush, I'm not that good at it yet, and so far the only thing I've made was a snake with little purple beads for eyes. I'm getting better so who knows, maybe some day I'll be making plushies for other people someday. ;)

plenty of fails in the past few days, I retouched my little panflute but I mistook turquoise glaze for emerald, and now it has some blue spots on the surface. I have put some more emerald on and it's being fired again, hopefully it will get better.

DSCF4001.jpg

the Big Crappy Bowl with Crappy Oxide Painting turned out to be pretty good, by that I mean it's working like a bowl. The clear glaze has run away from some oxide spots, and all the colors have disappeared. This will be retouched and fired again.

DSCF3997.jpg

the bomb flower is finally finished and it looks absolutely ****, but I'm done with it now, don't wanna touch it ever again.

DSCF4002.jpg

another thing I've ruined is the first flute, you thought putting some more yellow underglaze and fire it again will make it better right? The blue glaze turned a bit gray and the flute bent even more! how useless!

DSCF4006.jpg

another bowl I made, majolica with some oxide power underneath, expect the majolica was not thick enough. I applied more and it's back into the oven.

DSCF4005.jpg

Top secret low fire red glaze I found in the backroom, works brilliantly, this will go on the symbols of the massive zelda panflute.

DSCF4004.jpg

A glaze called "love child" I found on the internet, blue matte with very wildly changing surface texture, except it's not food safe!

DSCF4012.jpg

and look, someone made a triforce teapot! I would never make one of those hippie teapots because, well, I don't drink teas.

DSCF4011.jpg

The Rupee is finished!
The top secret low-fire red glaze in the back room went on my rupee. I just love this shiny, smooth, deep, intense, flowing red glaze, and I think it fits well on the rupee, it ran away from edges so there's no red there.
I'm think I'm going to make another rupee with sharper edges and cleaner finish sometime later this year.
One thing I realized is that if you are doing ceramics don't expect the first of anything you make to be any good, it will always be rubbish and you have to make several to come up with a decent one, it takes time.

You'll notice there are three holes in the back, that's from the feet of the tripod. I have to prop it up during the glaze firing otherwise the melted glaze will stick to the shelf and I'll never get it off.

I think the backside looks better than the front, apart from the three holes, but I can't do anything about it.

DSCF4015.jpg

DSCF4016.jpg

one of my bowl with colored slip inside, I'm going to glaze it then the color will truly show.

DSCF4019.jpg

tableware of logic gates: tow input OR gate water pitcher and two input AND gate mug(which is a bit small).

DSCF4017.jpg

did I mention I'm a electrical and computer engineer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom