• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

My "Leaving Skyloft" Theories

Anemos

Master of Chaos
Well, I've seen a lot of stuff on what Aonuma is calling the "incident" that causes Link to leave Skyloft. I was just daydreaming a moment ago when I had three ideas.

Theory #1
Link was living on Skyloft with a few other people who he, as usual, cares about. Then, somehow the "evil" from below some how finds Skyloft and kills/kidnaps/attacks the people there.

Link then feels inclined to go down and defeat the evil that had attacked them. Before that, however, he goes to get the sacred sword of his people to aid him in his quest. After that, he jumps off Skyloft into the world below.

Theory #2
One of Link's friends accidentally falls off of Skyloft and Link decides to go rescue them. He grabs the Skyward Sword and jumps after his friend.

Theory #3

One of Link's friends discovers the world below and decides to investigate, but does not return for a long time. Link then decides to go after him, grabbing the Skyward Sword to assist him.

Could any of these be true? Only time will tell, with that stupid 2011 release.

Feel free to discuss the ideas.

It doesn't look like that in the trailer. It looks like he's actually doing it on purpose.
EternalNocturne might be right, maybe the picture in the trailer was when he already knew about the world below and had been there before, but maybe he was returning if that makes sense lol.

Hylian Pants

Nintendo Wench
Theory #1
Link was living on Skyloft with a few other people who he, as usual, cares about. Then, somehow the "evil" from below some how finds Skyloft and kills/kidnaps/attacks the people there.

Link then feels inclined to go down and defeat the evil that had attacked them. Before that, however, he goes to get the sacred sword of his people to aid him in his quest. After that, he jumps off Skyloft into the world below.

Ehh.. I hope this isn't the case, only because I'd like to see the story catalyst be something other than Link chasing after a loved one and encountering a greater peril, like WW and TP. It's just that it's been done, and there are other routes that can be taken in order to start out Link's adventures.

An idea off the top of my head:

Maybe, (considering the idea that the Skyward Sword resides in Skyloft in some special place like a temple or something) the residents of Skyloft or keepers of the blade notices that the spirit of the Skyward Sword, Adelle, or whatever her name is, starts acting strangely. (kind of like how Link was drawn to the Spirit Springs in TP by the sounds of their 'lamentation') The sword entity will voice that she senses a great evil in the world below and that it's up to one of the sky-dwellers to eradicate it. Not sure how this would tie into Link being the only one able to wield the sword, perhaps he is the only one able to pull the sword from the pedestal, maybe the spirit describes or names him, something like that...

Petman1325

Poe Catcher
I could use my Disney memories to perhaps come up with another theory. Perhaps Link has always thought of visiting the world before, similar to the Hunchback of Notre Dame, minus the Catholic Church, Notre Dame, Paris, hunchbacks, etc. Perhaps nobody wants to go down there because of all of the evil going down in the world below, and Link decides to get curious. So, Link could perhaps slip around everyone and go down to Hyrule.

Being a Zelda game, I doubt Link would trip. The only Link that seems to have done something close to that is the Hero of Winds, and it was more of being blasted by an awakening statue across the Great Sea to be slammed into the Tower of the Gods. Parachute pants would be an interesting joke, but a bit to childish for Zelda. Having the evils of Hyrule kidnap the people of Skyloft sounds a lot like Twilight Princess, in which the Twilight Beasts would sneak into the world of light and kidnap the children of Ordon Village.

I think Link goes and does something for someone, and runs into a mysterious sword and the sword tells link there is a land below the clouds and Link is like, WHAAAAA?!?!?! NO WAY!!!! And he quickly jumps off and the Swords like WAAAAAIT! And jumps in after him and turns into a dragon and saves him and calls him stupid and he says. SORRY.... curiousity took hold of me!

Nah...

Hylian Pants

Nintendo Wench
I could use my Disney memories to perhaps come up with another theory. Perhaps Link has always thought of visiting the world before, similar to the Hunchback of Notre Dame, minus the Catholic Church, Notre Dame, Paris, hunchbacks, etc. Perhaps nobody wants to go down there because of all of the evil going down in the world below, and Link decides to get curious. So, Link could perhaps slip around everyone and go down to Hyrule.

It's funny you mention the idea of a curious Link, Petman. I was going to post another idea of mine including the same personality trait... The only reason I didn't post it before was because I remembered that the interview mentioned an "incident" that would incline Link to travel to Hyrule. So while pure curiosity would be a cool catalyst, there will probably be some sort of epic event, instead methinks...

Anyways, I might as well post it now

Link looks to be around 16 in this game, I'd say, and I think it would be really cool if they gave him one or two friends or maybe just 1 male friend his age this time around. (The one female best friend who can easily be misconstrued as a love interest thing is kind of old) Either way, the game could start out with Link n' pals "talking" about what they think lies beyond Skyloft. (I can't imagine that leaving and returning to Skyloft would be a normal thing for the residents, so I'm assuming that cliffs like the one we see Link diving off of is probably an area that most sky dwellers wouldn't go near...) Anyway, playing off that idea, Link could demonstrate some curiosity, bravery and even some mischievousness by peering over the edge of the cliff to the expanse of clouds below. As for an incident, maybe, as he's looking, some of the evil creatures that have invaded Hyrule, a dragon or something, flies up through the clouds, knocking Link back. It screeches, breaths some fire, then goes back below. They freak out, inform the other Skyloft residents of what they saw and that somehow leads Link on an adventure :P

I think there was an interview that mentioned Link being an ordinary boy in his community. It would only be fitting if they gave him a normal amount of friends who aren't little kids and an adolescent sense of curiosity and wanderlust.

Anemos

Master of Chaos

Being a Zelda game, I doubt Link would trip. The only Link that seems to have done something close to that is the Hero of Winds, and it was more of being blasted by an awakening statue across the Great Sea to be slammed into the Tower of the Gods.
Parachute pants would be an interesting joke, but a bit to childish for Zelda. Having the evils of Hyrule kidnap the people of Skyloft sounds a lot like Twilight Princess, in which the Twilight Beasts would sneak into the world of light and kidnap the children of Ordon Village.

Just so you know, given the information we already have, your idea about "always wanting to go to the world below" can't work. It has already been mentioned that Link had thought nothing was abnormal about living in the clouds, and didn't know about the world below until the "incident".

As for the Hero of the Winds and his mishap with the statues, you are also forgetting Tetra's..."accuracy" in the beginning of the game when Link enters the Forsaken Fortress.

I think the evil that rules the land below starts spreading to Skyloft, and Link must go down and stop it. In this respect, it would be similar to Twilight Princess (Twilight spreading towards Link's home), but I would like to see something fresh rather than his friands loved ones getting kidnapped again. That is getting to be somewhat stale.

I agree with Link-182. Also, when was the last time link got a nice hot mealwith a cold glass of water followed by a comfy bead? (He had a bead in MC last, and his last meal was in TWW.) (I do not count the stew from TP a meal.) And he has not had water since OoT. So sad.... Plus, he must be lonly. His only freind is Navi, which is a great freind but that was only for the hero of time.

perhaps Adelle tells the keepers of the skyward sword that a hero must be found, but does not say why. all young men are allowed to come before the sword and see if they are chosen by it (excalibur style) Link is chosen and Adelle tells him that he must descend to a land below and save it from evil. then he does so

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom