• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Smash Bros My issue with Lucina and Chrom

Threads relating to the Super Smash Bros series.
As characters individually Lucina and Chrom are fine. But within an already established Smash Bros there’s an issue I want to bring up.

In Melee Falco and Roy were the original echo characters. Done very well as both played vastly differently from their main character.

Now both Marth and Roy have echoes.
Chrom is an echo of Roy who is an echo of Marth. That’s an echo of an echo.
I know officially Roy is not an echo but functionally he is.

This means we have 4 different characters all based around the same move set.
Marth, Roy, Lucina, Chrom.
I do think that’s way too many with the same base move set.

Ike as flawed as he is is at least a totally different move set. So that’s great.

You could argue, but Wolf and yes you would be correct. However Wolf was not created as a blatant echo of an echo like Lucina and Chrom. Wolf functionally is an echo but still he plays very different. This is an echo character done well.

The other issue is Fire Emblem has that whole holy trinity of sword/axe/spear thing going. Did I get that right?
How come there is no spear or axe using Fire Emblem characters in Smash Bros? Also what about more magic user characters from Fire Emblem in Smash Bros?

So all we have is 4x the same base mode set plus Ike, Corrin and Robin. That’s 4/7 with the same base move set.

What do you think about this?

The sheer amount of FE characters is more a problem with Ultimate rather than them all having swords and their move sets all being similar.

If Ultimate hadn't been Ultimate I'm pretty sure there would have been cuts to the FE roster and I doubt we'd have gotten Chrom at all.

FE as far as Smash is concerned is the one that feels like an advertisement more than any other character from other IPs, Sakurai didn't even want to include Corrin but Fates was the new hotness.

Let's just hope we dont get another FE character in the DLC to advertise Three Houses.

I actually like that Chrom takes cues from Roy and Ike rather than being another Marth 2.0. Roy's side B always felt the most satisfying to me, so I'm glad that was carried over. But Chrom is balanced by having the awfulness of Ike's up B. I think he's unique enough to stand out as his own addition, and he deserves a spot on the roster. Fire Emblem Awakening did save the Fire Emblem franchise after all.

NintendoCN

Team Captain
Uh, Chrom's move set is actually more of a combination of all the FE characters, save Robin, he is similar in what he can do, but he has Ike's up special, (It acts the same). But we have too many FE characters, giving him an entirely different move set would be a bit too ambitious. Now if it were Ephraim from SS, THAT would be awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom