• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Game Thread My Hero Academia Mafia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well Axle, you said it yourself that you were good at Mafia, I have to hand it to you that you are quite skilled at misleading the masses.

Libk

Spaceballs: The Mafia Player
That wasn't my point. My point was by going by a claim AT ALL, you are already knowingly acting without complete knowledge. Even if the claim is correct you do not know all the other roles in the game and can't know the full context of the role interactions.

I'm pretty sure every moment if this game us acting without complete knowledge. Even scum doesn't have complete knowledge of the setup. It wasn't the act of going after the claim. Even if we couldn't claim at all we're constantly without complete knowledge. The exception to this would be if the game was open set up.

I understand not liking claims, and I understand sometimes people rely too much on claims, but I don't think this was the case this game. I even actively questioned the claim. However, I can't quite say I know how the game would go if claims weren't allowed. Unfortunately games that aren't "Everyone is Vanilla" lead to claims of some sort. Thats how information is given. Even if it's just the cop saying "I KNOW X is mafia" a d they aren't outright claiming.

I'm pretty sure every moment if this game us acting without complete knowledge. Even scum doesn't have complete knowledge of the setup. It wasn't the act of going after the claim. Even if we couldn't claim at all we're constantly without complete knowledge. The exception to this would be if the game was open set up.

I understand not liking claims, and I understand sometimes people rely too much on claims, but I don't think this was the case this game. I even actively questioned the claim. However, I can't quite say I know how the game would go if claims weren't allowed. Unfortunately games that aren't "Everyone is Vanilla" lead to claims of some sort. Thats how information is given. Even if it's just the cop saying "I KNOW X is mafia" a d they aren't outright claiming.
I'm fully aware, but it's generally a given that the Mafia actually have more information than the town since several of the roles in the game are confirmed to them and they usually know who their allies are. The game is absolutely about playing based on a lack of information, but really that's exactly the point: If you at any point assume you do actually know anything for certain, you've already made a mistake in playing the game. The only players who know anything for certain are Mafia, Masons, and Cops or similar investigative roles, and even then they only know so much.

As I have said, claims are usually underpowered or overpowered depending on setup; in games with hidden setups and lots of roles, or games where Mafia are provided with fakeclaims (or really just games without flavor at all), claims are close to worthless in a lot of cases.

I would actually say in this game that claiming was overpowered (or at least close to it), is the thing; claims pretty much screwed us out of safety by process of elimination. It's just that the role interactions got weird enough that you guys misinterpreted the claims. The town in general relied a bit too much on the idea that you they knew what the role's significance was and how it would interact with other roles. So clearly, even in a game where claims are very powerful, their use is still sketchy.

Let me ask you this: Had I implied I was Mt. Lady, and described a hobo power of getting written scenes implying things about the night events, and provided them to you guys, would you have believed it?

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Let me ask you this: Had I implied I was Mt. Lady, and described a hobo power of getting written scenes implying things about the night events, and provided them to you guys, would you have believed it?
Honestly, since I roleblocked you and tje nightkill still occured, yes, I would have believed it today. Unless you slipped up and said you got info last night.

Libk

I actually probably wouldn't have, as I wouldn't see Mt. Lady making an appearance in this game, knowing the flavor. Nor would that have made sense to me for any of the characters I can think of in the show. Flavor reasons, no I wouldn't have. Which would have made things a little more interesting

I actually probably wouldn't have, as I wouldn't see Mt. Lady making an appearance in this game, knowing the flavor. Nor would that have made sense to me for any of the characters I can think of in the show. Flavor reasons, no I wouldn't have. Which would have made things a little more interesting
Even though she's poor and so large she could see over buildings to see what's going on? =P Hmm perhaps it would have been a misplay on my part.

Not denying that claims can provide useful information btw. I said I ignored them entirely in the past -- which is true -- but that was perhaps a mistake on my part. Certainly believing certain claims this game helped me win as Mafia. But from my perspective there was clear over-reliance on claims this game... in particular because of the assumption (and it's only ever an assumption) that you are interpreting them (and the way their role works) correctly. It lead directly to at least two major misplays in lynching Stormageddon (who I wouldn't have suspected even if I was town), and exonerating me.

You guys didn't originally suspect All Might or Bok because of claims. You suspected them because of their behavior. It's the same with me. Just something to think about.

Libk

I actually considered Krow might be scum too, thinking he might have possibly gotten like, a Night 0 ability to steal some powers but that was until I read Pendio's account of why he was a VT

The Krow-Pendio thing is one of those rare cases of a rock-solid claim. Even then it's more the circumstances than anything that confirms it rather than the claim alone though. The claim made Pendio trust him, but the reality is we all would have some reason to be wary if not for Pendio getting confirmed as Town.

Even then though there are ways that it could have proven to be wrong. Especially if the Mafia were provided the Vanilla Townie flavor text which IMO they probably should have this game. That very nearly killed us if he had played around it wrong. All Might and Bok probably picked up on the danger themselves but I warned everyone at that time just the same. xP I didn't know if it was true, or a trap meant by perhaps two Masons to trick the Mafia into fakeclaiming into a trap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom