• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild My guide to beating Lynel (minor spoilers)

I never use stasis on lynels. I block them because these guys aren't that hard to block. And after a while you just know what they're doing next.
I agree. With some practice, perfect blocking them most of the time is not too hard. You can see what move is coming next, they have different set ups for each move and you can plan accordingly.

Unfortunately, killing Lynels has become boring for me, unless I make it intentionally hard by not using really powerful weapons, stasis or bow shots to the face. My inventory is fully maxed out, and I'm carrying around 5 savage Lynel clubs (all gold, with damage from 78 up to 108), 5 savage Lynel swords (with damage from 58 up to 99), and then a lot of royal broadswords and royal claymores. The amount of damage I can do very easily if I want to is ridiculous. If you are simply farming them, here's what I do, and it works so well that you usually can beat them before they ever even make a single attack move against you...

1. approach either gliding in or running straight at them
2. if gliding in, when close enough, just start pelting him in the face with whatever arrows you want. The slow-mo allows you to get at least 4 shots in, if not 5 or 6. If running in, just have your bow ready to go as soon as he rears back and growels to do his huge fire-blast move. As soon as he rears back, shoot him in the face with an arrow to stun him.
3. now that he's stunned, run up and attack from the front left or right with a single blow or maybe two. You should now see the MOUNT signal, so mount him.
4. at this point, take out your most powerful weapon and whack him 5 times
5. right after the 5th hit, he'll buck you off, but when he does, draw your bow again and shoot him in the back of the head. This will do major damage, but won't stun him again.
6. Start running at him again as soon as you can, and then stasis him when you're really close.
7. As soon as you can, pull out a two-handed weapon and start spin-attacking him. By this time, Urbosa's fury should be ready, but keep spinning until you realize he's about to either try to run off or attack.
8. At the point he's about to get away from your spin attack, use Urbosa's fury on him. This - by now - is very likely to finish him off. If not, you can still run up to him again while he's being electrocuted and start spin-attacking him again. That WILL finish him off.

If you do not have Urbosa's fury ... or if it's run out and recharging at that time ... just let him run off after the spin attack, and when he comes back at you, either dodge or block the attack and then stasis him again. Go attack, which wills stun him, and mount him. Again, use your most powerful weapon while mounted, get bucked off, and keep repeating the cycle until he's dead.

Lynels - unlike Bokoblins, Moblins or Lizalfos - are all about timing, and patterns. As soon as you are familiar enough with how they operate, they are simple to beat. The fact that you're one-on-one with them means you have nothing else to worry about, which in and of itself makes the task a lot easier. I guess that's the trade-off though for them having so much HP ... they are predictable, and it's more about you making a mistake, not them over-powering you or catching you off guard.

on a final note ... to me, the hardest block to make is with the club. But, again, it's timing, and not THAT hard to get used to.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
couple things about using bows...

I've actually found it more difficult to get stuns using 3x bows than 1x bows. It seems like one of the shots is hitting him first off-target, giving him brief immunity to stuns from any on-target shot. Or maybe I'm just not aiming well enough. I haven't tried with 3x all that much.

It is possible to stun him from the back of his head. Maybe not while he's recovering from bucking you off though, I'll have to try that. It's a more difficult shot than the front because you don't have the visual cue of his face, and maybe the area is smaller.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
couple things about using bows...

I've actually found it more difficult to get stuns using 3x bows than 1x bows. It seems like one of the shots is hitting him first off-target, giving him brief immunity to stuns from any on-target shot. Or maybe I'm just not aiming well enough. I haven't tried with 3x all that much.

It is possible to stun him from the back of his head. Maybe not while he's recovering from bucking you off though, I'll have to try that. It's a more difficult shot than the front because you don't have the visual cue of his face, and maybe the area is smaller.

Just a few notes, Yea 3x bows are harder to get a shot in because of the arrow spread if one hits them they have a bit of a recovery period which is suckish.

You can't stun him from behind after bucking you off, i've done this numerous times and he just shakes it off immediately. Though granted if you have a five shot and aim at the base of the neck you get a crap ton of damage thrown onto the lynel.

I must be lucky ... I may miss the first stun shot with a 3 or 5 shot bow ... but that's rare ... and overall, I find it very easy to stun any Lynel with any bow.

Perhaps I just get closer than you guys. I'm usually close enough that bomb arrows will probably hurt me because I'm within the blast range.

It really is funny how close Lynels will let you get to them without doing anything. And when they do get ready to do something, there's a large amount of time for their "wind-up" prior to making some sort of offensive move towards you. You really should be taking advantage of that time. That's when you can either stasis or stun them, and go to town inflicting hella-damage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom