• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild My guide to beating Lynel (minor spoilers)

Yes I know some of you might say this is easy. You might have mastered this but some might want some advice on this. So I will share how I beat Lynel. I did a lot of practice to get a good way down pat.

What Are Lynel?

Lynel.jpg

I have only seen 3 types. There might be others.
Red hair ones (as in the picture with spears).
Red hair ones with a metal club.
White hair ones with a metal club.

The three listed here are mostly the same with the one difference being the white hair one does a lot more damage and takes a lot longer to kill.

Why kill Lynel?

Sone of their loot is needed to upgrade your clothing pieces and the metal clubs / tripe shot bows are very good weapons. The spear is not that flash but in a pinch it's better than nothing. The White Hair'd one's metal club is very good and high damage.

Also the Lynel are quite hard to beat till you know what you are doing. A good challenge in the game.

What gear / loot do you need to beat a Lynel?

For clothing, the Barbarian set is perfect because of the extra damage. I could not use it vs the White Hair Lynel because I was fighting it in the cold mountains. But any place you don't need cold or hot weather gear, then use the Barbarian set. Why that set? Because you're not getting hit (and winning the fight) You might survive a hit from the Lynel spear but without lots of hearts the metal clubs will one shot you dead. That's ok. With a little skill you can do this. Practice really does make perfect.

My point here is you are practicing till you can beat the Lynel without gettlnig hit by it's weapon. Just save before you fight the Lynel so you can repeat the fight over and over till you win.

For weapons, you want the strongest melee weapon you can find. 40+ damage is ok. 50+ damage is ideal. I used a 50 weapon and it worked out fine. For the bow any triple shot bow will do. Damage on it doesn't matter. You can get away with a single shot bow if you are good. A triple shot just makes it slightly easier.

How we Kill Leynel

Perfect block one of his attacks to stun Lynel.
While stunned shoot Lynel in the face with an arrow to knowck hin down.
While knocked down run to his rear end and mount him and spam attack to damage him.
When you are bucked off, repeaat the first 3 steps over and over till you win.

Most of thew damage comes while Link has mounted Lynel with a few arrow shots to the face being the rest of the damage. Not a singe standard weapon swing.

For this fight practice makes perfect. You will have to keep at it till you workout the timing to perfect block every attack you can perfect block..

Lynel's moveset, how to deal with every move and other details

The first point of note is your shield and weapon will not degrade in this fight. Since you are not directly attacking and not using any flurry attacks, you are not using your weapon directly. Also perfect shield blocks don't degrade your shield.

For most of this fight you want your shield out. Not your weapon out. With your shield out and locked on to an enemy, press A to do a shield bash. This shield block when used just before an enemy attacks you, stuns the enemy. This is called a perfect shield block. The shrine near Kakariko village explains this as part of a tutorial.

Rule 2. Stay locked on to Lynel till you perfect block an attack. Then use the gyro in the controller to arrow his face. Then mount and attack. Then lock on Lynel again and back off somewhat. You want some distance between you and Lynel but not too much.

Now for Lynel's moveset.
With practice you will get to know which move is coming a few seconds before it hits you so you know what to do.

Pinpoint accurate elemental arrow - Do not fight this. It is suicide. This means you need to close the gap between you and Lynel so it enters the melee set of attacks.

Leap into the air and slam into the ground with a little AOE - Spear Lynel seem to do this the most. You can shoot Lynel in the face after the attack but it's just too tricky to pull off. My advice is to back off diagonally so the attack AOE does not get you. Stay locked on though.

Side smash - Lynel will ron at you and use a side on forehand smash to Link. You want to perfect block this. It's tough. My best way of doing this is to stay straight on Lynel and perfect block it at the right moment. Takes practice. This perfect block does not stun Lynel for long. Experts can race in a face arrow shot while stunned but if you can't then back off while still locked on ASAP after the perfect block

Overhead Smash with AoE - Spear Lynel do not do this. Just before you get smashed, perfect block the attack. Then shoot it in the face with an arrow. This attack can't be reliably perfect dodged for flurry attacks. Many times you perfect dodge but then the AOE still kills you. This is why we don't use flurry attacks vs Lynel. This can and should be perfect blocked.

Charge - Lynel will charge you face first to bowl you over. Don't attempt to shoot Lynel in the face during the charge. I guess that is possible but much too hard. Just perfect block the charge just before it hits you.

Whirlwind - This never happens with the spear Lynel. This usually happens when you don't move away enough from Lynel after being bucked off or perfect blocking without shooting the face. If you try to keep enough distance but nut too much because of the lethal arrow accuracy Lynal has, you should never bothered by this attack. I don't bother shooting face after this attack is over, not enough time to do so.

Fireballs - Lynel shoots 3 fireballs. One after the other. For this attach drop the lock you have on Lynel and just sprint around him to avoid the fireballs. A few stamina upgrades makes this easier but you can do it without any.

Scribear

Your Best Friend (rupee free)
Nice essay once again! Good job. Just to help out (very little) here is the following info:

Lynel - 2000 HP
Blue-Maned Lynel - 3000 HP
White-Maned Lynel - 4000 HP
Silver Lynel - 6000 HP

I am shockingly bad at perfect dodges and blocks, so I always resort to spamming bomb arrows and using Urbosa's fury...

True, but chances are if the person isn't great at fighting them, those are the Lynels they'll be fighting until they get more familiar with their movesets.
That is quite true. The other one I fought was not harder just took londer to beat so more perfect blocks (or however you beat them) required to win.

I'm at the point where all Lynels are silver or white maned- just pelt the to high hell with bomb arrows with multi shot bows :P

Libk

Spaceballs: The Mafia Player
I've only beaten 2 lynels myself. 1 was using Urbosa's fury and arrows, plus a 60 damage weapon.

The other I shot with an ancient arrow because I was going for a men ok ry and didn't want to bother fighting it. XD. No drops when you do that.

I've found that if you use the Lynel mask (from Kilton), you can get close and get a few extra hits, although the stronger Lynels do realise you're an imposter very quickly.

Yes I know some of you might say this is easy. You might have mastered this but some might want some advice on this. So I will share how I beat Lynel. I did a lot of practice to get a good way down pat.

What Are Lynel?

Lynel.jpg

I have only seen 3 types. There might be others.
Red hair ones (as in the picture with spears).
Red hair ones with a metal club.
White hair ones with a metal club.

The three listed here are mostly the same with the one difference being the white hair one does a lot more damage and takes a lot longer to kill.

Why kill Lynel?

Sone of their loot is needed to upgrade your clothing pieces and the metal clubs / tripe shot bows are very good weapons. The spear is not that flash but in a pinch it's better than nothing. The White Hair'd one's metal club is very good and high damage.

Also the Lynel are quite hard to beat till you know what you are doing. A good challenge in the game.

What gear / loot do you need to beat a Lynel?

For clothing, the Barbarian set is perfect because of the extra damage. I could not use it vs the White Hair Lynel because I was fighting it in the cold mountains. But any place you don't need cold or hot weather gear, then use the Barbarian set. Why that set? Because you're not getting hit (and winning the fight) You might survive a hit from the Lynel spear but without lots of hearts the metal clubs will one shot you dead. That's ok. With a little skill you can do this. Practice really does make perfect.

My point here is you are practicing till you can beat the Lynel without gettlnig hit by it's weapon. Just save before you fight the Lynel so you can repeat the fight over and over till you win.

For weapons, you want the strongest melee weapon you can find. 40+ damage is ok. 50+ damage is ideal. I used a 50 weapon and it worked out fine. For the bow any triple shot bow will do. Damage on it doesn't matter. You can get away with a single shot bow if you are good. A triple shot just makes it slightly easier.

How we Kill Leynel

Perfect block one of his attacks to stun Lynel.
While stunned shoot Lynel in the face with an arrow to knowck hin down.
While knocked down run to his rear end and mount him and spam attack to damage him.
When you are bucked off, repeaat the first 3 steps over and over till you win.

Most of thew damage comes while Link has mounted Lynel with a few arrow shots to the face being the rest of the damage. Not a singe standard weapon swing.

For this fight practice makes perfect. You will have to keep at it till you workout the timing to perfect block every attack you can perfect block..

Lynel's moveset, how to deal with every move and other details

The first point of note is your shield and weapon will not degrade in this fight. Since you are not directly attacking and not using any flurry attacks, you are not using your weapon directly. Also perfect shield blocks don't degrade your shield.

For most of this fight you want your shield out. Not your weapon out. With your shield out and locked on to an enemy, press A to do a shield bash. This shield block when used just before an enemy attacks you, stuns the enemy. This is called a perfect shield block. The shrine near Kakariko village explains this as part of a tutorial.

Rule 2. Stay locked on to Lynel till you perfect block an attack. Then use the gyro in the controller to arrow his face. Then mount and attack. Then lock on Lynel again and back off somewhat. You want some distance between you and Lynel but not too much.

Now for Lynel's moveset.
With practice you will get to know which move is coming a few seconds before it hits you so you know what to do.

Pinpoint accurate elemental arrow - Do not fight this. It is suicide. This means you need to close the gap between you and Lynel so it enters the melee set of attacks.

Leap into the air and slam into the ground with a little AOE - Spear Lynel seem to do this the most. You can shoot Lynel in the face after the attack but it's just too tricky to pull off. My advice is to back off diagonally so the attack AOE does not get you. Stay locked on though.

Side smash - Lynel will ron at you and use a side on forehand smash to Link. You want to perfect block this. It's tough. My best way of doing this is to stay straight on Lynel and perfect block it at the right moment. Takes practice. This perfect block does not stun Lynel for long. Experts can race in a face arrow shot while stunned but if you can't then back off while still locked on ASAP after the perfect block

Overhead Smash with AoE - Spear Lynel do not do this. Just before you get smashed, perfect block the attack. Then shoot it in the face with an arrow. This attack can't be reliably perfect dodged for flurry attacks. Many times you perfect dodge but then the AOE still kills you. This is why we don't use flurry attacks vs Lynel. This can and should be perfect blocked.

Charge - Lynel will charge you face first to bowl you over. Don't attempt to shoot Lynel in the face during the charge. I guess that is possible but much too hard. Just perfect block the charge just before it hits you.

Whirlwind - This never happens with the spear Lynel. This usually happens when you don't move away enough from Lynel after being bucked off or perfect blocking without shooting the face. If you try to keep enough distance but nut too much because of the lethal arrow accuracy Lynal has, you should never bothered by this attack. I don't bother shooting face after this attack is over, not enough time to do so.

Fireballs - Lynel shoots 3 fireballs. One after the other. For this attach drop the lock you have on Lynel and just sprint around him to avoid the fireballs. A few stamina upgrades makes this easier but you can do it without any.
Use stasis on him

At the point now where I can kill the bastards without taking any damage. Still fail to high heaven at perfect guarding/dodging, but my aim with arrows is on point, so can almost always make them kneel during one of their attacks. Only the occasional blade-wielding one is a struggle, as some of them ONLY do the huge jump attack thing on repeat, and that's just a case of hoping you can get out of the splash zone in time!

I've found that if you use the Lynel mask (from Kilton), you can get close and get a few extra hits, although the stronger Lynels do realise you're an imposter very quickly.
I wonder if being on a horse or carrying Lynel weapons/shields makes it harder for them to recognize you for what you are...

@the8thark :)

This isn't a monster appreciation post so
No one cares about posting on topic in these forums anymore. So go right ahead. Everyone is cool with it.

That's actually quite cool. Kiting them such a long distance. I've gotten that to work also. Not huge distances, but to get them out in the open, away from anything that gets in the rode of me killing them. Awesome explanation and the video is just as cool as well. Colour me impressed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom