• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Art My Extremely Mediocre "art" Thread

Vanitas Remnant

You've done it, Ventus.
Iowa, or Hell. They're both the same thing.
Okay, so I REALLLY didn't wanna make one of these because I'm extremely sensitive and don't take criticism well, but it's time for me to be a man!

... I'm scared ._. (no but seriously how am I supposed to show the world my passion if I can't take criticism?)

Single pics

1048895_orig.jpg

5604783_orig.jpg

6496523_orig.jpg

Proportions on that are HORRENDOUS. I'll fix it eventually.

7206911_orig.jpg

Ugh. I severely messed up Tails.

1914888_orig.jpg

I haven't inked or colored this one yet. It's sorta just a rough for now.

3016719_orig.jpg

I'm almost, ALMOST thinking this one MIGHT be possibly sorta well drawn. I haven't really colored before, though.

GMod singles

(note: all of these were done with a mousepad)
3004007_orig.jpg

3004007_orig.jpg

3004007_orig.jpg

7724913_orig.jpg

6234119_orig.jpg

(You can determine what happened there, I don't really know)

6234119_orig.jpg

I've also got two stories, but since it'd take foreverrrrrr to post them here, I'll just link you to the site where they are.

Vanitas tries to get a date

(art is much worse than usual since I had a deadline of a week to get it done. I'll redo all the proportions another time)

GMod Scavenger Hunt (WIP)

That's all. In case anyone's wondering, I've been doodling since I was a kid, but I haven't actually started drawing since February of this year. I've never taken lessons either (hence why they're so crappy).

pkfroce

Skelepuns
A lot better than anything I can draw. They look good to me! Seriously, if I made an art thread... *shudders* I don't want to talk about it... o.o

I am really envious of your ability to have such clean lineart. Like, those solid contour lines are to die for! Though I can see a little shaking from it, so be sure that your hand is comfortable so that you don't hurt yourself, okay? I'm a little shaky at times as well, which is why I normally try to take advantage of the natural curve of hand-motion.

And, the Garry's Mod ones... <3 --Is that a sandwich on Ganondorf's head? <3 <3

I look forward to seeing more from you, and don't forget about Bowser on a trampoline when you have the time~~ =D

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
You said:
... I'm scared ._. (no but seriously how am I supposed to show the world my passion if I can't take criticism?)
It's tough to take any kind of criticism, but sometimes you just have to accept it, no matter the difficulty. Just know that you can take criticisms to help improve your artwork, or even assist in building on your art style. Constructive criticism is the kind you'll want to listen to the most, so always pay attention. There's no need to be scared, we're just here to help -- that's all.

Let me just get this out of the way: your artwork is wonderful. You're a pretty good artist, there's no doubt about; however, with every artist there comes improvements. Some improvements can be made now, but others come at a later time. For right now, I'd work on building your style into something you're comfortable with. Then, once you have a style that suits you most, take a step back and look at what you have. Anatomy and proportions are an artists worst nightmare (trust me, it takes a while to get a solid grasp of it). I'd recommend (when you're ready of course) using guidelines. You don't necessarily have to use them, but they're beyond useful.

For now, just keep drawing the way you do. And when you're ready, request critics from some of us. There are lots of talented artists on this site, and I'm sure they'd love to help out and equally talented artist such as yourself!

I actually like it! You're being a bit hard on yourself, imo, which is something all artists do. Myself included. Your shading is wonderful, might I say.

I agree wholeheartedly with what Atticus said. The hardest part is finding a style--it took years for me to settle on mine, when drawing almost nonstop, and even now it undergoes changes all teh time, but I have a consistent base. That's the most crucial aspect, despite its difficult. You just keep experimenting! Using guidelines is the single best thing you can do to even proportions, or so I've found, but it's definitely a choice. And, as she said, there are plenty of artists here who would be willing to offer critiques and guidance, myself among them.

Also, some artists are stronger on different aspects. For example, I'm good with full-body, but if I try to do anything too big, it starts looking wonky and flat, and I'm not too good with backgrounds yet. If you can find your strength and focus on t until you get good, THEN start challenging yourself, that's always helpful. But you've really cleared the single most difficult step--starting the art thread at all.

If I may add one more thing, you did a far better kiss than anything I've ever been able to pull off.

And, like Mandy said, your curves... they're so perfect, and smooth, and not rough at all, I'm envious >>

Vanitas Remnant

You've done it, Ventus.
I am really envious of your ability to have such clean lineart. Like, those solid contour lines are to die for! Though I can see a little shaking from it, so be sure that your hand is comfortable so that you don't hurt yourself, okay? I'm a little shaky at times as well, which is why I normally try to take advantage of the natural curve of hand-motion.

And, the Garry's Mod ones... <3 --Is that a sandwich on Ganondorf's head? <3 <3

I look forward to seeing more from you, and don't forget about Bowser on a trampoline when you have the time~~ =D

Thanks Mandy. Yeah, I've noticed that my hand gets pretty shaky when it comes to inking. I'd be much worse if I hadn't been drawing on Miiverse so much, though. And yes, that is a sandwich. Link threw it at him. XP

It's tough to take any kind of criticism, but sometimes you just have to accept it, no matter the difficulty. Just know that you can take criticisms to help improve your artwork, or even assist in building on your art style. Constructive criticism is the kind you'll want to listen to the most, so always pay attention. There's no need to be scared, we're just here to help -- that's all.

Let me just get this out of the way: your artwork is wonderful. You're a pretty good artist, there's no doubt about; however, with every artist there comes improvements. Some improvements can be made now, but others come at a later time. For right now, I'd work on building your style into something you're comfortable with. Then, once you have a style that suits you most, take a step back and look at what you have. Anatomy and proportions are an artists worst nightmare (trust me, it takes a while to get a solid grasp of it). I'd recommend (when you're ready of course) using guidelines. You don't necessarily have to use them, but they're beyond useful.

For now, just keep drawing the way you do. And when you're ready, request critics from some of us. There are lots of talented artists on this site, and I'm sure they'd love to help out and equally talented artist such as yourself!

Thanks Atticus. Right now I'm leaning towards anime style, since it's kind of realistic but also cartoony at the same time. I have a wonderful How-to book by Mark Crilley. It does have guidelines, but unfortunately, only for certain poses. Hence why the Cave Story pic looks so wonky. Besides that, hands are definitely difficult for me to get a grasp (pun intended) on. They look fine on characters with gloves for whatever reason, but other times, they're all blegh. Anyway, thanks again.

A lot better than anything I can draw. They look good to me! Seriously, if I made an art thread... *shudders* I don't want to talk about it... o.o

You never know. I'm one of those people who refuse to admit that my art is better than anyone's. I have an extremely small ego or something, heh. Anywho, thanks.

I actually like it! You're being a bit hard on yourself, imo, which is something all artists do. Myself included. Your shading is wonderful, might I say.

I agree wholeheartedly with what Atticus said. The hardest part is finding a style--it took years for me to settle on mine, when drawing almost nonstop, and even now it undergoes changes all teh time, but I have a consistent base. That's the most crucial aspect, despite its difficult. You just keep experimenting! Using guidelines is the single best thing you can do to even proportions, or so I've found, but it's definitely a choice. And, as she said, there are plenty of artists here who would be willing to offer critiques and guidance, myself among them.

Also, some artists are stronger on different aspects. For example, I'm good with full-body, but if I try to do anything too big, it starts looking wonky and flat, and I'm not too good with backgrounds yet. If you can find your strength and focus on t until you get good, THEN start challenging yourself, that's always helpful. But you've really cleared the single most difficult step--starting the art thread at all.

If I may add one more thing, you did a far better kiss than anything I've ever been able to pull off.

And, like Mandy said, your curves... they're so perfect, and smooth, and not rough at all, I'm envious >>

Thanks Hylian. I'm better at mugshots than anything else, I think. The only thing I have trouble with are the aforementioned proportions and hands. I'm rather new to shading as well. But if I can get those mastered, I should be a better artist.

Thanks again, everyone! :D

Vanitas Remnant

You've done it, Ventus.
UPDATE! I did these two drawings on Art Academy: Sketchpad. It'll take some getting used to ._.

3224086_orig.jpg

3366254_orig.jpg

Both post apocalyptic versions of characters, from my comic on Miiverse titled NintENDo.

5154983_orig.jpg

ECH. Even after 7 hours of drawing that, I still don't think it looks that good. I'm new to coloring.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
As a senior artist (that means "old fart" to you, kid) - I have my own tip for the drawing of anime/manga/game characters or even cartoon-style characters in general. It helps to get a good grounding in actual anatomy. Draw from photographs, or from real people if they'll pose for you and get some of the basic frameworks down. Learn to view the world as a series of shapes - circles, ovals, lines... and just where things are positioned. There are many guides for this in regards to placement of facial features (eyes are one "eye" apart from one another and about midway down the face).

From what I see here, it seems like you are learning to draw manga-style from manga itself... and it is good to study for that style, but I can almost guarantee you that every anime/manga artist worth their chops took some life-drawing lessons, learned basic proportions before jumping into the cartooning style. I live with an old American-style animator and he can tell you this much, too.

Then again, feel free to ignore my advice - I mean, my style is my own... a bit of anime-influence, but grounded in a life of trying to achieve realism (and never quite making it). Thus, I wind up being best known for my stylistic paintings on bones...

I do think you have promise - I see a groundwork skill and dedication here. I am just giving some old fart tips.

Vanitas Remnant

You've done it, Ventus.
As a senior artist (that means "old fart" to you, kid) - I have my own tip for the drawing of anime/manga/game characters or even cartoon-style characters in general. It helps to get a good grounding in actual anatomy. Draw from photographs, or from real people if they'll pose for you and get some of the basic frameworks down. Learn to view the world as a series of shapes - circles, ovals, lines... and just where things are positioned. There are many guides for this in regards to placement of facial features (eyes are one "eye" apart from one another and about midway down the face).

From what I see here, it seems like you are learning to draw manga-style from manga itself... and it is good to study for that style, but I can almost guarantee you that every anime/manga artist worth their chops took some life-drawing lessons, learned basic proportions before jumping into the cartooning style. I live with an old American-style animator and he can tell you this much, too.

Then again, feel free to ignore my advice - I mean, my style is my own... a bit of anime-influence, but grounded in a life of trying to achieve realism (and never quite making it). Thus, I wind up being best known for my stylistic paintings on bones...

I do think you have promise - I see a groundwork skill and dedication here. I am just giving some old fart tips.

Thanks Shadsie. Lately I've been ignoring the guidelines in the How To book of mine, and I'm not sure why. My mom's gonna start giving me lessons once we finish the house and move, so I should improve soon. And I appreciate any tips given, whether your old or young.

Also, for whatever reason, I like giving characters big heads. If I use guidelines, the heads aren't big anymore, but I still prefer the big headedness.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
Thanks Shadsie. Lately I've been ignoring the guidelines in the How To book of mine, and I'm not sure why. My mom's gonna start giving me lessons once we finish the house and move, so I should improve soon. And I appreciate any tips given, whether your old or young.

Also, for whatever reason, I like giving characters big heads. If I use guidelines, the heads aren't big anymore, but I still prefer the big headedness.

It is a part of finding your style. You get to know some basics, and then you can squash and stretch and stylize any way you want. And you develop it with time. I've noticed that I tend to do eyes in an an anime-ish style, but not too big, and I have a thing about tear ducts (it's all my time spent doing pencil portraits from photographs in high school). I have a distinctive manner of drawing and painting wings, I think. I'm obsessed with good-looking wings and have paid attention to birds' wings and such. (Also, large characters get large wings if they are meant to fly... I just don't see how a gryphon can generate lift with small wings). Whenever I draw Hylians or any other elf-type characters, I like to make the ears long and horselike - regardless of how the canon artwork looks because I love horse-ears.

There is a fine line between learning the basics and holding onto/not-losing a desired style.

Vanitas Remnant

You've done it, Ventus.
I've got some new art now. More Art Academy stuff for you guys to laugh at! XD

1722694_orig.jpg

The glasses really threw off my grasp of his head. Now he looks like a monkey è_é

5377898_orig.jpg

I don't think this one's too bad. Again, I like making characters have big heads (and Paula and Ness have always had big heads). They're more post apocalyptic characters from a story I did on Miiverse.

7218388_orig.jpg

Just... just ignore the character and look at the first time I'd drawn fire instead! But uh, I did have a skin colored Human Bowser, but people liked the scales more, so... yeah. He copied Mario's DNA, that's all I'm saying ._.

9392828_orig.jpg

Eh. His hand's too small and the shading's off. He is mentally unstable due to side effects of being brainwashed, so he has a crazy eye. And before being brainwashed, he asked Arceus for power to defeat Bowser, so he put ALLLLL the Pokémon's spirits in Red. Meh.

2363945_orig.jpg

Eh. I guess this one's okay, but the shading sucks and his pupils are too big.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom