• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

My Experience with Sonic

i felt that it was appropriate to bring this up with Sonic Generations coming out this year and all, i want to express my experience with the series. a while back, my brother had an NES, a Super Nintendo, and a Sega Genisis, he gets married and moves out, before he moved out, he wanted me to keep the game systems he had, so he left them with me, the Sega Genisis catches my attention more than the Nintendo consoles do. because of it's design and i was for some reason interested in the "16-Bit" text that was on the front of the console. so my dad helps me hook it up, and the first game i pick to play is Sonic The Hedgehog. I put the cartrage into the system, pressed the power butten, grabbed the controller, and the first thing i'm greeted with is the big blue text as the screen yells "SEGA!" the screen changes and i see a blue spikey character waving his index finger back and forth. I press the start butten, and thus begins everything in Green Hill Zone.

Green Hill Zone to me is no doubt the greatest first level of a series i've ever played through, it's fast, not hard at all, not too easy, and does a great job at getting you ready for what's to come. i had so much fun with this level the first time but then i died inside when i got to Marbel Zone, the second level of the game. See Green Hill Zone was a fast and fun level and it felt so original, Marbel Zone was a lot slower and you had to rely on platforming more than anything, so it's like Mario only not and it braught down some of the feeling i had for the game at first but Green Hill Zone kept me excited enough to keep going, so i did, and i was rewarded with Spring Yard Zone, this level does what both Green Hill and Marbel Zone did so there were sections where i was going fast and loved it, then the sections that were incredibly slow and uninteresting. Upon beating Spring Yard Zone i was introduced to Laberynth Zone, this was definately the level i hated the most and many people who played Sonic 1 would agree, though however i like the stage cause it introduced me to the drowning theme, now i was very young at the time and so the drowning theme caught me by complete surprise the first time and it was my childhood fear as a gamer and because of it i was afraid of water levels in a video games for a while. Now after beating Laberynth Zone, the beginning of the great began with Star Light Zone.

This was it, Star Light Zone was the level thought braught the bond between me and the Sonic series, it had everyting i loved about Green Hill Zone was in this level and so much more, and to follow it had my favorite song in the game, here i'll even leave a link to the song if you never heard it before

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mqmN6mw4R8

this is without a doubt my absolute favorite viddeo game theme of all time i even find it to be more catchy than the original Mario Bros. theme, yes i did just say that. As said before, this stage braught the bond between me and the series and got me ready for the final zone, Scrap Brain Zone. This level is nothing what i expected, it pulls absoultely no punches there's bottumless pits almost everywhere you walk, there are electric fields next to checkpoints so if you die you'd have to be careful or you'll lose another life before you could say "Oh no!" and it's just chuck full of death traps, and this game is the reason why i'm wreckless in video games cause wrecklessness got me through that stage i stopped careing about taking my time and just ran. But back then even wrecklessness didn't help me cause i never done it before, and i got so many game overs in that level, and i wanted to play another level like Star Light Zon, so i didn't beat Sonic 1 that time.

A day after that i looked to see what other game i can find in my brother's stashh of cartrages and something caught my attention, Sonic & Knuckles. The cartrage was odd to me because there was actually a slot on top of it to put another cartrage onto it, and i tought maybe i had to put Sonic 1 in it, so i did. All that came up was a black screen with Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, and Eggman just posing and i started to wonder who Tails and Knuckles were causse all i played was the first game, so i looked more into the stash of games and i mannaged to find Sonic 3, so i put Sonic 3 on Sonic & Knuckles, place it in the Genisis, and again i am greeted with the big blue text and the screen yelling "SEGA!" then all of a sudden Sonic Jumps out into the center of the screen waving his index finger yet again, i press start and see that there's a file menu, as young as i was i couldn't tell what to do but i saw arrows pointing up and down, the file shows Sonic and Tails, i press down, it changes to just Sonic, i press down again, it changes to Tails, i press down once more, then Knuckles appears.

t got to me that i was suddenly seeing the characters i saw when i put Sonic 1 on Sonic & Knuckles, and so i selected Knuckles. The moment i began in Angel Issland Zone, i loved the game already, it was just like Green Hill and i welcomed that very much, after a while i switched to Sonic and suddenly the game got easier. I didn't realize it actually until i started fighting certain bosses, and there were some paths i could take as Knuckles but not as Sonic but i just moved on and along the way finding the giant rings tht sent me to special stages, i only went into them when i found themm cause i found those levels to be fun, hard at first, but fun. when i actually got all the chaos emeralds the rest of the game became easier because i now had the ability to become Super Sonic upon getting 50 rings and pressing the jump butten twice completely on accident, the moment i saw Super Sonic i questioned why Sonic changed all of a sudden but again, i moved on, and then i realized i was going faster than i normlly was and i was invincable, and this is how i beat the game i didn't know about the Super emeralds til years later, Sonic 3 & Knuckles marked the first video game i've ever beaten. and it also braught me even more in depth into the series.

I'm always going to be the same about this series, i don't care if there have been some bad games in the series like Sonic 06 or Sonic Laberynth i'm staying with the series, a lot of you here on Zelda Dungeon are diehard Zelda fans who have a strong love and bond ffor the series, that's how i am twards the Sonic series. i'm a Sonic fan and always will be.

sorry if there's a lot of errors in my typing here i corrected what i could locate, i typed this at 3 AM so yea, if there's any Sonic fans who want to share some about their experience or interest in the Sonic series as well please do tell i would love to read what you say. With all that's been said have a great day, and here's to the Blue Blur, Sonic The Hedgehog:yes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom