• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

My Bongo Bongo Theory

Hello Everyone!

After replaying OoT again for the millionth time and encountering one of my all time favourite Bosses again, Bongo Bongo of course, I've always been intrigued by the character and decided to do some research on him and see if there was a back story. I watched a handful of video theories and read up on what I could, having just played the Shadow Temple, the Well and beaten Bongo Bongo, I noticed some of the ideas people had about his back story didn't make complete sense, they missed things or misinterpreted things, even just cvercomplicating some simple aspects of the character. After playing, reading and researching I've written my own theory on his characters back story which I think addresses everything, I wanted to share to this with everyone and get opinions or expansions on these ideas in case there is anything i missed or anything that can be broadened.

Bongo Bongo Theory

He was a indeed Sheikah living in Kakariko Village whom during the Hyrulian Civil War either made the Lens of Truth and used it for evil/nefarious gains OR stole it from the Royal Family (this is unlikely though as the old man in the Village who mentions him seems to imply that him seeing the truth was a power only he possessed therefore he must have created the Lens) and was punished/tortured and later executed for his crimes by way of his hands being cut off and being decapitated. Alternatively he may have betrayed the Royal Family using the Lens of Truth to provide information to their Enemies and was punished/tortured and later executed for Treason. His home in Kakariko Village was destroyed and the Well was built as a front for a burial ground and torture chamber for Prisoners of War, The Shadow Temple simply being a graveyard/tomb for the Royal Family/Sheikah. Bongo Bongo after being executed was buried at the bottom of the Well along with the Lens of Truth to prevent anyone else using it for Evil and the Well was sealed by Water after the war ended, where he may have existed as a Poe (not unlike the Two Brothers) haunting the bottom of the well or just as a trapped spirit, even possibly within another dimension (Ganondorf has proven he has access to such dimensions with his Phantom).

Child Link later drains the Well of the Water Barrier sealing off the chamber meaning it is no longer hidden/sealed from the forces of Evil. In the future after Adult Link has destroyed Phantom Ganon, Volvagia and Morpha, Ganondorf possibly knowing of Bongo Bongo and the location of his Grave at the bottom of the Well ventured there and revived him the same way he revived Volvagia (and created other Dungeon Bosses, such as Queen Ghoma and Phantom Ganon, possibly others) transforming him into the Shadow Beast (similar to how Ganondorf becomes a beast himself) and granting him his powers. After he was revived he escaped the Well and attacked Kakariko Village and Sheik/Link, after which he went to the Shadow Temple to prevent anyone from awakening the Sage no doubt at Ganondorf’s command. The Temple is then laden with traps and devices similar to ones at the bottom of the Well as his way of manifesting the torture he suffered through for his crimes, including Guillotines and Reapers with Scythes. Also since the Temple requires Link to possess the Lens of Truth to progress through and beat the traps inside no doubt Bongo Bongo made this so as well, reflecting on the device he possibly created and his own powers as the Shadow Beast.

Now why "Bongo Bongo" and why does he play a Giant Drum in the Temple? The answer is of course simple, since many people including the Sheikah play various instruments (Shieks Harp or the Ocarinas etc) and the games themselves rely on Musical Instruments for progression and certain powers (time manipulation or changing weather etc) it makes sense that he was simply a Bongo Drum player. When he was his original self he may have played a Bongo drum and “Bongo Bongo” may actually be a nickname of sorts since it may have been a unique character trait of his. The Giant Drum he plays in the temple as he awaits his battle with Link is simply his way of again doing what he probably use to enjoy doing, playing his Bongo drum. The beat he plays as link enters his chamber is indeed similar to a death march or execution, maybe meaning to send a message to link that he is about to meet his end. Another interpretation could be that he only plays that Death March beat constantly remembering his suffering and wallowing in the shadows beneath the Temple.

On Bongo Bongo's Shadow Beast physical attributes, the way he hangs from the ceiling is similar to that of other Shadow Creatures like the Wallmasters, but also may have something to do with his history of torture (the Large Crosses with Chains surrounded by blood, where he may have been hung upside down and are found at the Bottom of the Well), in the 3DS version his body is much more detailed and looks like a sculpted human male form with protuding spinal cord and muscles, possibly referencing his form as a human and a Sheikah (being trained highly skilled body guards basically), and of course his disembodied hands which may have been buried with him in the Well or Ganondorf restored them. His large Eye was likely an attribute gifted to him by Ganondorf in lieu of his missing head as a source of power over shadows and illusions (must like the Lens he created) and also explains why this is his weak spot and is often protected by his ability to make himself invisible and cover it over as he does. Ganondorf often seems to use a singular Eye as a source of power for his creations and even for himself so it makes sense if he revived him and gave him his Shadow Beast form that the Singular eye would be included in the design.

Anyway, that's my theory! Thanks for reading!

This is a great theory. But I've always thought that his eye is actually the stump of his neck from where his head got cut off, which is why the skin surrounding it is so loose. I'd also note that bongos are more connected to Termina, rather than Hyrule, so maybe Bongo Bongo was originally Terminian?

This is a great theory. But I've always thought that his eye is actually the stump of his neck from where his head got cut off, which is why the skin surrounding it is so loose. I'd also note that bongos are more connected to Termina, rather than Hyrule, so maybe Bongo Bongo was originally Terminian?

Yes it is the stump of his neck, I thought that was clear from how he was executed. Of course during Ganondorf’s resurrection since he could not restore his head he replaced it with a large eye which also doubled as the centre of his power (as per usual with Ganondorf’s creations)

I wouldn’t say that since you use Bongos in Majora’s Mask that it means they must be related to Termina only, I’d say they are more closely related to Gorons regardless of their location. Doesn’t mean that others can’t play them either, since Bongo Bongo lived in Kakariko village and Worked for the Royal Familty (if he was indeed a Sheikah) it’s likely he may have been close to the Gorons and picked up playing the drums from them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom