• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Multiple Religion Theory

Austin

Austin
Introduction
For the longest time I've believed that Hyrule had only one religion and everyone believe in it. We all know for our culture, that this is absolutely not true! I'm not going to talk a lot about our culture, and I plan to treat Hyrule as a separate culture. Thinking after this over a while, I started to realize that Hyrule may not have one religion, and the possibility of Atheism in Hyrule.

Three Goddesses Religion
3goddesses.png

A Link to the Past - Booklet/Manual Art

This religion has been thought to be the main religion of Hyrule. We see the triforce all over Hyrule! There are very few places that this symbol isn't depicted. I'm starting to question if this is an a religion. We know that it contains stories of creation, goddesses, etc. However, there really isn't any stories of a heaven and hell. We get the golden realm where the triforce lays. Can this be viewed as a heaven? Its guarded by the Hylian royalty, and living beings can enter and leave this realm.

darkrealm.png

A Link to the Past - Dark Realm

In fact, depending on the living being who enters this realm. The realm with transform to their hearts. Good, it becomes a golden realm, and vice-versa with a dark heart. The mere fact living beings can leave and enter this realm, sort of makes it anti heaven/hell. So is there even a heaven/hell in this religion? If there isn't, then is it a religion? This idea, sort of brings up new philosophical thoughts on what is a heaven or a hell in Hyrule, but that could be a topic by itself. The main point for this thread is that this idea could easily be a template for sub religions, which may or may not have a heaven/hell.

Other Religions?
lozcross.png

A Link to the Past - Official Art

This is an interesting idea in my opinion. We aren't given any hints about another religion, and yet we are given legit evidence of other religions. There is one thing that history can teach and that is religion creates war. Almost all world wide wars had some form of religious background. From the Great Crusades to World Wars, religion gives birth to war. I'm not going to discuss this idea in our culture, because that screams strong political talk, and that is for the Mature Discussion.

A Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time, and Majora's Mask all have big hints to huge war. With huge wars, there is always religion behind it. With A Link to the Past, there was a vast war over this Golden Realm. This strongly reminds me of the Great Crusade Wars, don't you think? Which means that there are multiple religious, but they're very similar to each other. For example, Islam, Christianity, and Judaism all believe in the same god. They may have different terms, but they're similar because they believe in the same god. So its not too difficult to picture sub religions of the Three Goddess Religion.

Ocarina of Time was intriguing in the fact we are given hints to a similar war to A Link to the Past. A lot of people claim that OoT was going to be a 3D remake of ALTTP which can sort of explain the hints of war. The reason OoT is intriguing is because we are given two different races. In ALTTP, there isn't really any hard evidence of multiple races, but with OoT there is. The Gerudo and Hylians were the two races in OoT war, and we're even shown of racism in OoT. I have theories of Gerudo suppression by the Hylians, which would be a huge influence to starting up the war. As much as I would like to discuss that, it would be better off in its own topic.

ikanacastle.png

Majora's Mask - Ikana Castle

In Majora's Mask, we're given an entire empire to learn about. An empire that was defeated by war. This empire has been referenced as the Ikana Empire. There are triforces depiction in the Stone Temple and various places. This sort of tells us that Ikana may have been another sub-religion of the Three Goddess Religion. Whatever it may be, they lost the war. I'm sort of curious of who did they fought, and I've bet many theories were written about who defeated Ikana. It could have been the Hylians or Gerudos from Hyrule, or another empire that had its own religion or sub-religion.

Conclusion
If you took the time to actually read my post, you can now see why there has to be multiple religions in Hyrule. They could be simple sub-religions of the Three Goddess Religion, or an entire religion itself. I personally think the wars were all started between two sub-religions of the Three Goddess Religion because we see a lot of it in our culture. The biggest wars were between two religions which were sub-religions or religions that believed in the same god. When you have two religions that believe in the same god, and have different views, you get war.

What do you think? Do you think they could be entire different religions with similar symbols or sub-religions? There could be the possibility of them being the same religion and just a war of power hungry. I'm excited to see comments!

ChargewithSword

Zelda Dungeon's Critic
I believe that originaly there were intended to be multiple religions in the land of Hyrule until censorship caught up with Nintendo. As they made their games they found it harder to have any symbols of the outside world. There is also another theory I believe in, as Zelda began to be more developed, Miyamoto and Auonuma wanted to step away from reality as they distracted you from the gameplay of Zelda and brought ugly debates into it.
The first theory could work seeing as how in OOT, the original symbol of the Gerudos was this:

Oldmirrorshield.jpg

Crescent.jpg

However I feel the second theory is best when discussing why there are a lack of religions shown in Zelda. When you add the real world to a fantasy game you limit your audience and basically shun certain people. You just want your game to be fun so why show symbols that are related to other religions? It boggles down the experience, that's why.
--

As for other religions in the games themselves you can see that there may be indeed other known religions if you look at some of the dungeons. The Stone Tower Temple for instance (curtisie of Hylian Dan's theory) or perhaps Woodfall. I'm not sure if I saw anything else in certain games set in Hyrule but I am sure there might be one dungeon. But a lot of them are dedicated to the Goddesses.'

Edit: Ok, after a harder overview I have to half-disagree with this theory. It is directly stated in most of the games that these wars had been started out of a lust for power. However what if the Triforce was actually interpretted differently by the people of Hyrule. Some may have viewed the symbol as a creation of the Goddesses while others may have felt that it was just an object of power.

Like in our world, the people of Hyrule could've each interpreted their items of beauty differently as something meant specifically for them. Every human is different in some way or form.

Last edited:

hsb39

Why so logical?
I think that it could very well be a different approach to the same belief. In other words, many believe the story about the Godesses and all that. However the story doesn't give a simple "what to do" solution. This can be seen through the Triforce, the Dorfinator wants to use it to gain ultimate power where Link and Zelda want it to continue peace. This can explain the war, rather than a war between religions, it's a war over the same religion (this could be explained as sub religions as well, as there are significant differences), more over "what one should do" with this truth.

Austin

Austin
Pretty much what Charge said. Even if you do find some religious meaning within the subtext of the Hyrulean Wars, it's doubtful that Nintendo would make it part of the series, as people would get offended and censorship would rear its ugly head. Remember, A Link to the Past was originally going to be called Triforce of the Gods, but was changed due to the fact that it may cause religious backlash. If Nintendo believed that people would get so upset at the mere mention of the word "God", imagine how they thought people would react if full-blown religious wars were thrown into the game. As for the Gerudo/Hylian opression thing, I doubt anyone would even TOUCH the issue, considering that one race has dark skin and the other light.

Now, while none of this absolutely cancels out the possibility of such a conclusion, it casts a great amount of doubt. Also, there definitely doesn't HAVE to be multiple religions within Hyrule.

Xinnamin

Mrs. Austin
There most likely are multiple religions in Hyrule, even if they are just sub-categories of the main religion, but there's definitely proof of it. Take the Desert Colossus in OoT, known also as the Goddess of the Sand. I think it's pretty safe to say the Gerudos worship their Sand Goddess while the Hylians and other races don't. Given the large number of deities in Hyrule, such as the Great Deku Trees, Jabu-Jabu, Valoo, etc... it's certainly possible that each individual race in Hyrule has their own take on the main religion involving the Triforce and the three Golden Goddesses.

Most of the wars in the series can technically be considered religiously motivated, I think, since they involve the Triforce, which is central to the main religion. But, we must take into account the fact that the Triforce was actually a tangible source of power rather than simply an abstract ideology. Given that fact, I don't think those wars are religiously motivated in the sense that we understand it. Our historical religious wars were often about who has the "true religion" and how the other "false religions" must be destroyed so the "true religion" can spread across the land. Hyrule's wars seem to be more power/territory based, as in get the Triforce to bring tangible power to the people; Hyrule's wars seem to be mostly territorial conflicts, at least more-so than conflicts of ideology/religion.

ChargewithSword

Zelda Dungeon's Critic
There most likely are multiple religions in Hyrule, even if they are just sub-categories of the main religion, but there's definitely proof of it. Take the Desert Colossus in OoT, known also as the Goddess of the Sand. I think it's pretty safe to say the Gerudos worship their Sand Goddess while the Hylians and other races don't. Given the large number of deities in Hyrule, such as the Great Deku Trees, Jabu-Jabu, Valoo, etc... it's certainly possible that each individual race in Hyrule has their own take on the main religion involving the Triforce and the three Golden Goddesses.

Most of the wars in the series can technically be considered religiously motivated, I think, since they involve the Triforce, which is central to the main religion. But, we must take into account the fact that the Triforce was actually a tangible source of power rather than simply an abstract ideology. Given that fact, I don't think those wars are religiously motivated in the sense that we understand it. Our historical religious wars were often about who has the "true religion" and how the other "false religions" must be destroyed so the "true religion" can spread across the land. Hyrule's wars seem to be more power/territory based, as in get the Triforce to bring tangible power to the people; Hyrule's wars seem to be mostly territorial conflicts, at least more-so than conflicts of ideology/religion.

Ah yes, the Desert Goddess, she was one of those whom I was thinking of. The Gerudos never did seem like a group who worshipped the Goddesses, they seemed to view the Triforce as an object of power as well, just like the Hylians did during the war. In fact, the wars started could've been between the Gerudo's who fought for the triforce as an object of power, while the Royal Family (the most likely suspect) fought over it because they felt that the Goddesses blessed them with it.

We could also say that these sub religions could have been planned by the Goddesses so that way the people don't lose sight of them. The smaller deities are emissaries to keep law and order between the many races that inhabit Hyrule. Through them the Goddesses reign even if they are not emphasized.

Austin

Austin
I should add one more point. As many of you posted that you claim the wars were over the triforce because of its power. Which makes a lot of sense, but how come are there entire wars with armies? With the protagonist, Ganon, he pretty much goes for this power single handily. He has no competition other than Link stopping him. However, trying to get an army to cooperate when only one can really use the triforce's power, that isn't easy. It would be incredible difficult to keep everyone from killing each other because they want to keep the power to themselves.

Now, with the power of religion, keeping an entire army together is done with fair amount of ease. The triforce is a religious symbol you see all over Hyrule, so its safe to say that most of the sub-religions view the triforce as something holy and valuable. Look at Jerusalem in our world. There are many religions that believe in the same god, all fight over this city/region. The triforce and the golden/dark realm can be Hyrule's Jerusalem.

That being said, we can ignore the fact the triforce grants a wish, and the wars over it still make sense. Nations that believe in similar religions will fight over the shared symbol (aka the triforce and golden/dark realm) because they believe their sub-religion is right, and its the chosen one. Then if you add the part that the triforce grants a wish, and you just put more fuel on the fire. This gives the nations more motivation to fight the other nations. Not only are they fighting because they believe their sub-religions is right, but to help give their sub-religion/nation power.

I want to add this note. I treat Hyrule and our world different. The very most is I'll use, is examples of our world events to help understand Hylian events. With this theory, I do not say that there is believe in god, but the Three Goddesses that is what we're told. I also don't view Hyrule from a realistic view in this theory. I treat it like a fantasy world because it allows me to be more creative. I also have no problems using quotes from Miyamoto/Anouma to help support theories.

Thanks for your replies, and please continue to reply. Feel free to ask questions.

ChargewithSword

Zelda Dungeon's Critic
I should add one more point. As many of you posted that you claim the wars were over the triforce because of its power. Which makes a lot of sense, but how come are there entire wars with armies? With the protagonist, Ganon, he pretty much goes for this power single handily. He has no competition other than Link stopping him. However, trying to get an army to cooperate when only one can really use the triforce's power, that isn't easy. It would be incredible difficult to keep everyone from killing each other because they want to keep the power to themselves.

Now, with the power of religion, keeping an entire army together is done with fair amount of ease. The triforce is a religious symbol you see all over Hyrule, so its safe to say that most of the sub-religions view the triforce as something holy and valuable. Look at Jerusalem in our world. There are many religions that believe in the same god, all fight over this city/region. The triforce and the golden/dark realm can be Hyrule's Jerusalem.

That being said, we can ignore the fact the triforce grants a wish, and the wars over it still make sense. Nations that believe in similar religions will fight over the shared symbol (aka the triforce and golden/dark realm) because they believe their sub-religion is right, and its the chosen one. Then if you add the part that the triforce grants a wish, and you just put more fuel on the fire. This gives the nations more motivation to fight the other nations. Not only are they fighting because they believe their sub-religions is right, but to help give their sub-religion/nation power.

I want to add this note. I treat Hyrule and our world different. The very most is I'll use, is examples of our world events to help understand Hylian events. With this theory, I do not say that there is believe in god, but the Three Goddesses that is what we're told. I also don't view Hyrule from a realistic view in this theory. I treat it like a fantasy world because it allows me to be more creative. I also have no problems using quotes from Miyamoto/Anouma to help support theories.

Thanks for your replies, and please continue to reply. Feel free to ask questions.

You make a good point right there. However, the BS of Alttp states that Ganon was the leader of a bunch of thieves before Alttp. He lead no real army to lead. His followers most likely didn't understand the extent of the Triforce and that wasn't until it was too late that they realized it. While this was happening the people of Hyrule began to fight over the Golden Power, unaware that Ganon's evil was stretching out from the newly made Dark world.

The army he had unleashed was most likely the fools who entered the Dark World and fell under his power.
The_Imprisoning_War.jpg

They could've also viewed him as a Deity in his own right, believing that if they helped him invade Hyrule, that he would give them power. This similar situation happens in Four Swords Adventures where the Deku Scrubs, despite not being evil, decide to join Ganon's ranks, hailing him as a God and hoping that he would reward them.

Of course Ganon could also be controlling them through fear. Fear is something that could have made him seem Godly to his minions and they obeyed him out of fear.

"It isn't God who the people fear... the people's fear is God."
- Eneru of One Piece.

D

derektherock42

I think that not only does everybody believe in the same religion, the "religion" is real and the people are aware that it's real. It doesn't truly qualify as a religion if it's fact-based, not faith-based. The Royal Family is well-aware of the Triforce's existence, and we can see the Triforce's power on Link, Ganondorf, and Zelda. And there are no traces of other ideologies or people challenging the Goddesses' or the Triforce's existence.

I think Majora's Mask is set in another dimension, so it's completely removed from Hyrule, which was created by the Goddesses.

I think the causes of the wars in Zelda (at least, the causes Nintendo intended to show) were power and greed. Ganondorf was greedy and powerful, so in Ocarina of Time, he used his power to enslave everybody and take over Hyrule. I'm sure something similar was happening in the wars for the Sacred Realm.

Austin

Austin
You make a good point right there. However, the BS of Alttp states that Ganon was the leader of a bunch of thieves before Alttp. He lead no real army to lead. His followers most likely didn't understand the extent of the Triforce and that wasn't until it was too late that they realized it. While this was happening the people of Hyrule began to fight over the Golden Power, unaware that Ganon's evil was stretching out from the newly made Dark world.

The army he had unleashed was most likely the fools who entered the Dark World and fell under his power.

They could've also viewed him as a Deity in his own right, believing that if they helped him invade Hyrule, that he would give them power. This similar situation happens in Four Swords Adventures where the Deku Scrubs, despite not being evil, decide to join Ganon's ranks, hailing him as a God and hoping that he would reward them.

Of course Ganon could also be controlling them through fear. Fear is something that could have made him seem Godly to his minions and they obeyed him out of fear.

"It isn't God who the people fear... the people's fear is God."
- Eneru of One Piece.

That's an interesting idea that you brought up. The idea of Ganon either fooling his followers, dictating them, etc. Looking at TP, Ganon, would make himself seem like a false God to get people to follow him, so its no surprising if he would fool other followers. The question is, did he do it via religion, via fear/dictator, or some other method. This Mystery of how Ganon controlled his army, could be a topic by itself. However, I'm going to focus on Hyrule Army.

Minus the fact Ganon disrupts peace, Hyrule is fairly peaceful. The best secret behind keeping a nation peaceful is religion. We see churches/sanctuaries in many LoZ games. Just having a plain monarchy, you have a human king/queen. A human king/queen can easily be killed and/or betrayed. However, if you add in a god or ominous being, then betraying becomes a lot more difficult and adds a lot more fear. Without out a doubt, Hyrule has to some sort of religion to keep their nation in peace.

Lets assume ALTTP and OoT are different games, and in ALTTP Ganon had an army of greedy thieves/bandits. The war in ALTTP was a simple war over power and greed. Ganon, uses his army to take control of Hyrule to get to the triforce. In OoT, I doubt Ganon used the same means to fight Hyrule, and the possibility he used religion/nation to fight Hyrule. I'm talking about the pre-game war, the war that killed Link's parents. The biggest reason is the fact Ganon is capable of making peace with the King. If Ganon, used an army of bandits/thieves, there would be no way the king would allow peace to be made.

However, if Ganon used a nation/religion to fight this war. Then things are different because his soldiers would have been good people with families and stuff. They may be fighting for the wrong reasons, either they were tricked or got corrupted. The need/want to make peace, would be essential for both sides. The king seems like a pretty nice guy in OoT, so he probably doesn't want to kill more innocent soldiers. Ganon, is probably trying to trick the king into false peace.

Looking at the empire of Ikana, you notice the soldiers you meet using the Captain's Hat, are pretty loyal and good. This tells us that Ikana was a good empire or at least in Ikana's perspective. We can look at ALTTP and notice the war was over triforce, something powerful and something greedy people want, but what does Ikana have? I know that there are a lot of theories on that, and I shouldn't talk a lot. I'm just going to throw the idea of Ikana being in some religious base war. First reason is that their entire empire was destroyed despite not having anything valuable. If it was a simple war over something valuable, they would most likely give it up and some of them would live. Second is that you see a lot of new symbols in Ikana Valley. We still see triforce, so whatever they believe had to have the Three Goddesses in it, but the many symbols throws hints of a sub-religion.

ChargewithSword

Zelda Dungeon's Critic
Minus the fact Ganon disrupts peace, Hyrule is fairly peaceful. The best secret behind keeping a nation peaceful is religion. We see churches/sanctuaries in many LoZ games. Just having a plain monarchy, you have a human king/queen. A human king/queen can easily be killed and/or betrayed. However, if you add in a god or ominous being, then betraying becomes a lot more difficult and adds a lot more fear. Without out a doubt, Hyrule has to some sort of religion to keep their nation in peace.

That religion is obviously the one of the Goddesses. Besides, Hyrule seems to be a society that I feel actually follows the rules of balance over religion, but that is for another topic...

Lets assume ALTTP and OoT are different games, and in ALTTP Ganon had an army of greedy thieves/bandits. The war in ALTTP was a simple war over power and greed. Ganon, uses his army to take control of Hyrule to get to the triforce. In OoT, I doubt Ganon used the same means to fight Hyrule, and the possibility he used religion/nation to fight Hyrule. I'm talking about the pre-game war, the war that killed Link's parents. The biggest reason is the fact Ganon is capable of making peace with the King. If Ganon, used an army of bandits/thieves, there would be no way the king would allow peace to be made.

Well Ganon had seemingly gotten a rebellion together. He offered them a cut of the slice but only he ever benefitted. I compare Ganondorf to that of a dragon, as dragons are a tricky lot with slick words. If you use the right words for goading, then you can be as slippery as an eel.

Also, we are not sure what the war that killed Link's parents was actually about. Besides, Ganondorf could've also earned the King's trust by being on "his" side during the war while playing usurper from the side.

However, if Ganon used a nation/religion to fight this war. Then things are different because his soldiers would have been good people with families and stuff. They may be fighting for the wrong reasons, either they were tricked or got corrupted. The need/want to make peace, would be essential for both sides. The king seems like a pretty nice guy in OoT, so he probably doesn't want to kill more innocent soldiers. Ganon, is probably trying to trick the king into false peace.

Looking at the empire of Ikana, you notice the soldiers you meet using the Captain's Hat, are pretty loyal and good. This tells us that Ikana was a good empire or at least in Ikana's perspective. We can look at ALTTP and notice the war was over triforce, something powerful and something greedy people want, but what does Ikana have? I know that there are a lot of theories on that, and I shouldn't talk a lot. I'm just going to throw the idea of Ikana being in some religious base war. First reason is that their entire empire was destroyed despite not having anything valuable. If it was a simple war over something valuable, they would most likely give it up and some of them would live. Second is that you see a lot of new symbols in Ikana Valley. We still see triforce, so whatever they believe had to have the Three Goddesses in it, but the many symbols throws hints of a sub-religion.

Ikana's war was most likely fought against the Garo and then escalated into a civil war since mistrust had taken over the kingdom. Their empire was destroyed from within as the stinking lies of the Garo spread into the people's minds twisting and modling them until they could no longer trust one another.

In truth, the Garo could've been the ones fighting against Ikana out of religion. Their leader resides in the Stone Tower Temple and that place is usually guessed to have been a place for the sport of Majora and a cult following. Majora is a deity after all and one that hungers for destruction and chaos when you see what she ravages.

Sadly it wasn't until it was too late that the King realized the battles in Ikana were "petty" and despite trying to destroy the STT, he failed.

ケンジ

僕は準備完了しています!
Paranaque City, Metro Manila, Philippines
The way I see it, Hyrule has One religion, but it was split along the lines of belief and war. It's not two or five religions, but One that was just split.

The triforce itself was the mark, along with others. The Land of Hyrule worshiped and believed in the power of the triforce, so one can say that can act as a religion. Faith and trust is what makes a religion. As long as one believes in their own faith in what they see and understand, then the religion they are in will thrive and will nourish. Though they themselves end their own followers lives, by war. They made war because of the raw power of the Triforce. It can grant wishes of the bearer, so anyone worshiping it wants to be near the power or the thing they worship.

The other sub religions of the Triforce can be seen in latter years. How is this? Since the war was caused by the religions own people, the religion slowly splits. Look at ST. It's religion had the Force Gem, which is just an upside down piece of the triforce. Though it has nothing to do with it, it still shows signs of the Original religion. The one in the Stone tower temple shows it as well. The marks there was weird, like the triforce was being mocked. My theory is that they were trying to gain a better kingdom, using a sub religion of the triforce. But I can't support this, cause there are no signs on how the Ikana Kingdom came to be.

God this made me think for days.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
*Reads main topic, rolls past other replies*

Why did I not see this thread before? This is right up my alley!

I mean, seriously, I actually *recently wrote a short fanfic* dealing with issues such as these.

Goatherd - I was a little afraid to post it here, actually. It's gotten good reviews, but I feared it might be taken the wrong way. Link gets into a religious discussion with Shad and with an Original Character student of Shad's. One of the three is a rare Hyruelan atheist and is able (in this magical world) to actually back it up. I am afraid said atheist character isn't painted in the best of light, but the story isn't meant as a condmentation of atheism or atheists - it was just inspired by seeing someone in a political/news debate -- throwing out all the *really good* reasons not to believe in/value ancient texts/legends -- and saying "Ew, it was written by goatherds." It don't like classism and it made me think of Link.... so... fic. The fic is not about who is right (even Link questions himself in it), but is about classism and being quick to make assumptions about people.

I also make a breif mention of Hyruelan atheism in the first chapter of The Great Desert.

"Link didn't believe in magic. He believed in the goddesses well enough, which seemed to be an increasingly rare thing in modern times, but he did not believe in the magic that old Gwen liked to talk about."

But "The Great Desert" is set in an original Hyrule of my own creation that's gritty, dusty, and where the magic has gone largely hidden. This puts the Link of this story in the very odd position at the beginning of the tale of being a believer in the Goddesses (Farore, specifically), but an a-fairyist! (That changes when he meets Navi later on... )

I think in an original Hyrule like TGD Hyrule, or even in a Hyrule with some magic (but low magic), such as the TP setting, budding skepticism among some portion of the populace would be realistic. The Goddesses don't seem to interfere much with Hyrule directly and all of the patron deities of the races are big animals (or trees) that are capable of being overpowered and killed... As for being atheist when there's magic and fey -- if you think about it, it's just how their world works. Some folks say that nature, itself, makes manfiest the existance of God, yet skepticism is quite alive and well in our world, and it's thought that the things which cannot currently be explained will be explained someday through human knowledge. I can see magic being like that for the Hyrulean skeptic.

Now, to what else I was going to say.... the Crosses of Hyrule....

For the longest time, I've wanted to write a fanfiction about that. I've mulled it over. I'd set it somewhere spanning the ALTTP-LoZ-AoL era, because that's where we see crosses (and the lovely artwork of ALTTP Link kneeling before a Crucifix, of course). I think they appeared in the games just as a general "magic symbol" - like a good luck charm (citing the cross that helps you see ghost-baddies in AoL), and crosses were nice and simple to render with the limited pixel capablities. Even though I don't think Nintendo really thought of the scope of the religious implications of such things in their early games, a part of me wants to explain it.

My idea involves a church group getting stuck in Hyrule/Hyrule's world - probably somewhere in Calatia and creating a little enclave. They intereact with the natives and ideas are spread. There's some fighting/warring due to some members of the "new religion" seeing the Triforce religion as wicked/pagan, but then there are others that are able to easily reconcile the two ideas, mostly revolving around the idea of "God as a Trinity." And, of course, tales of the Cross and heroic sacrifice get passed around and eventually Hylian knights start using the Cross symbol on their shields and armor because they think it affords magical protection.

--- If I ever get brave or foolhardy enough to tackle such a fanfiction story, I'd really like it to be more about cultural exchange and the mingling of cultures (and, above all, a friggin' explainaition of why Link has a cross on his shield). I've been a Christian for years (varying degrees of severity), so I know the symbols and concepts, but I'm still afraid I'd degrade one or the other (Christianity or Hyrulean religion) without meaning to and/or get flamed by people from both ends if I attempted it.

---------- Post added 05-30-2010 at 09:57 PM ---------- Previous post was 05-29-2010 at 05:46 PM ----------

Great, now I'm thinking of attempting to write an article on Hylian Religion.

Even though I'm more used to "fiction style" than "essay style," should I go ahead and try?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom