• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A Link Between Worlds Multiplayer

zeldahuman

Graphic Designer
Multiplayer in Zelda 3DS, eh? It's something that I've been thinking about, and with a system like the Nintendo 3DS it would be easy to pie to incorporate some sort of online/multiplayer functionality.

But, the sad realization that comes to my mind is that, while multiplayer in a Zelda game sounds fun, I don't think Nintendo could pull it off without making it feel like a 3D Four Swords. Now, don't get me wrong, Four Swords was fun as hell, but I feel like the idea can only be used so much.

Also, I've always resented multiplayer in a game like Zelda. And why? Well, because Zelda is about the journey, and the personal experience. We all know this; Link is mute and "emotionless" because Nintendo wants us to immerse ourselves into the Zelda universe via Link - The "Link" between Game and Player. And I feel that, since this is a sequel (or prequel) to A Link to the Past, one of the greatest GAMES of all time, having multiplayer be present where it shouldn't be would be a bad move on Nintendo's part. And the reason I say it shouldn't be implemented is because, as aforementioned, Zelda games are supposed to immerse us. If there's a bunch of different colored Links runnin' around like a Cuccoo with it's head chopped off competing for Rupees, the immersion kind of deteriorates.

Main point, I'm not interested in seeing multiplayer, although I could live with it if implemented correctly. ^^

Well, if they do make multiplayer I'm sure it'll be similar to Four Swords in gameplay, as several have stated, and I'm 100% positive I will never play it. :I

RenaldoBush

Fellow Zelda Enthusiast
Personally, Four Swords was a very irritating game to me and I didn't enjoy it very much. When I played Phantom Hourglasses multiplayer though, I loved it because of its competitive game modes. So if they were to make a competitive online multiplayer mode I would enjoy it very much.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Personally, Four Swords was a very irritating game to me and I didn't enjoy it very much. When I played Phantom Hourglasses multiplayer though, I loved it because of its competitive game modes. So if they were to make a competitive online multiplayer mode I would enjoy it very much.

Competitive game modes sounds incredibly fun now that you mention it. It's an aspect that not too many action/adventure titles delve into. How would it work for a top-down game? Perhaps in the vein of the Shadow Battle mode accessible in Four Swords Adventures?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Zelda is traditionally a 1 player game, I would prefer it remain so.

Alas, as with all things, the one-player concept must be dismantled and destroyed. They killed non-linearity (although a rebirth is on the way), they killed the avatar concept of Link (menaing that he is NOW acharacter)...they killed off so many "traditions" and new fans never cared. Think about it: multiplayer in Zelda with full force? That only means you won't keep all the Zelda fun to yourself; instead of being selfish we can now share the TV! :yes:

Dan

in my opinion, multiplayer makes every game better

Not always true, it depends what you are looking for. It really annoys me now that every publisher forces there developer to attach a multiplayer to a single player experience. I think it just has a better atmosphere sometimes when playing along on some story mission, I do love co-op but there's just some aspects you cannot use in co-op and certainly multiplayer that you can in single player. Zelda can work in co-op but maybe it's best if it's split in some way. It's all a matter of taste. I like how portal 2 split it's co-op section and single player section.

Dan

I don't want to share my TV, I want a game I can play on my time and by myself.

Firstly this just isn't possible, Nintendo have yet to make a Zelda game for squids, yet along a console. I doubt they will anytime soon as the demand is very little in the squid population. Which is another thing that annoys me, publishers won't take risks and fund a little extra on consoles for various animals. Hopefully one day there will be a multiplayer Zelda game for your species.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
What if they eventually turn Zelda into a multiplayer focused game with a horrible story mode?!

Considering Zelda already has rubbish for a story, I wouldn't be too surprised. However, it's pretty easy to note that Nintendo nor gamers in general have much of a "focus" towards offline multiplayer. Since offline multiplayer is so hard to integrate thanks to the consumer's orgastic need for AMAZING GRAPHICS, I really doubt there is any capability of that happening. ;)

I'm not sure if i can cut in, but for some time i have been thinking about one concept...(don't know if it already is)
And i don't quite know if it counts to multiplayer (since you're talking about playing with more people online...)
Well, i like the idea of Mario Party or Mario Kart, so I'm dreaming about playing a Zelda game just like that... imagine it... different playable characters, lots of Zelda-themed places, minigames... just everything... someone can play as Link, some other as Zelda, Ganondorf, or other not main characters...
wouldn't that be great?
(or maybe you know something like that? Then I'm sorry, and let me know:] )

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom