• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Moving out of your home

el :BeoWolf:

When all else fails use fire
I was thinking about where my life is going and how it's on hold until this virus passes and how my brother is moving out soon. Leading to this thread.

At what age do you yourself want to or expect to move out?

What age would you consider it embarrassing to still live with your parents, if it's even embarrassing at all?

For me I'd like to move out with a career before I'm 30 which gives me less than 7 years to go from part time McJobs to a full time career. But living in a tiny town in a tiny state (tiny population wise anyway) really doesn't look hopeful not to mention the terrible economic situation so I'm really flying blind and hoping I find something

I wouldn't really consider any age living at home necessarily embarrassing simply cause everyone has a different situation, but I'd definitely feel weird if I was in my mid 30's and still at home.

Dizzi

magical internet cat....
ZD Legend
I have a flat down the road from oir house and i was gonna be gradually moving in this year but start of the year, i had a foot procedure so couldnt be on my own then the virus hit and...blah...

I'm the worst one to answer this thread since I was on my own really early and living by myself before anyone I ever knew.

Super lonely years.

Circumstances definitely apply but 25-30 would be the ideal time to get out.

But my parents were monsters so it doesn't compute in my head why people would want to stay with theirs, even though I understand people can have good relationships with theirs.

I wouldn't say it'd be embarrassing though, no one person has the same circumstances.

I've also moved a lot and it's always stressful. Moving is never a fun experience.

ExLight

why
Forum Volunteer
I was supposed to move out when I was 19.
Was going to with some old high school friends as roomates but they kept stalling and stalling and stalling and a few weeks ago I got tired of this bull and we had a convo where they finally got the balls to tell me they didn't really plan to. Wish they had ****ing told me that like over two years ago instead of wasting my time.

I'll prolly start looking for a place and roomates when the quarantine or the college semester is over if I'm not too exhausted.

Last edited:

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
I moved out of my dad's place a year after I graduated high school, since I was going to a far away city for university, when I was 18 years old. Until last year, I went back for the summers, but have no intention of doing so any longer. I've been relatively independent since I first moved out so I have no need to move back in.

I don't think there's any shame in staying with your parents into your 20s or 30s. I have an aunt who, due to many mental issues and an overprotective mother, lived with my grandmother until her death in 2016. My aunt now lives with her sister and has never been on her own.

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
I moved out about a month before I turned 20. I probably should have waited until I finished school to moved out since I dropped out soon after I moved but I really just wanted to get out of my moms place and become independent.

I don’t really think there is a problem with living with your parents at any age. As long as you aren’t doing nothing with your life and just bumming around. Hell when I was younger we lived with my grandmother for about a year or two before my mom could get on her feet again. There’s no shame in it in my opinion

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
I'm pretty much on the same boat in that I'd rather be out sometime in my late twenties, any longer and I'd just feel uncomfortable w/ myself
I will say though that out of all of my friends, only 1 is living on his own and frankly, it hasn't been going well for him, it's only a matter of time until he moves back w/ his family, so in reality you should just move out when you believe you're ready too, go at your own pace....as long as its before you turn 30, teehee

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Honestly my plan was to move out after having a full-time job for a while. I was on track, looking for opportunities and making connections and good rapport in the school I want to work at. And then the virus happened and I've been out of pay for almost two months now. My plans were to ideally be able to move out by the end of this year, but no way that's happening now. Hopefully it only gets delayed by another year because I seriously need to get out of this house badly for the sake of my sanity. I seriously can't take much more of the cultish trump worship and fox noise. Get me the f out of here.

LegendOfMeesh

You Are The Light
I lived with a significant other for roughly a year at the age of 20, but then moved back home. I officially moved out a month before I turned 23.

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with living at home past a certain age because like others have said, circumstances change and whatnot.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
There is no actual age to say you have to move out. It all depends on the situation. I didn't make enough money to be living on my own and when I made enough money I was alone with my mom and hell she caused some huuuuuge financial problems. I literally had to pay all her bills otherwise she would've been on the streets in no time. So I got so tired of all the **** and always paying all the bills, keeping the house in order and arrange important appointments while working someties 5 and sometimes 6 days a week so I moved out when I was 35. I don't feel ashamed of it because nobody knows the circumstances. You can plan all you like but nobody can see what's going to happen in the future. I would have loved to move out earlier if the cicumstances were right. It's always a lot of guessing. A lot of people who planned to move out this year are struck by the lockdown happening. They never saw that coming either. So to plan is one thing but to see it happen is another. But never feel ashamed for still living at home.

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
I'm 24 and moved out about a month ago. I was only able to do so because my girlfriend had already done it herself a year ago. We're moving again in about a week (only two minutes away from where we are now) due to our landlord. I wouldn't put blame on anybody for not being able to do this at my age or sooner; it's true that the right circumstances really do have to fall in to place.

We're about an hour and a half away from where I've lived with my brother and mother for the last six years. I'm just thankful I'm still at least this close to them at the moment so the transition is not as rough. I can't fathom what it'd be like to be living in a different state or country right away.

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I think circumstances for each person can be so different that judging people for living with their parents past a certain age is usually not a good thing to do.

If you’re single and live near a major city it’s really tough to move out even in your twenties unless you’re happy to live on cup noodles. So staying with your parents as long as you are able to while saving money to create a safety net for yourself isn’t a bad thing to do at all if you have the opportunity. So long as you respect that your parents are allowing you to stay and contribute financially or otherwise in a way that is agreed fairly between yourself and your parents then I can’t see any problem.

I pay $150 per week to my parents as rent but that’s so so much cheaper than moving out would be in Sydney so I’m glad my parents are helping me not fall behind while I finish my degree. I hope to move out within a year of working full time after graduation if I’m in Sydney and if I move to Japan I’ll obviously be moving out again.

Ninja

Well well well
At what age do you yourself want to or expect to move out?

What age would you consider it embarrassing to still live with your parents, if it's even embarrassing at all?

I moved out when I was 19, with the reason that it was my one shot to take a chance and better my life.

In my culture, its very common for multiple members of family to live in the same house, so the stigma of living with parents, parents living with you, or siblings living together doesn't really bother me. There is a small privacy sacrifice however it's worth it to be close to family.

VikzeLink

The Destructive One
Staff member
I'm 26, soon 27, and I still live at home with my parents. I'm looking for an appartment, but I'm a pit picky, since I don't want it to be too far away form my parents or my job, and I also want it to be my own (buy or first hand contract). I'm in no rush, it'll happen when it happens, and I love and get along with my family very well, so there are no issues there ^^
I don't have any specific goal set for when, I'm saving up money and looking for places. It'll happen eventually. And I'd never be embarassed to live at home, everyones lives are different, there is no specific mold we all have to fit into

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom