• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Movie Sequels that are better than the original

Link Floyd

ᵒⁿ ᵗʰᵉ ʳᵘⁿ
It's pretty rare, but sometimes a sequel to a movie outshines the original. Do you know any movies like that?

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Hmm Spiderman 2 perhaps. There is also Toy Story 2 which I much preferred to the first. Then of course there is The Dark Knight which is an amazing sequel to Batman Begins. Definitely better.

I'm gonna have to be nerdy here because Hollywood is failing me.

Rebuild of Evangelion 2.22

This film was so damn good, it subverted the series, was a great follow up to the first, it totally cut loose and was a constant assault of quality and thrills and good lord that ending! Hoooooly crap!

Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust is a brilliant sequel and just sheer perfection of a movie.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
Spider-Man 2 comes to mind immediately (and also after Deus mentioned it).

I'm not all that into superheroes, but I like Spider-Man because I like spiders. As a kid, I adored the first Spider-Man movie but the second blew it out the water. I loved getting to see how Peter Parker struggled with being a hero and being a regular guy, trying to balance fighting crime with things like getting his homework done or keeping down a job. Issues like that make the whole premise feel far more grounded than making everything gritty and brooding and whatnot. Doc Ock was a fantastic villain, too, and I loved how he was an idealist tempted into villainy by the arms, and not just a madman. Alfred Molina was a perfect casting choice and he does a fantastic job. Spider-Man 2 builds on the first in every way and is the better film as a result.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
Terminator 2 is better than the first movie but it's kinda difficult to compare the two since they're not in the same genre. The first movie was your standard movie monster flick. The second was an action movie with a fair amount of science fiction thrown in. Despite the change the sequel was more entertaining simply because it did more.

Empire Strikes Back is better than A New Hope. It developed the characters further, featured a darker much more desperate tone, greater production values, an engaging romance subplot, and a nuanced character in Lando whose situation added a depth to the star wars unvierse that hasn't been seen before or since.

Heck, for that matter Attack of the Clones is better than Phantom Menace but only by virtue of nothing possibly ever being any worse than Phantom Menace.

The Matrix Reloaded is arguably better than the first movie. The first Matrix suffers a bit from having a load of exposition necessary just to get audiences to understand wtf is going on. The movie overall is quite endearing but simple and straightforward in its premise. It has some tense suspense moments and that bad ass climactic fight scene.

Reloaded piles on sick cgi car chases, endless kung foo butt kicking and pretty much never lets up on the action now that the first movie got all that pesky world building exposition and character development out of the way.

The Incredibles 2, Finding Dory, and Toy Story 3 all outshine the originals, fight me.

I’ll give you Toy Story 3, but Finding Dory is nowhere near the quality of the original. Incrediblea 2 is a little more understandable though I personally wouldn’t put it above the original. To each their own I suppose.

Ghostbusters 2 is better than the original.
The sexist remake though is one of the worst movies ever made.

Terminator 2 is way better than the original movie. T2 really is one of the best action movies ever made.
The 4th Movie set in the future is actually pretty good as well, better than 1 but not better than 2.

Letters from Iwo Jima is so much better than Flags of our Fathers. Sure they are both telling different aspects of the same story, but Iwo Jima came after Flags in terms of when they were filmed and released. Flags is an average movie at best. Iwo Jima is totally amazing, best foreign language movie I've ever seen.
Not really a proper sequel but I'll count it in.

Leathal Weapon 2 beasts out the first, just. All 4 movies are great but I think 2 is slightly better than 1. Though 1 is good as well.

Empire Strikes Back is better than A New Hope. It developed the characters further, featured a darker much more desperate tone, greater production values, an engaging romance subplot, and a nuanced character in Lando whose situation added a depth to the star wars unvierse that hasn't been seen before or since.
I think Episode 4 vs 5 is a really subjective thing. Just different opinions, is all.
I see where you are coming from, but for me I think A New Hope is the best of the original trilogy. It was a much more well rounded story with a great ending. The last 5-10 minutes almost never made it in. At the first test screening they were not there and Lucas and co felt the ending sucked so they added in the last 10 minutes or so. Really helped make the movie great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom