• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Mounts in the New Game

27ジョーカーソン

LOVE AND PEACE
Ok so there's probably already a thread on this, but i didn't find one so i thought i might as well make one. Sorry if this is just a repeat of what someone else said. Anyway I was thinking about how weird it was for SS to have a flying mount, so what if they decided to pull something like that again? I know the trailer has Link riding a horse, but what if there was more than one mount you could use? Like you have epona for your everyday land travel, but what if there was a flying mount? Or even one that swam? I don't know it's just a thought, but what do you guys think about that? Would that be cool or nah? You have any other ideas about mounts in the new

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I think it would really expand transportation and exploration opportunities. It makes me think of how in TP you could just steal enemy Bulblins' boars and ride them around. Perhaps you could steal enemy transportation like that. Or maybe there would be a horse rental shop. Maybe a boat rental shop, too. Though, rental mounts would probably be really restricted.

I think having multiple ways to travel and explore the overworld would be interesting. It would help to make travel in the supposedly vast open world less tedious for people who hate walking everywhere, and it would just be more fun in general. I'd like to see what they could come up with.

PalaeoJoe

The Diplomatic Dinosaur
Multiple mounts? That reminds me of Twilight princess where you could Ride Epona, be a wolf, ride those Giant Pigs that Bublins ride or even use a kargarok to fly. Epona was of cource meant to be the main travailing animal but the other ones were fun to use for shorter periods of time. I think they could pull it off.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Honestly one of the disappointments that came from Skyward Sword was the under utilisation of the Loftwing - my main gripe being the lack of usage in the main overworld (the Surface). I mean just imagine flying around places like Eldin Volcano and the Lanayru Province; it would be awesome.

However there is a problem with flying exploration, and this applies to SS as well, in that it makes navigation and transportation so easy and effortless that it takes away from any hardships and discoveries made on the ground. It takes away some of the unique level design and small hidden items/chests that would be hard to find when on ground, but in the air you'll be able to scout the area much easier. Of course they could recreate the world to fit the use of a flying mechanic, but it's a case of they would have to tone down ground exploration which is a key mechanic of the series.

Swimming mount? Bring on Enguarde!
enguarde-large.jpg

Or I guess we could always bring back new, stylized versions of Ricky, Dmitri and maybe a Moosh that isn't a PitA to use.

Fig

The Altruist
Considering just how huge the game's world is going to be, I wouldn't be surprised if more mounts for Link will be available throughout the adventure within the game. I would assume it would be a bit frustrating to the players to only have walking/running, the sailcloth, and Epona as the only means for travel throughout the entire course of the adventure. If the game is either before or after Skyward Sword, then we could potentially see the return of a Loftwing. Only time will tell at this point.

Beeker

Wild Card
Multiple options for transport in a game like this would be fantastic. If the world is as large as it is, even with Epona it will take quite some time to traverse it, which may get tiresome or boring if it's too sparse or empty. There's bound to be some form of faster travel later in the game too, most likely something along the lines of warping. I wouldn't mind seeing boats, rafts, or even something to glide on( I guess the Sailcloth somewhat fills that role, but I mean over a farther distance). As much as I love my girl Epona, I wanna see a bunch of variety!

snakeoiltanker

Wake Up!
Me and a friend used to talk about doing another transformation like TP, and make it a flying transformation. Something crazy. like a Phoenix, or dragon or something simple like an Eagle. I wouldnt mind one bit!

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
It would be cool to have some more options. I agree with Justa about the use of Loftwings. You only used them to fly from one Island to another and only in the sky. That was it. In TP you had a few more options but not much to do in the large overworld. I hope they will come up with a great idea of transportation and also make the overworld less empty if they're making it huge.

Djinn

and Tonic
Loftwings can be included if they do not quite have pinpoint accuracy. You have to jump off them while moving and use the sailcloth to glide slowly down to your destination. Then you would have a flying mount that does not make traveling and getting to hard to reach places too easy. There are plenty of ways to have flight and not have it be a game breaker in terms of reaching difficult spots.

snakeoiltanker

Wake Up!
This is slightly off topic. But a sub-topic of sorts. A way the COULD make just riding Epona in a big world would be to set up random events. Like helping travelers who are being robbed by Bokoblins or something like that. Kinda like Elderscolls, or even Red Dead Redemption. Actually as far as making a large map full of content, Red Dead could teach a thing or too. Random Bokoblins keep, take them out so that travelers could pass freely, I mean he is the Hero and all.

Just saying they could make a huge world with mounts work if they just give you things to do while using them.

Kybyrian

justac00lguy said:
Honestly one of the disappointments that came from Skyward Sword was the under utilisation of the Loftwing - my main gripe being the lack of usage in the main overworld (the Surface). I mean just imagine flying around places like Eldin Volcano and the Lanayru Province; it would be awesome.

My first thought when I read the OP to this thread: What flying mounts?

Because of what you said. Loftwings weren't around when the game was busy making memories. The presentation of the vast overworld (underworld?) was what was supposed to stick in everyone's minds. Exploring a new wilderness that no one had any clue about, delving into the unknown and mysterious. The Loftwing was a thing you used between the real adventures, a side mount you only called on when you weren't busy having fun. If the Loftwing were available in the overworld, it would have stuck in people's head much more easily and been an amazing mount, but I don't think Skyward Sword's overworld really had room for it, unlike Skyloft. Because of that, I can't blame Nintendo for not letting you use the Loftwing there, but the Loftwing was still a passing fad at best.

A flying mount in a vast overworld like the Wii U Zelda will have though... that would be truly amazing. Naturally, it would be something to be unlocked later in the game, but could you imagine flying over the stunning scenery we've seen so far? The things we haven't seen yet? I hardly think anything would be better. One of my most relaxing memories from the Zelda series is being in or around Lake Hylia in Twilight Princess, but I think soaring above that incredible landscape would top that. Flying mounts, yes please.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom