• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler 'Most Precious Data on Record...'

Yuuki

ギラヒムーあくま
What did you guys think of Fi's character development between Link and others?

If this exists somewhere else please care to share.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fi only really had some sort of personality in the last 5 mins of the ending. I really didn't see ANY other character development from her. Sure, I understand Nintendo went for the emotionless, robotic sidekick this time round and wanted her to appear like that. But in my opinion you can't have the whole game of Fi being boring then just chuck in her actually being of interest untill the very end of the game.

Links Brother

I am Links older Brother!
Fi has almost no emotions at all. Yet at the end she feels happiness and does not want to leave Link. This is because they have been together for a long time and they have relied in each other. This made them bond. The first time I saw Fi starting to like Link in the quest was after beating the first dungeon sky view temple. Once Fi has done her dance she stares sort of curiously at Link. Almost as if she feels a relationship bettween them.

Ochibi

An enthusiastic nobody.
I think that sort of emotionless, intelligent character adds to her charm.
I normally hate these kind of characters but Fi was different.

I though or, I'd like to think that Fi is 'wired' and designed to have Artificial Intelligence (like Hal), where she hangs around Link and starts gaining a better understanding of how 'we're' wired and adapt some of those characteristics.
Alas, that never happened until the end-- maybe she's a slow AI.
Or she's just shy and didn't want to show that side of her. Herp Derp.

I think that sort of emotionless, intelligent character adds to her charm.
I normally hate these kind of characters but Fi was different.

I though or, I'd like to think that Fi is 'wired' and designed to have Artificial Intelligence (like Hal), where she hangs around Link and starts gaining a better understanding of how 'we're' wired and adapt some of those characteristics.
Alas, that never happened until the end-- maybe she's a slow AI.
Or she's just shy and didn't want to show that side of her. Herp Derp.
I agree. Fi was the emotionless character archetype, but she was a cool, charming variation on it. I think she was a great character in that regard. And yes, the ending basically indicates that she learns the basics of human emotion, even feeling it herself. I partially predicted that this would happen, although it didn't happen exactly how I expected.

I was a little disappointed that the only really touching moment we got to share with her was right at the end. Since WW and TP it seems the thing to do to have Link bond with his companion. However I saw it as more uplifting than anything. She always was an emotionless 'robot' and then, right at the end, she shows that she really is capable of more. She won't be spending her time in the Master Sword just analysing numbers, she has feelings and will no doubt miss Link as much as he is implied to miss her. At the same time though it's quite sad to think that she has to leave just as she is getting to grips with what it means to be human.
Yeah, this disappointed me too. I was happy to see that scene at the end, and I wouldn't have wanted the game to have been without it, but it nonetheless felt awkward after the entirety of the game spent without any character development. This is probably the worst aspect of the game's storytelling and characterization, and it's odd because the game otherwise excels at that. What the hell, Nintendo?!

But ya, the ending with Fi was cool. As I've said, I was glad to see it. I don't think it's necessarily that sad, though. She was never meant to live as a human. She's fulfilling her duty, the purpose for which she was created. She stated herself that she was happy. She wasn't happy because she was leaving Link, but she was happy that she got to be with Link and complete her duty alongside him. I think the completion of her purpose was also part of the reason she was happy, otherwise I would figure she would have stated that she was feeling sadness, not happiness, when she left Link.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I personally feel like Fi was a waste of text, especially with the ending and what not. I already know of her 'purpose', which I feel was still a waste, I get that she was supposed to be monotone and a director of sorts. She never felt like someone who you could bond with, because she didn't feel. She analyzed the simplest of things. She gave us calculations of enemies and even on NPCs. She beeped at me for having low hearts. That's nothing worthy of a bond, and certainly doesn't warrant a tear. It's nothing like the whole Midna thing, with her being a douche and then doing what she did at the end. Midna had emotion, no matter how much I hated it and her. Fi on the other hand, she was emotionless and didn't feel much like a character to me at all.

The ending was touching (a bit), but besides that Fi was basically just the CPU of Skyward Sword, nothing more. So I can't say she even had a development, because she never really DID anything.

I personally feel like Fi was a waste of text, especially with the ending and what not. I already know of her 'purpose', which I feel was still a waste, I get that she was supposed to be monotone and a director of sorts. She never felt like someone who you could bond with, because she didn't feel. She analyzed the simplest of things. She gave us calculations of enemies and even on NPCs. She beeped at me for having low hearts. That's nothing worthy of a bond, and certainly doesn't warrant a tear. It's nothing like the whole Midna thing, with her being a douche and then doing what she did at the end. Midna had emotion, no matter how much I hated it and her. Fi on the other hand, she was emotionless and didn't feel much like a character to me at all.

The ending was touching (a bit), but besides that Fi was basically just the CPU of Skyward Sword, nothing more. So I can't say she even had a development, because she never really DID anything.
Yeah, they clearly handled her development poorly, but I don't think that was the fault of the concept behind her character. Emotionless people who learn to feel and/or care about others are actually a decently common trope in fiction, and they're usually handled decently. Fi had potential to be like this, but they kinda dropped the ball and saved it for the end. It would have been a lot cooler if they'd developed this more throughout the game.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Yeah, they clearly handled her development poorly, but I don't think that was the fault of the concept behind her character. Emotionless people who learn to feel and/or care about others are actually a decently common trope in fiction, and they're usually handled decently. Fi had potential to be like this, but they kinda dropped the ball and saved it for the end. It would have been a lot cooler if they'd developed this more throughout the game.

With how robot-like and emotionless she was, I'd say she actually had quite a bit of development. Not as much as there could have been, but a fair bit nonetheless.

Yuuki

ギラヒムーあくま
Thank you for sharing your opinions.

She won't be spending her time in the Master Sword just analysing numbers, she has feelings and will no doubt miss Link as much as he is implied to miss her. At the same time though it's quite sad to think that she has to leave just as she is getting to grips with what it means to be human.

This stood out the most to me, (going through my second play through) I am now starting to realise though that Fi does try to connect with Link and channel 'human empathy', such as on Eldin Volcano when the Mogmas state that a Golden haired girl was dragged through here before and the Fi ask's Link who do you think it may be? (If you answer The black robed Woman Fi says that Link's assessment is 10% rounded up. And if you answer Zelda she states something like a 97% probability), I really see how the producers of the game make attempts (not saying they didn't want Link and Fi to share a bond because it is obvious they do) to show how they connect, Fi really tries (to me anyway) to understand the Human Condition in the game.

I really like her character her Character development over Midna to be honest, it was cool and all how she grew to understand the World of Light and came to like Link and Zelda however to me Fi's development of a lifeless 'Robot' that does analyse data grows over time and is more stronger (or how I perceive it anyway) as there are not many scenes that do show how she begins to understand (mainly the one at the end where she compliments Link on their time together) however this left me at the same time; wanting Fi to grow more between Link (an perhaps the people around her) and disappointed due to the fact that they only added few scenes in of this. However I did notice that when Link begins finding the flames and when he completes his spiritual challenges in the Silent Realm, Fi does always wish him 'Good luck' and to me this really conveys her development between Link as at the start it was just 'probability and analysing'. When Link obtains a new Sacred Flame and she powers the Goddess Sword up Link does smile at Fi however much to my disappointment Fi fails to connect with Link, these scenes do strongly convey her character development with Link though as there is that magnetism between Link and Fi as Link grows to really like Fi as a friend and companion.

Of course however nothing beats the final scene where Fi states she has fulfilled her duty in aiding Link in his quest as the 'Hero of Legend' all be it the strongest scene really conveys Fi's emotional capability of the Human Condition as she does recognise the feelings she has as 'something close to happiness' which I personally thought was amazing how Nintendo did pull this off, as The Blue Repitle stated earlier on (and I did quote):

She won't be spending her time in the Master Sword... she has feelings and will no doubt miss Link... At the same time though it's quite sad to think that she has to leave just as she is getting to grips with what it means to be human.

I do strongly agree with what you say and it is quite sad (yes I did cry a bit) :p however the connotation from the start was that Fi's only purpose was to aid Link in his quest to become the 'Hero of Legend', however the character development (the few scenes) that are added do truly emphasise the disconsolate scene at the end where she does in one sense depart from Link however it does truly reflect the time Link and Fi spent together.

Fi was a great character to be honest and it was sad to see her depart but I am glad she does say that: 'It is the most precious Data on record.'

Yes, Fi was a really boring charecter and at the end I thought that nintendo wanted players to feel sort of sad that fis going away, but I didnt because fi was so undeveloped.

TrueChaos

Defender of Hyrule
she didn't have much emotion but i don't think she was SUPPOSED to have any seeing as she was the spiritual embodiment of the sword. she gains some emotion in the ending but that's it. it was a great scene though

Fi only really had some sort of personality in the last 5 mins of the ending. I really didn't see ANY other character development from her. Sure, I understand Nintendo went for the emotionless, robotic sidekick this time round and wanted her to appear like that. But in my opinion you can't have the whole game of Fi being boring then just chuck in her actually being of interest untill the very end of the game.

This is pretty much exactly how I felt.

I thought Fi's character development was decent; she's not exactly a lovable character - if it wasn't for Scrapper I don't think I would have began liking her! I kept thinking of Glados (Portal) when I started the game. But the ending was sentimental and a good thing to add on though she never appears again so maybe it's all for naught.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom