• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Most Overrated/Underrated Zelda Game?

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
The most overrated is The Wind Waker. It is first and foremost a poorly animated cartoon that assumes Link died in OoT. . . just no. The sailing takes an eternity. The Zora are now freaky bird people. Ganondorf looks like he has a massive bear belly. It's a poorly animated cartoon. The boss battles seemed a bit easy. The ending makes no sense. Its also A FREAKY UGLY CARTOON!\

The most underrated is TP. People seem to hate that game. It was similar to Ocarina of Time in look, geography, and feel. We all agree OoT is awesome, so there should be a connection. The wolf was interesting idea, I liked it. The boss battles were among the best and most action-packed in the series. The story was nice and serious. I got to ride a horse again. It was just an awesome game. Stop hating on it!

While I do agree with your analysis of Twilight Princess being underrated I feel you were very harsh on Wind Waker!

First fo all the Wind Waker takes place on the Adult timeline so it has nothing to do with Link being defeated as that is where AlttP happens on the Defeated timeline! Also by quoting that the Graphics are cartoony is a poor assessment in my eyes! The style is called Cel-Shaded it isn't meant to be an animated cartoon by any means...Plus the Cel-Shaded graphcis added to the charm of the Wind Waker and by saying that it had "poor animation" when TWW really brought facial eexpressions to life is a bit of an understatement in my eyes!

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
O No You Didn''t

First of all, Medli is in fact descended from Laruto the Zora; that's canon. Other comments in game and from game creators confirm this beyond any doubt. Look it up, its fact.

As for the timeline, my bad.

Spirit Tracks is a 3d game with many gameplay elements depending on the 3d. There's no way everything in that game would have worked in 2d.

Kirino

Tatakae
ihateghirahim said:
Spirit Tracks is a 3d game with many gameplay elements depending on the 3d. There's no way everything in that game would have worked in 2d.

Such as?

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Also, how are the Rito bad?

Komali is an annoyance and Quill tried too hard to be cool and failed...sorta like my nephew does when he acts like the world is a script and he's playing a noble knight. But their design in particular was poor and their origin was a giant plot hole.

They were a great race, and, to my knowledge, the whole "Zora evolved into Rito" thing is just a theory, although I don't have HH, so I can't be sure.

It was confirmed in game. The fact that a Rito has a Zora ancestor clearly means they evolved.

and how did the ending make no sense?

Well I personally was a little baffled with it it went from KORL fulfilling the goddesses' wishes and trying to save Hyrule and Ganondorf trying to destroy it to Ganondorf trying to save Hyrule and KORL trying to destroy it and then going An Hero. There was no transition at all. Even Zant's character change had more transition than this.

You probably just have something against cel-shading.

Dunno about him, but I actually loved Okami's cell shading, but still found tWW's to be poor.

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
1. Everything you saw from the train. Everything you watched out for and battled simply wouldn't have worked in a 2d setting. They have distinct depth-dependent shapes.

2. Cel-shading can be used effectively, but not here. It's bad, and every other Zelda game has a more serious and realistic look outside of WW and the spinoffs. It's not a good thing to have this animation compared to the others.

3. Why did the King destroy Hyrule rather than just wish for Ganondorf to die?: Isn't that what the goddesses wanted? Why the deliberate suicide? What were the Kings motives at the end? I just don't get it.

TatlTails

WANTS HER VMS BACK
3. Why did the King destroy Hyrule rather than just wish for Ganondorf to die?: Isn't that what the goddesses wanted? Why the deliberate suicide? What were the Kings motives at the end? I just don't get it.

He chose to kill off Hyrule because he knew that everyone was done with Hyrule. The only ones hanging on to it were him and Ganondorf. No one needed Hyrule, and no one remembered Hyrule. It was time for Hyrule to die, and the King knew that.

I think that King Daphnes wished for the destruction of Hyrule for one simple reason. He has seen that the world has become more peaceful and less troubled since it was flooded by the Goddesses. I would say that in the beginning he believes that Hyrule can still be salvaged and things can go back to the way they were following the victory of the Hero of Time. By the time we get to the final confrontation with Ganondorf, Daphnes has accepted that all ancient Hyrule is bringing this world is trouble and that the best option would be to wipe away the forgotten kingdom and all the troubles it causes to the land above the sea. He wants his descendent and her people to forget Hyrule and move on to a new life. In the King's eyes the only thing to do is to erase the ancient kingdom to make sure it no longer troubles anyone. We can't say what the Goddesses's wanted or what their intentions were. I they did want Ganondorf dead; then why didn't they just do that themselves instead of flooding Hyrule?

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
Ok, overrated according to who? I can list what I think are the most overrated and underrated games, but I don't think I can make an objective statement for that sort of thing.

Ok, with that disclaimer outta the way...
Most overrated: The Legend of Zelda (NES)
I've heard talk from other fans, both old and new, about how this game had this great nonlinearity to it, that it set the staples for what would follow in the rest of the series, etc., and I decided to give it a try. Totally overrated. Aside from having to make my own map of Hyrule (which I'll admit was fun in its own sense, but that's just because I like cartography) I found the game to be pretty boring. I didn't really see any real challenge from me as a player, the combat is incredibly simplistic (yes I know it's an NES game, shut up), the dungeons all felt the same, I could go on. I don't have any real incentive to pick it back up again.
Most underrated: Spirit Tracks
Why don't you people like this game!? The dungeons are very challenging and a huge step up from what I've normally found, the characterization is much improved from what I've seen before it, the train had its own sort of charm to it, the music is fantastic, it's showing an advancement of the Hylian people as they're settling into a new world, I could go on. Was the train so bad for the rest of you that you didn't give the game a fair chance!?

SpiritGerudo

Flamey-o, Hotman!
Wow it's really interesting to see how some people think a game is overrated and others think it's underrated.

Lets see . . . this was actually pretty hard, but . . .

Most Overrated: SKYWARD SWORD
While I agree that Skyward Sword was an excellent game, I think people are loving it a little too much. I hear everyone going on about how great the game was but-- and maybe this is just me not paying attention well enough-- I don't hear much about WHY people loved it so much, while I've heard a lot of good reasons that the game wasn't so great. Also, this has a little to do with the order of how I played the games. The first game that I ever had was Collector's Edition on the GameCube, so I played the N64 Zeldas and the two oldest games first, then I skipped to SS when it came out. It wasn't until AFTER I played SS that I went and I played Twilight Princess, and have seen quite a bit from Spirit Tracks and the newer games in general. I thought SS was pretty cool, how they pretty much rethought the puzzles and everything and came up with a unique, original game, even if the game wasn't as good as it could've been. Then I play TP and saw a lot from the newer games and realized that not a lot from SS was new or original, and-- no offense intended here, you're entitled to your opinion-- I think that people who hail SS as one of the best Zelda games have become accustomed to the newer games, and have forgotten about other elements of the games that the series has forgotten that made the older games really good.

Most Underrated (this one was harder since it's hard to resist the urge to say that my favorite game is underrated because I mean it's my FAVORITE GAME, of COURSE I'll think no one loves it enough): THE WIND WAKER

Ok, I can PROVE that this isn't my favorite by the fact that I've NEVER PLAYED IT, so NOBODY say I'm biased :). Anyway, I think a lot of people dismiss WW as being "childish" or "cartoony" because of the graphics, and so hate it because of that, but if they payed attention to the characters and story without that, they would find something different. Had WW had TP graphics, I think it would be liked DRASTICALLY more, and that's just wrong. Because one mechanic of the game doesn't require effort (though I don't think I can say much in favor of the actual sailing having done it myself), and just because they don't like how the game designers envisioned Hyrule, they dismiss the game as being bad, and don't make any effort to even try to see why people think it is good. Like I said, I can't say much on this topic since I haven't played the game for more than 20 minutes at a time, so . . . do with this what you will.

Last edited:

Snoober

P O K E M O N M A S T E R
MOST OVERRATED
I'd say Ocarina of Time for sure. The only reason the game is viewed to be so good is the same reason FFVII is for the FF series being that it was the first one that was 3D'd.

MOST UNDERRATED Link's Awakening all the way. People never mention it when talking about their best Zelda games but one in a handful; however, to me LA was in fact my 2nd favorite Zelda game ONLY behind Windwaker.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I'd say Ocarina of Time for sure. The only reason the game is viewed to be so good is the same reason FFVII is for the FF series being that it was the first one that was 3D'd.

Not necessarily. I mean, I have no proof of this claim, but let's assume Majora's Mask was the first 3D title. Do you believe people would be so warmhearted to it? Or TWW with its cartoonish graphics? Many fans of OoT I've spoken to did in fact say that the game is "timeless", which sounds to me like they're saying "because I played this back then, it's amazing". But, others still cite the game's stellar game design, the ability to go severely out of orders, all of the game enhancing glitches, and many more as their reasoning for loving OoT. :)

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
While I agree that Skyward Sword was an excellent game, I think people are loving it a little too much. I hear everyone going on about how great the game was but-- and maybe this is just me not paying attention well enough--

Other than JJ?

Most overrated is obviously Majora's Mask. Pretty much everyone jumped on that bandwagon in like just the past two years. It isn't OoT anymore. The people who like Majora's Mask just absolutely must be heard and let everyone else know that OoT isn't the best. Normally they don't argue for Majora's Mask, but against OoT. I'm not saying people out there don't actually think that MM is a better game. I'm saying that trying to compare it to OoT to prove a point shows the obvious little brother mentality. I just don't like it very much because I hate being restricted in a video game. Thus I was never relaxed playing the game and didn't have a very good time.

Most underrated has got to be MC imo. I don't think games like WW, TP, OoT, or MM can even be included in this because they all have their respective fanbases. But I hardly ever see anyone including MC in their top 5 lists. It has an original Zelda story, beautiful 2D graphics, and a bad guy who's not Ganon or some awful Shadow Dream monster. (That's right. I probably find LA to be the 2nd most overrated Zelda game)

But who cares about what we think is over/underrated. The fact that the fanbase is so split between all these different games just shows the success LoZ has had.

Most overrated Zelda Game
Hm...Hard to say I think maybe Twilight Princess coming in at a close tie with Skyward Sword.
Most underrated Zelda game is Wind Waker and I think Phantom Hourglass (Inevitably for me I love Phantom Hourglass because it was my first Zelda Game) Nonetheless I think it was still a good game despite what it was capable of using a touch screen

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom