• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Most Justified Antagonists?

Who are the antagonists who's actions seemed just to you?

Did you only understand their motivations or get behind them as well?

I think a fair few Tales antagonists could be considered justified.

Duke in Vesperia was an extremist and wanted to give the world back to greater being after humanity had driven them out following a war. I see the logic there, it would have been better for the planet but humanity would need to be wiped out.

Wiping out humanity is obviously a big no-no. But I still see the logic.

I'd also say that Gaius in Xillia was justified, his actions came from a need to pre-empt social and political upheavals that seemed to be a certainty in the future. But to do so would be to go to war, and Milla and the gang couldn't have that.

I don't condone him going to war to get his own way, but I definitely saw the logic in his arguments that it'd better help him protect his people as King.

The one that comes to mind is Edelgard from Three Houses. Thanks to the routes, the game does an excellent job of painting her depth, and portrays her as more human in Crimson Flower. While I do not agree with her decisions or actions, I certainly understand why she did what she did.

Ooooh Edelgard is a good one, I feel like she and Gaius would get along so well.

GrooseIsLoose

Slickest pompadour in town
ZD Legend
Light Yagami from death note is the first that comes to mind. I'll edit in more later.

Edit:-
Sandman from Spiderman 3. He turned to crime to pay for his daughters treatment. I can understand and even get behind this. It's a matter of life and death and you should do everything in your power to save your family.
Agreed. And also Harry Osborne as goblin.

Last edited:

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Arthur Fleck from Joker. I get why he turned out to be a villain after the way he was mistreated throughout his life. I feel like the people he killed were more deserving than most of what they got.

Hannibal Lecter. Eating the rude and to perform a public service like eating a member of a band that played out of tune. I think he is extreme for eating people but I do understand why he might select his victims.

Sandman from Spiderman 3. He turned to crime to pay for his daughters treatment. I can understand and even get behind this. It's a matter of life and death and you should do everything in your power to save your family.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
Gnasty Gnorc from Spyro the Dragon.

He was chilling in his own realm, minding his business and not bothering anyone. Then the dragons insult him for literally no reason on TV, calling him "simple" and "ugly".

Ok, waving his sceptre and encasing every dragon in crystal, then turning all of their treasure into his minions to conquer their lands may have been a little disproportionate, but I can see where the guy is coming from. The dragons did bring it upon themselves.

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
My first mention would've been Edelgard, since I think she's an antagonist that is very easy to sympathize with and her objective is something that I could get behind myself, although her actions are very questionable.

But since she's already been mentioned I think I'll go with Ganon from WW. His motivations for seeking the power of the Triforce weren't initially harmful towards others, as he says in his monologue before the final battle:

"My country lay within a vast desert. When the sun rose into the sky, a burning wind punished my lands, searing the world. And when the moon climbed into the dark of night, a frigid gale pierced our homes. No matter when it came, the wind carried the same thing... Death. But the winds that blew across the green fields of Hyrule brought something other than suffering and ruin. I coveted that wind, I suppose. It can only be called fate...That here I would again gather the three with the crests...That I should lay my hand on that which grants the wishes of the beholder..."

Even when his desire for that power threatens the world, he doesn't seek for unnecessary death, as he says to Link: "Do not fear. I will not kill you...I merely have need of the power that dwells within you."

While he certainly needed to be stopped, it is at least understandable why he wanted to use the power of the Triforce, rather than just wanting to control or destroy the world as most incarnations of Ganon(dorf) do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom