• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Most Iconic Dragons In Literature, Cinema, Games, Etc.

There was a pretty long discussion in the Shoutbox earlier today about one of the most popular mythological creatures, dragons. They've made many appearances in books, movies, and video games ranging from Beowulf to The Hobbit to Harry Potter to The Elder Scrolls.

When you think of dragons, which ones first come to mind? What do other people mainly think of? Why do these dragons stand out to you or to people in general?

Stitch

AKA Patrick
Meet Draco, from the 1996 movie Dragonheart:
latest

Batman

Not all those who wander are lost...
This really probably isn't appropriate considering how obscure this dragon is, therefore not really making it "iconic". It's only iconic to a particular sub-culture of fans. But I feel it's far too cool to be as obscure as it is, and I find it extremely interesting.

I choose Ancalagon the Black, the greatest dragon in the history of Middle-earth. Ancalagon was by far the largest and most powerful of all the dragons, being an Urulókë, or Fire-drake, who led the dragon onslaught in the War of Wrath that had the Valar, Elves, Men, and Dwarves making the greatest stand in world history against Morgoth and the forces of evil. Ancalagon literally drove back the gods, but was eventually defeated by Eärendil the Mariner, who, shining in white flame with a Silmaril at his disposal and aboard his mighty flying ship Vingilot, cast Ancalagon down after a 24-hour battle in the skies. Ancalagon fell from the sky and his fall literally broke Thangorodrim (a small mountain range of several volcanos, and the highest mountains in Middle-earth), and crushed Morgoth's mighty fortress of Angband in the process.

Yeah.

35_faf55.jpg

Djinn

and Tonic
If you have ever seen anything RPG, 80's fantasy, or dungeons and dragons related then you have probably seen their little company icon. The red dragon Malystryx

n_72b03f9d.jpg

It basically made up the TSR dragon logo for around 30 years.

Then Shenron from Dragonball is known around the world and almost instantly recognizable. Even if it did only appear in the show less than 10 times over the 11 year history of the show.

char_700.jpg

And the Welsh are pretty attached to the one on their flag

stock-footage-wales-detail-of-waving-flag.jpg

Mamono101

生きることは痛みを知ること。
Staff member
What about Falkor, the luck dragon, from The NeverEnding Story? For me, this dragon is instantly recognisable and I'd go so far as to call him an icon from that particular film and the book by Michael Ende.

falcor-jpg.29444

falcor.jpg

Djinn

and Tonic
With Falcor I always got the impression the director/writer wanted an eastern dragon. But the art department had no idea what that was and assumed really big scaley dog thing. And that's what they ended up making.

I actually hoped one of those guys later on walked into a Chinese restaurant or something and saw a Chinese Dragon somewhere on the wall and really felt stupid.

Snow Queen

Mannceaux Signature Collection
Smaug is obviously the go-to answer, along with the dragon in Eragon (is Eragon the dragon's name? never read it). Also the dragon from Dragon Ball is super iconic.

There's Mushu from the Mulan movies. I know he's pretty well-known & he's probably one of the better Disney sidekicks (too bad they made him unlikeable in the sequel).

Falkor's awesome, but I hate what they did to him in the third movie. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom