• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Most Fun/Frustrating Mini-Game?

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Sorry if there is a thread similar to this one....

So yeah simple thread! What in your opinion was the most fun and the most frustrating mini-game in the Legend of Zelda series?

Most Fun
I would have to say the snowboarding game in Twilight Princess! There was just something epic and fun about this Mini-Game....It offered quite a bit of challenge without being frustrating plus the views when racing down Snowpeak with the Yeti was just amazing!

Most Fustrating
Easy one! The FunFun Island mini-game from Skyward Sword:mad: Such an ironic name :/ the reason why this was so frustrating was that it was based mostly upon luck! I wasted so many rupees on this mini-game and many a ragequit haha!

Last edited:

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Most Fun
I would have to say I really enjoyed the snowboarding minigame in Twilight Princess. Despite how much I hate that game, I have to admit that minigame was a lot of fun. I'm a big fan of snowboarding in video games, like the Ice Cap Zone in Sonic Adventure, so when I found that minigame in Twilight Princess, I had a lot of fun with it.

Most Frustrating
I would pick pretty much any shooting gallery minigame for this. I always have a ton of trouble with those, and I can almost never seem to reach the target amount of points; I always end up around the number, sometimes even a few points off from it. It is so frustrating to me to come so close and then miss and fail. That happens to me in shooting gallery minigames far more often than I'd like.

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
The best/worst

The best shall always be the Fishing mini-game on Ocarina of Time. I would do that for hours at a time. It takes skill, patience, and the occasional sinking lure. You just can't beat the satisfaction of catching an 18 pounder.

The worst is that one from Majora's Mask where you have to fly around a series of moving platforms to get rubies as a Deku Scrub. That took me a million tries. I could never ever time the landings right.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Most Fun
I prefer the Slingshot minigame in the Lost Woods in Ocarina of Time. It's quick, easy and leads to a nifty although useless reward (unless challenge running) -- the 40 Seed Bullet Bag.

Most Frustrating
Hmm...I'd say the Letter minigame in The Wind Waker is most frustrating, if you disregard all Archery minigames in OoT/MM. Doing the thing for the first time isn't hard, but when you get to trying to beat high scores, you basically can't win unless you're TASing! D:

Cfrock

Keep it strong
Most Fun

The snowboarding in Twilight Princess just delights me more than anything ^^

Most Frustrating

Roll Goal, also from TP. You've got to be so gentle with it and I always found that tricky.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Are Cave of Ordeals and Lighting Round mini games <--Fanboy.

But seriously, the most annoying is Fun Fun Island. I HAAAAAAAAAAAATE luck based games.

Note: I discuss minigames in Ocarina of Time and also Majora's Mask, so if you don't want to be spoiled for those games, please do not read this post. Please enjoy your day, regardless.

Argh, I hate minigames so much. But more often than not, they have a Heart Piece attached to them. The Shooting Gallery, Honey and Darling's shop, and the Deku playground are the reason why I never have actually 100% completed Majora's Mask. I feel like if I devoted a couple hours to it, I'd eventually pass them either out of sheer luck or by memorizing the locations of all the objectives. In the end, I'd rather just play for fun, and I just don't find those minigames fun... at all.

Now, Ocarina of Time I have actually 100% completed a few times. But not without some of the most agonizing wastes of time that I have ever used up for a video game. I dread fishing so much. And there is not one, but a total of two heart pieces tied to the fishing game. Let's see, what else annoys me? Oh right... Bombchu Bowling. There is perhaps nothing more frustrating than hitting a perfect set of three shots to win 10 bombs, and then completely failing the time that the Piece of Heart is the prize. Cycling through the prizes, dropping all your rupees just to get that stupid Piece of Heart is just obnoxious. (Although, there really aren't any other places that you need rupees, so I guess it doesn't matter THAT much.) Not to mention that after listening to the music for about 40 seconds, I'd rather just shove the Bombchus into the music box itself to silence it forever.

Ah yes, the horseback archery game. Really, I just hate that one as well. Coming so close to the target amount and then failing and getting laughed at by the Gerudo who, coincidentally, never is seen actually riding a horse, is just not how I want to spend 40 minutes of my time. I feel like I'm still missing some. Oh yes, the treasure chest game! It never occurred to me to

read the instructions on the sign and get the hint about using the lens of truth to cheat
so I actually tried to just get lucky and hit the 1 in 32 chance of winning the first few times I played Ocarina of Time. Just dreadful.

Now that I've spent a good four paragraphs or so complaining, I guess I should probably include some minigames that I actually liked. I will say that I am okay with the shooting minigames in Ocarina of Time. They were challenging enough (for me at least) while still being doable in a reasonable amount of time. Does the Gerudo Training Grounds count as a minigame? I'm not really sure, but if it does, then it is one of my favorites. I've also come to enjoy the Goron racing, mostly because I've played Majora's Mask enough times that it finally isn't heinously difficult to me. There's still a fair amount of uncertainty about each race, but I can generally get it within the first three attempts, which is reasonable.

I also enjoyed the balloon-shooting minigame in Majora's Mask where you reunite with Epona. I think it's easy because after hunting the Big Poes in Ocarina of Time, hitting a stationary target from a moving horse just doesn't seem that difficult anymore. My favorite minigame is probably the beaver races though, because I enjoyed swimming as a Zora in Majora's Mask, and the rapids races are pretty much a celebration of that mechanic.

Honestly, I haven't really even bothered checking out all the mini-games in Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword. I'd probably just get even more annoyed...

Igos du Ikana

Maldorok
Most Fun The Goron Races in Majora's Mask. I know alot of people think they're hard/unresponsive/whatever else, but I've always loved the challenge. It was the first actual "race" sequence in a Zelda game, and you can re-do it however many times you like without having to make a new character.

Most Frustrating I'm sure this is well known by now, but the most frustrating one for me is the Lon Lon Ranch race in Ocarina of Time. Now, I don't think it's all that hard(though it does take awhile to get good at it), but I tryed to unlock the "flying white horse". After hours upon hours I realized there was no such thing, and now I always think of that while playing the game.

Oooohhh i hate most minigames in Zelda, i dont think ive ever enjoyed one. I really can't choose. the ones in MM where you have to get top scores on three days in a row is a nightmare...

Hmmm...

Most fun- bombchu alley in OoT

Most annoying- anything that involves the bow

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
How could you?

Some mini-games are tedious, but they have provided fun and enjoyment since the original game. They provide fun and test your skills. I hope they keep coming in future games.

Most Fun: I thought that the Snowboarding Mini-Game from Twilight Princess was one of the most fun Minigames in Zelda. The scenery of the Mini-Game was amazing as all of Snowpeak is while trying to avoid all of the possible bottomless pits throughout the Mini-Game.

Most Frustrating: The most annoying/frustrating Mini-Games would have to be the Fishing ones. I just have a terrible time trying to be patient, and I find it very hard for me to catch a fish. Another Mini-Game I despise is the Goron Dance Hall from Oracle of Ages. Much, Much harder than the Subrosian Dance Hall from Oracle of Seasons. My last annoying Mini-Game is Roll Goal. Do I need to describe Roll Goal?

I loved flying around on the chicken over lake Hylia trying to get on the parts of the island of treasure and the cannon guys house. (also if you pay the guy to grab a chicken, go to the wall and make sure you facing the doorway/platform perfectly straight. Now don't grab a chicken and run off. You just did the highest dive in the game :)). The most annoying was the treasure chest game in OOT where it becomes increasingly unlikely as you play until the point where (I did the math) if you get to the last treasure chest choice room there is a 1/64 chance youll get the right one and there is also a probablility whether or not you will even get the right ones before that and those added up gives an even more unlikely chance. Thank god for the lens of truth.

Last edited:

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
Most Fun: Having a hard time deciding between the horse racing in Ocarina of Time (because I like riding Epona) or the You vs. Bamboo game in Skyward Sword (because I thought slashing my viritual sword was fun).

Most Frustating: Pretty much anything involving ice. I dislike it in real life and I dislike it in games. Slippery Station in Spirit Tracks I kind of... tried the first level a few times and gave up on it with a "Screw you, minigame!" because of the navigating/running on ice. It's the only station in that game I didn't ace and clean up treasure on becuase I just kind of refused to play it. Ice is bad enough, making it timed made me growl and take my little choo-choo elsewhere.

Most Fun: Pirates' Fortress-Spirit Tracks
I enjoyed Link's Crossbow Training and this is the closest Link has been to using the crossbow again. Its on rails nature preserved the authenticity of the experience. Earning the heart container was grueling but not cheap or overly challenging.

Most Annoying: Subrosian Dancing Hall-Oracle of Seasons
Music and rhythm aren't my strong areas therefore moving with the tempo gets me every time. It's a fairly simple mini-game in practice but exhausting in execution.

Rachel

be vigitant
Most Fun: I remember the squid battleship game being pretty fun. It seems to be one of the more strategic minigames. There is luck involved, but not too much. Plus, I love the enthusiasm of the guy who runs the game.

Most Annoying: The mine carts in Skyward Sword. It required such precise timing and a lot of practice! I remember getting frustrated with this one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom