• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Most Favorite Zelda Enemy

Hey guys today I am going to talk what our most favorite Zelda enemy is. Mine is probably the Darknuts from the 3D zelda games I just liked killing them and stuff. And in Wind Waker, I liked to take their weapon and chuck it at them and hit them with it. It was fun for me! Plus to me I thought they looked cool for some reason. Do you guys think they looked cool too? Tell me about that too. So that is my favorite Zelda enemy. So guys, tell me if you think they look cool, and tell me your favorite zelda enemy!

Last edited:

Majora's Cat

How about that
I don't recall if I've seen or not seen a thread such as this before... but I'll post anyway.

I would say my favorite enemy is the Darknut/Iron Knuckle. For those of you who don't know, Darknuts appeared in the two later 3D Zeldas, Wind Waker and Twilight Princess (as well as the original Legend of Zelda). Iron Knuckles appeared in Majora's Mask and Ocarina of Time. Both share similar traits - they are both armor clad, wield menacing swords/axes and do lots of damage. That is why I would consider the two to technically be the same enemy since there is not much to distinguish between the two.

Anyway, Darknuts/Iron Knuckles intrigued me because a) armor flew off when they were struck by your sword and b) could only be hurt after they just attacked - otherwise, they are practically invincible. Bomb arrows in Twilight Princess really made Darknuts less of a threat than they could've been, but fighting four at once was still a grueling task. Iron Knuckles were huge and powerful as well - a hefty four hearts of damage were brought down upon players whenever they stood in the warrior's way. Even so, Iron Knuckles could easily be defeated by simple backflips, jump attacks and arrows. It really doesn't take much effort to defeat Iron Knuckles(especially with the Great Fairy Sword or Biggoron Sword), but they still posed much more of a threat than the weak enemies displayed in the 3D console Zeldas.

As for Darknuts, their attack patterns are largely the same, but are a little more intelligent than their predecessor, the Iron Knuckle. Darknuts were also heavily clad in armor, but instead yielded their weakness less often and more unpredictably. As in OoT and MM, this armored colossus takes many strikes to kill. An element of surprise is added when all the armor comes off and the Darknuts charge at you at incredible speeds. Although this as also evident in the Iron Knuckle's attack strategy, the Darknuts in Wind Waker were given a great speed boost, moving much more quickly without armor than the OoT/MM incarnations of the warrior. In TP, this level of speed was elevated even further. Not even arrows could touch Darknuts - they would move out of the way at inhuman speeds and strike swiftly. This made the danger of Darknuts much more emphasized... not to mention that multiple speedy Darknuts attacking you is not a fun scenario.

These are the reasons why the Darknut/Iron Knuckle is my favorite enemy in the Zelda series - although they made an appearance in the original LoZ, they were simply defeated by a few stabs in the back. I also hate to mention that the Darknuts in LoZ were also far more difficult because their attacks were insanely powerful and their movements were lightning-quick. I'm not going to get into that, since that is the reason I haven't completed the original NES classic as of yet. :(

Aero_Dynamic

エアロダイナミック
Mine is the Darknut from The Wind Waker and Twilight Princess. They are so tough, that's why I like em! Also, I like Dark Link, even if he isn't an enemy, he still is tough.

Makar

I am the wannabe Kokiri!
Well its not really an enemy (well it is) I loved the Darknuts in WindWaker in Hyrule castle when you can't get out until you kill them all, It was awesome!

Ghosi

Schmetterling
Definitely picking the Darknut, because in TP they have the coolest armor ever.

LozzyKate

Ask Me Why I Love The Photoshops
My favorite enemy has to be the Big Octo from WW. The Big Octo is basically just a giant Octopus that will appear when there are large amount of seagulls around. They'll appear in several different areas across the Great Sea. Depending on where you are, the Big Octos will have a range of four to twelve eyes. Though they're not the most beautiful enemy in the world, they're quite the challenge. When you are sailing above a spot where they are, you'll be sucked into a whirlpool, which you cannot escape from until you beat the Big Octo. The best weapons to fight them with would be your bow and arrows (including the fire, ice, and light arrows), bombs, the boomerang, and the hookshot.

What I love about the Big Octo is that it isn't an enemy you just expect to show up in one spot. They just pop up whenever you near their hiding spot, and I love the little bit of fright that I get when the camera angle changes, the whirlpool appears, and the Big Octo shoots up to the surface. When I first saw the Big Octo, I thought that it was quite disgusting. Not all of the enemies are going to look sweet, innocent, and adorable though. They wouldn’t be enemies if they looked like that.

But I’m getting sidetracked. The Big Octo battle was actually quite enjoyable. That might sound a bit odd, but it how you had to fight the Big Octo and how it was all laid out, was very creative. I specifically love the time limit you had to fight it. If you couldn’t destroy each and every one of its eyes before you reached it, then you got sucked into the center of the whirlpool and shot outside of it and injured by the Big Octo, who then would disappear. This is what makes the Big Octo such a challenge and so much fun to fight.

It’s basically like fighting a current. You can try everything in your power to get out of it, but it’ll seem impossible when you’re stuck. Once you’re in the whirlpool and the Big Octo appears there’s no getting out unless you can fight it, or are willing to get damaged a little bit.

120px-Big_Octo_Figurine_TWW.png

You have to admit though, that the Big Octo does have some appeal to it. It’s colored in with some amount of bright colors. Purple and yellow are pretty happy and cheery colors, so it kind of gives the Big Octo something. I especially like the little curves of at the top of its head. It’s kind of an interesting design. Again, this gives the Big Octo a little more character.

What's particularly nice about the Big Octo, is that there's not so many of them. There a lot of other enemies that I found to be annoying after a while because I saw them so many times. The Big Octo you'll see on rare occasions while you're sailing. It's not like you can perfect sailing over top of the Big Octo's hiding spot whenever you're out on the boat. It kind of makes the Big Octo kind of a rare sea enemy then. :lol:

This is why the Big Octo is my favorite enemy. It's somewhat appealing, challenging, hard to find, and a lot of fun to fight. I just hope that when I play WW again, sometime soon, I can find them easily.

Shnappy

derp
I completely agree with Majora's Cat. Darknuts/Iron Knuckles are definitely the best enemies in the Zelda series. They've appeared throughout many of the games, and in each one they have proved to be a great challenge. And I apologize for the long post. I don't expect you to read the whole odyssey of what I think about these great enemies, so you can just skim along if you feel so obliged.

They first appeared in LoZ, and were either blue or orange. Besides Wizzrobes, perhaps, they were the hardest enemies in the dungeons. There was nothing more fun than strategically working through a room of about 8 Darknuts. Killing an enemy such as a Stalfos or Keese with a simple sword slash gets quite old, so Darknuts added a refreshing new way to defeat an enemy, as they could not be attacked from the front. Sure, they could be really annoying to face when you weren't used to them, but after a while they became a pleasure to see because of how fun it was to strategically kill them, whether it be with the sword or with bombs.

When it came time for us to play AoL, the Darknuts had received a new name, the Iron Knuckle, and in my opinion, a much cooler sounding and appropriate name. Because of AoL's difficulty level, most enemies were not fun to face, such as the persistent Bago-Bago and the powerful Daira's (who, actually, honestly became fun after I was used to them). But either way, the Iron Knuckles provided a fun fight for the second game in a row. They actually had a brain, so they were able to counter your attacks my moving their shield up and down. This provided a good challenge, while not being too frustratingly hard in my opinion. After a couple of dungeons, I figured out the good ol' jump and slash trick against these guys, which made them a quite convenient 50-100 points. The blue ones integrated the whole sword beam thing, which provided a MUCH larger challenge than the oranges and reds, even furthering the already high fun factor of facing these guys.

After an absence from LttP, the Iron Knuckles returned in LA, now again with the name of Darknut. Now, in these games, they weren't quite as much of a challenge compared to what they were in the first two games, but the thing that made them cool was that there were 8 (if I counted right) ways to kill them. Whether it be with the sword, boomerang, hookshot, pegasus boots, you name it, you could kill the Darknut, and it didn't get repetitive and boring to kill them like other enemies were.

Nintendo called them Iron Knuckles again in OoT/MM (boy, they're quite bipolar aren't they?). Like the first two games, the Iron Knuckles were one of the elite enemies in the game, and perhaps the most elite of all in OoT/MM. They don't appear until very late in OoT, and pretty late in MM, and for a good reason. One swing of the axe took away 4 freaking hearts. At that point in the game, that's about 3 hits and you're toast. Because of this, we had to be very careful maneuvering around these brutal powerhouses. We had to fake them out, wait til they slash, and then proceed to bust them apart. They provided a great challenge, and it is quite unfortunate that they only appear in a few limited places. But either way, they were easily one of the most fun enemies to face.

I don't really have much to say about the OoA/OoS. To me, they seemed like slightly more challenging versions of the ones in LA, or at least there was a variation of them that was more challenging. However, they returned in TWW, as Darknuts. The Darknuts in this game were the enemy that you could most easily use the parry attacks on (I think that that's what they were called, the glowing A button attacks). As we progressed through the game, they became red, and then gold, each posing a higher threat, and making them more fun to face. I didn't find them to be as fun as they were in OoT/MM, because with the whole parry attack thing it made it easier to beat them. But they still, once again, proved to be one of the more elite and fun to face enemies in the game.

In TMC, they were almost graphically identical to the ones in TWW, but since they were on completely different platforms, they had a much different experience combatwise, and once again, there were one of the most challenging and elite enemies in the entire game. In TMC you had some freedom as to how you beat them, as you could roll around them and use all kinds of different sword moves learned from scrolls. Bombs also worked on them, more effectively so than they did in LoZ, and was another interesting way to defeat them.

To date, the final game that Darknuts appeared in is TP. The way you killed them was quite reminiscent of TWW, as you had to break of their armor before actually defeating them for good. The Darknuts were quite difficult in these games, but weren't the beasts that they were back in the days of OoT and MM. I haven't played TP in a while and can't remember if they appeared outside of the miniboss in the Temple of Time, but it was still fun to defeat them strategically. Many sword techniques were fun to use against them, such as the mortal draw. And once again, the Darknuts were very intelligent enemies that used their shields very strategically to defend, and thus, were once again, an extremely fun and difficult enemy to kill.

So, throughout the different Zelda games, the Darknuts/Iron Knuckles have proven to be the powerhouse of the series, reappearing again and again so that I can have the joy of carefully annihilating them.

I agree with ya'll, TP darknuts are the coolest. The closer to human they are the more fun it is to fight them cause its more like a real sword fight. Dark Link is just as awesome as TP darknut. I wish TP would have let you fight a dark link though, or maybe they could have had a twilight link with those glowing designs on his body. That would have been something. I kinda like fighting wolfos with wolf link as well.

Djinn

and Tonic
For me it would have to be the Lynel

Lynel_Artwork.png

Something about those guys I have always found interesting. First of all I love the lion centaur design. Although it appears that Nintendo never could decide if the body was that of a horse or lion. Lion would make a bit more sense as they already have the lion heads. Plus the lower body of an apex predator adds to their threat, they are possibly the most fearsome creature to come across in the overworld. On top of that they are swordsmen who also have the same capability to shoot magical energy from a blade as Link. So they are not some dumb beast wondering around and attacking whatever comes near. They are actually an intelligent being capable of using weapons the same as a Hylian. This mix makes them one of the more powerful and overall threatening enemies to exist in Hyrule. I have always wanted to see them made into a tribe of Hyrule and not just some random monster for Link to kill on his journey. Maybe a much more unruly one that might not be allied with the Hylians.

Lynel_ALttP.png

Although ALTTP did help show that the lower body was lion and not horse, I did not like how they were changed from a sword user to a fire breathing monster. Although they were still much smarter than the average enemy by keeping their distance and aiming for Link specifically instead of just spitting fire randomly. The loss of a sword makes them seem a little less civilized.

Plus in the artwork, although I am not sure how well this translates to in game sprites or if the artist took some liberties, they appear to use a very Hellenistic styled tower shield and short sword. This means they might have a very Mediterranean styled society apart from the very western Medieval European society that Hyrule imitates. And that I would love to see, the homeland of the Lynel tribe living as a very classical Greek setting with white columns and statues. Apart from my loving classical Mediterranean look for a group, I always like it when a different culture is shown in a game like that.

They are an interesting species and I do hope that Nintendo does expand on them even a little more. Even the first LoZ and ALTTP established that they have a specific habitat as they can only be found deep in the mountains far away from the more civilized areas of Hyrule. Although living in the mountains might put them at odds with the Gorons, but then again teeth and claws are not too threatening to a species made of rock and can wade around in pools of lava. So they might balance each other out nicely. This could explain just why a species that already had the built in defenses of a large cat would use things like swords and shields as they can be much more useful when fighting Gorons. Ether way, I do hope Nintendo decides to bring them back, they have not made an appearance since the oracles and never has appeared once in a 3D title. I think they would make for an interesting horseback combat sequence if returned. Link on Epona fighting a sword using centauroid enemy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom