• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Most Effective Villain

Most Effective Villain

• Ganon/dorf

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dark Link

• Agahnim

• Majora

• Onox

• Veran

• Vaati

• Zant

• Bellum

• Malladus

• Chancellor Cole

• Twinrova

• Ghirahim

• Other

• Total voters

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I think Ganondorf is the most effective villain, from the cliched "Take over the world" plot he had in OoT to the (play of?) empathy he had for seeing the Gerudo valley suffering. Granted his appearance in TP was kinda...offsetting for his character (he used pawns, but not like THAT before), but he still worked out in the end. Some people were saying that he shouldn't have existed because Zant was doing so well, still others were saying that Zant is the one who shouldn't have been in the story as Zant was the powerless one in the beginning and the end. That doesn't mean the likes of Majora is weak, it's just Majora didn't have any real goal, he/she/it was almost exactly like a baby throwing a tantrum over their toy building being destroyed.

Cuju

私はカウントダウンを実行します。
I say Ghirahim, simply because he looks like such an effective villain from the sparse amount of footage we have seen about him. He doesn't look like the "classic" kidnap the pincess... just because kind of guy. He looks like an extremely complex mind, with a bunch of great personality traits, like cockiness and arrogance. I am really looking forward to playing Skyward Sword, and the debut (and probably finale) of Ghirahim plays a big part in that hype...

It seems like some people have already fell in love with Ghirahim's charatcer! Good job Nintendo, don't screw this up by making him a tool (Zant, I'm talking to you!)

Jedizora

:right:
I'd have to go with Majora. He wants to destroy the world. And he succeds. Can Ganondorf say that? No.

SuperGleeok64

For the Greater Good.
Ganon(dorf)In the first game he could only be defeated by one who had the Triforce (of Wisdom) which ironically had been hidden by Zelda to keep it from him and the pieces were guarded by fierce monsters. So if he had taken some initiative and went to guard one of the shards himself he wouldn't have ever been defeated. In OoT he essentially let Link gather the Spiritual Stones and open the doors to the Sacred Realm (Yay for unforeseen consequences!). And then in TP he used Zant to do (almost) all the work.

I COULD go on a Djinn rant and write a story about why Majora is the best candidate, but i think you know why. Majora gets my vote.

Aelic7

The Young Drifter
This is just my opinion, but I don't think Ghirahim should be on here, mostly because of all the hype about E3 and the revelations of the new story elements. I think this will cause him to be slightly overrated. Don't get me wrong, I think he's going to be a great villain, I just think it's not fair for the other nominees considering all the excitement about Ghirahim.

No I don't. Would you care to elaborate on why Majora is am being the best candidate.

Mostly because of the fact that it was pure evil. Not just crazy, but pure, evil. The worst evil, too, the kind of evil hidden behind the innocence of a mischevious child, turned into a great, vengeful threat when exposed to the power the mask contained. I think the fact that Majora took advantage of a child, (the Skullkid), who wanted nothing more than for people to play with it.

That, is why i think he is the most effective villian. That, and the timed "Game" he played with Link was one Link could not have won. Sure, majora was defeated in the end. But think of all of the timeline splits in Termina where link went back in time, and left the rest of the people to fall beneath the moon. Each time you go back in time, the world is crushed under the moon later in that time period. So no matter what, even if you saved one of these splits in the end. The rest suffered in spite of your heroism. Majora was the most effective villian. He didnt just make everyone suffer. He mafe them suffer everytime Link needed an extra three days to save just one of the worlds.

lol, love how ghirahim has too many votes xD, I mean, come on people, he can be a good option, but we should wait to see him in the game

well, I will vote ganon, you might say he has failed some many times, but he is a mastermind, and he has doing pretty good, there are no zelda villain without ganon

I think majora comes second

I don't know who this Ghirahim guy is, and I'm trying to avoid Skyward Sword spoilers. So I'll ignore him for now.

My vote goes to Ganon, hands down.

I WOULD have said Zant was the most effective villain, story-wise, appearance-wise, intimidation-wise, etc. At first, he gave off that aura of total ruthless control, from the way he storms Hyrule Castle like it's child's play and the way he just gives Zelda her chilling ultimatum: surrender or die. He came off as incredibly confident in his power, and with good reason. That cutscene where he confronts Link and Midna in Lanayru's Spring is proof of what Zant could do; knock Link aside like a doll and manipulate Midna like a puppet, plus the chilling and merciless way he spoke.

That being said, after Ganondorf was introduced to the plot, Zant was kind of ruined, his role as villain tossed aside as a pawn and his impressive character torn down as a deranged madman. Really made me lose all respect for him.

This absolutely and totally sums up how I feel about Zant. It's quite sad, really. I wanted to love him as a villain. His change in mannerism later in the game could have worked, in a Crazy Awesome kind of way, but the way it happened he ended up just being a doofus.

On the other hand, as much as it felt like it was done cheaply in terms of storytelling, the fact that Zant did all that, and was the pathetic toady compared to Ganon, just gives Ganon that much more villain cred.

You can say the same about Aganimh, really: He had already pretty much successfully taken over Hyrule by the time the events of LttP got rolling. By the time Ganon became important, things had already gotten that much harder.

But if that's the metric, then Ganon wins even without being revealed as the man behing Zant's and Aganimh's curtains: He had taken over Hyrule all by himself in the original game. He had kidnapped Zelda and nearly taken her triforce for his own. There was not one single person other than Link who dared venture out into the light of day; everyone else was hiding out in a cave or a dungeon somewhere. That's probably the closest he'd ever been to total victory, with OoT coming in perhaps a close second (but he still didn't have Zelda until near the end). Of course that leads to another question:

That, is why i think he [Majora] is the most effective villian. That, and the timed "Game" he played with Link was one Link could not have won. Sure, majora was defeated in the end. But think of all of the timeline splits in Termina where link went back in time, and left the rest of the people to fall beneath the moon. Each time you go back in time, the world is crushed under the moon later in that time period. So no matter what, even if you saved one of these splits in the end. The rest suffered in spite of your heroism. Majora was the most effective villian. He didnt just make everyone suffer. He mafe them suffer everytime Link needed an extra three days to save just one of the worlds.

Okay, but that only holds true if the Zelda series holds to a multiple-universes view of time travel, which seems not to be the case since OoT is generally held to create at most two timelines, rather than a bunch of slightly varying ones, one for each time Link went back from the adult era to the child era.

Still, if you consider that Link's only way of succeeding was utilizing time travel in a way he's never had to do to defeat Ganon, it's still a good point in favor of Majora's effectiveness.

Indeed, the fact that at the very least, Majora got closer to victory than Ganon ever got is probably why he/she/it's such a popular choice here. But my question is, what kind of victory did Majora (almost) achieve? Basically all it wanted was to screw up as many people's lives as possible. It's easy just to go blow stuff up. Ganon's goals are much harder to achieve: He wants to rule, ergo there must be someone left alive to be ruled, to cower in fear of him, to serve him, to beg him for mercy, or whatever he wants. So I guess it's a question of what it means to be effective, whether there's more to it than just doing a lot of damage.

Also I think Malo should be one of the poll options. ;)

ironknuckle1

Archer Extraordinaire
I would have to say that it is Majora because through its different plans it caused mass terror and hysteria as it sort of planned to. I say sort of because it really had no plan other then to bring terror down onto Termina without any noticeable trail leading towards its next choice.

If I were to choose a runner up it would either be Ganondorf (OOT) of Twinrova (OOX). Ganondorf you could say accomplished what he set out to do but he was ultimately defeated when his lust for more power (that being the entire triforce) caused him to eventually fall and die in his attempt to have this power. Twinrova on the other hand also accomplished what they set out to do and in a very ingenious way. They used Veran and Onox as pawns to allow them to gain what they needed to resurrect their once fallen leader. They also were probably one of the most compelling (I guess that would be the correct adjective) villains in their series due to their choice to sacrifice themselves to light the final torch and finish what they started.

Id Say Majora...He really Knew what e was doing. He had no care for anything.He wanted Power and thats exactly what he went for. he didnt have sympathy on anyone else in the game.
As said be fore He turned link into a scrub took skull kid over brought the moon down and just made a huge mess. and in my opinion thats what a villian should do is cause the hero alot of trouble to slow him down.

Talicor

Bringer of Dragons
Sorry but I have to say Majora as the most effective villain, he's the only villain that has achieved his goal:the worlds destruction. BUT, I am interested in seeing how Debbie/Lord Girahim plays out ;)

Okay, only 1 vote.

Ganon or Dark Link?

Ganon because, well, it's Ganon. He's like The Joker to Link's Batman.

Dark Link because he's a mirror image of Link, therefore knowing Link's moves as well as challenging him in ways any other villain can't.

SinkingBadges

The Quiet Man
Get ready for what could border on a personal rant:

I think Ganondorf (yes, you're reading it right, no beast form here) is the most effective one for me.

I haven't played all the Zeldas, but I've played enough to understand most of the villains in the list, and Ganondorf is (so far) the most complete one. I'll elaborate now:

He's one of the few who showed a human side by having an actual motivation (other than just "ruling everything"). I had already known who Ganondorf was up to Wind Waker (where I think he was at his most effective) so he had an element of familiarity. He had been nothing more than just an armored dark-skinned bad guy at the time, until his story was introduced. It was really affecting to me because of the way I had seen him until then (just as the bad guy). He saw some serious growth as a character after his pre-battle speech at WW, and that made the fight all the more exciting to me. I think that a very strong impression can be left by a villain that the player can relate to, after all, we all have regrets like him. It just makes the fight more involved and personal.

That said, I hope Ganny stays the heck away from Skyward Sword. Anybody who's read my opinions in other threads will know how over-rated/used I think he is outside of WW. And Ghirahim (who I think should NOT be in the poll until he's proved himself) shows a lot of promise, he could even take Ganny's place as my favorite.

There go my five cents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom