• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Most Challenging Dungeon

Big Octo

=^)
Throughout our beloved series, we've seen many dungeons, some fairly simple, others considerably difficult. I've come to mt own conclusion as to what the most difficult dungeon is, the Great Palace from Zelda II: The Adventure of Link. And for many reasons why.

Navigation

For its standard, the Great Palace is a dungeon that is troubling to explore. It all starts with getting to the palace itself, from the infamous Valley of Death.

Valleyofdeath.png

This location is easily the most dangerous area of the Zelda II overworld. With unique terrain, the Valley of Death brings the most dangerous of enemies, as well as difficult action scenes. Link is often required to jump over large pits of lava while avoiding swarms of Moas. When the ground seems level and safe, he is then attacked by a mace-wielding Lizaflos. The two caverns do not make it any easier, as the hold swarms of powerful foes.

Link eventually reach the palace (with most likely only one life left) at the dark of night, undoing the binding force that guards the palace. It doesn't get any easier from here.

As the final dungeon, the Great Palace is obviously no cake walk. Link may find himself walking into numerous dead ends, forcing him to back-track through all the enemies that he carefully tried to avoid. In addition, many invisible holes litter the ground. Some of them are truthfully required to drop down through, proving that finding your way through the palace is no easy feat. Even a map (pictured) barely makes it any easier.

800px-Great_Palace.gif

But it's not just the dungeon itself that makes it difficult, what about the hordes of vicious foes?

Enemies

One of the may methods this dungeon uses to throw off players are the powerful enemies. The player is used to Iron Knuckles and Stalfos, as seen in previous palaces. But the Great Palace introduces new and more sinister enemies. Take, for example, a simple Bot. Even with Level 8 attack, they still require two hits from the sword. But the Bots are only a fraction of this. The truly new foes are the ones that will lead you to your downfall. The devastating Fotail is one of them.

Fotail.png

These beasts prove to be a worthy foe. Often elevated Link from stairs, these monsters launch fireballs at him, at a speeding up rate. They're truly difficult to avoid, and attacking one is barely an easier solution.

Accompanying the Fotail is the sinister Fokka.

Fokka.png

Arguably the strongest enemy in the game, the Fokka are a destructive substitute of Iron Knuckles. Though they may appear the same at first, attacking them yields a deadly surprise: jumping. High. Very high. This makes defeating one a difficult ordeal, as they have a pattern that's almost unstoppable: jump up, strike back down. Avoiding them is Link's best bet, but doing so is not easy.

You've finally made it to the end. What's next?

Bosses

The Great Palace features two deadly foes. The first Link is to encounter is the ghastly Thunderbird.

Thunderbird.jpg

The battle against this mighty beast is truly difficult. Starting the bout requires the use of the Thunder Spell, draining most of Link's magic power. He then must slash the monster on the face without the use of upward or downward thrust. All while avoiding powerful fireballs that only drop faster with each hit to the foe. Once Link finally destroys the beast, he must face the final test: his own shadow, Dark Link.

Darklink1.jpg

Dark Link is very merciless, and proves to be the most difficult fight in the game. Mirroring your attacks, he will be hard to land a hit on, but he can easily take you down. Much skill is required for this deadly fight, but, when Link is victorious, he is rewarded the Triforce of Courage, thus ending the game.

My final thoughts of the Great Palace are simple: it's the most difficult dungeon in the series.

What dungeon was most challenging in your experience?

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
Ah.... I'll just say that the OP here really sums up why I think the Great Palace is the most difficult dungeon too. What's worse is how hard it was just to GET TO IT, let alone beat it once you're inside. Which is the first thing you pointed out. If you'd gathered up all the extra lives you could for the run on the palace, chances are you'd lose most of them just getting there.

MW7

I have to agree with you as well. IMO the only other dungeons that even compare in difficulty to the Great Palace are other dungeons from Zelda 2 and a few from Zelda 1. Some people say that ALTTP is really difficult or that the puzzles in MM are extremely challenging, but IMO they don't even come close to the Great Palace or some of the other AOL dungeons or levels 6 and 9 from LOZ.

The Great Palace demands that you to plan ahead and ration magic and health. The vast majority of dungeons in Zelda games I could enter with virtually no health and be confident that I would get to the end safely. Modern Zelda games you might get stuck for little while, but can that even compare to the fear that the next enemy you see will cause a game over in addition to navigating the monstrosity that is the Great Palace? When it comes to the Great Palace, I have to make sure I have collected all the heart containers and magic containers as well as stockpiled all the extra lives in the overworld in order to believe that I have about a ten percent chance of successfully beating it, assuming I don't take a wrong turn.

While i also think the hardest Dungeon in the entire series is the Great Palace, I can help but try to include on of the 3D games. So the most challenging dungeon in the 2D games for me were Great Palace & the most challenging for 3D games is the Sky Temple from Twilight Princess. The Sky Temple was a completely different element to the Zelda game, which means I had NO FREAKIN IDEA what to do the first time around. Heck I still don't completely remember how to complete it all. I was about to say the Ice tower temple thingy in the Goron Village in Majora's Mask, but I would consider it the most frustrating because the objective was simple: climb to the tower. The hard part was trying to make that jump once you're at the top.

The most challenging for me is the water temple from OoT.
what makes it so challenging is having to change the height of the water so you can get further through the temple.
Also finding the keys is tough for me.

bubblecrash

Oh no its back
the stone tower temple hates me i think. i always run out of time in there :(
besides that is OoT shadow temple with no lens of truth. its doable, but its pretty much next to impossible unless you have the whole place memorized

i say its the great palace in Zelda 2, but i did beat it :) and i still loved the game very much, many people dont like the game because its difficult but i loved the challenge, may be one of the best games in my opinion

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom