• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Mormon AMA/Discussion

thegreenrobby

#1 Producer of Mind Screw
Ok, I haven't seen a thread for this, but if there is one, please redirect me to it.

Anyways, I'm very well sure most of you have heard about Mormons (or LDS as they are also known as). However, from my experience, many people are uneducated on Mormon practices and beliefs.
Anyways, this is a thread devoted to the discussion of Mormonism. I am a member of the church (and have been for all of my short time on this earth) and will be glad to answer any questions or clear up any misconceptions involving the subject.

The Joker

<span style="text-shadow:2px 2px 4px Purpl
A serious cartoon on the Mormon belief system:

[video=youtube;0a3eJC3qAFU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0a3eJC3qAFU[/video]

History of the Mormon prophet (Comical):

[video=youtube;06jF1EG8o-Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06jF1EG8o-Q[/video]

In my opinion, Mormonism is a religion founded in deception, self-idolatry, and racism.

Last edited:
I am not going to pretend that I am well-informed on the subject of Mormonism, as I am not, but I've heard a lot of the same opinions to which Lazarusryu subscribes. That's not to say that I subscribe to those claims, however.

thegreenrobby

Are you sure you're in the right place? I think you meant to post here >> r/mormon. ;)
There's a reddit section devoted to this? Man, there's a reddit section devoted to EVERYTHING!
A serious cartoon on the Mormon belief system:

[video=youtube;0a3eJC3qAFU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0a3eJC3qAFU[/video]
What the heck did I just watch?
I'm not sure where someone got these ideas, they're almost entirely wrong. (The best lies always seem to have a semi-truthful origin)
No, Joseph Smith wasn't a treasure hunter. He was a young man (13, I think) when he prayed to God when he was confused about which church to join, when God told him that none of the currently available churches of the world were right. Some had truthful teachings, but none of them were 100% purely true.
No, Joseph Smith does not see his work above the work of our Savior.
No, the neutrality in the battle was not the cause of black skin. (Actually, to my knowledge, there were no neutrals, but I could be wrong)
The only two truths I could pick out there were the events of the spiritual war (without the black punishment for being neutral or the Mormon reward for being a loyal fighter, those aren't true) and the fact that Jesus came to the Americas to teach the natives.

The Joker

I'm not sure where someone got these ideas, they're almost entirely wrong. (The best lies always seem to have a semi-truthful origin)
Same could be said about every religion.

He was a young man (13, I think) when he prayed to God when he was confused about which church to join, when God told him that none of the currently available churches of the world were right. Some had truthful teachings, but none of them were 100% purely true.
"The Smith family supplemented its meager farm income by treasure-digging."

Referenced:

Brooke, John L., The Refiner's Fire: The Making of Mormon Cosmology, 1644–1844

Quinn, D. Michael, Early Mormonism and the Magic World View

Bushman, Richard Lyman, Joseph Smith: Rough Stone Rolling

Persuitte, David, Joseph Smith and the origins of the Book of Mormon

No, Joseph Smith does not see his work above the work of our Savior.
Straight from the horse's mouth:

"God is in the still small voice. In all these affidavits, indictments, it is all of the devil--all corruption. Come on! ye prosecutors! ye false swearers! All hell, boil over! Ye burning mountains, roll down your lava! for I will come out on the top at last. I have more to boast of than ever any man had. I am the only man that has ever been able to keep a whole church together since the days of Adam. A large majority of the whole have stood by me. Neither Paul, John, Peter, nor Jesus ever did it. I boast that no man ever did such a work as I!"

- Joseph Smith (The Mormon Prophet)

Source - (History of the Church, vol. 6, p. 408-409)

No, the neutrality in the battle was not the cause of black skin. (Actually, to my knowledge, there were no neutrals, but I could be wrong)
Well, you're right about there being no neutrals. As it turns out, they're black because they sided with the devil:

"According to the doctrine of the church, the negro because of some condition of unfaithfulness in the spirit — or pre-existence, was not valiant and hence was not denied the mortal probation, but was denied the blessing of the priesthood."

"There is a reason why one man is born black and with other disadvantages, while another is born white with great advantages. The reason is that we once had an estate before we came here, and were obedient; more or less, to the laws that were given us there. Those who were faithful in all things there [pre-existence] received greater blessings here, and those who were not faithful received less. . . . There were no neutrals in the war in Heaven. All took sides either with Christ or with Satan. Every man had his agency there, and men receive rewards here based upon their actions there, just as they will receive rewards hereafter for deeds done in the body. The Negro, evidently, is receiving the reward he merits"

- Apostle Joseph Fielding Smith

"But let them apostatize, and they will become gray-haired, wrinkled, and black, just like the Devil"

- Brigham Young (Journal of Discourses, vol. 5, p. 332)

Mormonism IS founded in racism and even the scriptures prove it:

"And Enoch also beheld ...the sons of Adam; and they were a mixture of all the seed of Adam save it were the seed of Cain, for the seed of Cain were black, and had not a place among them."

- Moses 7:22

"Shall I tell you the law of God in regard to the African race? If the white man who belongs to the chosen seed mixes his blood with the seed of Cain, the penalty, under the law of God, is death on the spot. This will always be" (ibid., 10:110)

For more: http://crcmin.org/article_pages/racism_in_mormon_scriptures.html

Lotta hate for black people there.

And on a side note, I cannot deside what's worse; being black because your people did not fight in the spirital war or being black because your people sided with the devil. Neither seems good.

The only two truths I could pick out there were the events of the spiritual war (without the black punishment for being neutral or the Mormon reward for being a loyal fighter, those aren't true)
I guess I'll just re-post this quote again since it's in relation to it:

"There is a reason why one man is born black and with other disadvantages, while another is born white with great advantages. The reason is that we once had an estate before we came here, and were obedient; more or less, to the laws that were given us there. Those who were faithful in all things there [pre-existence] received greater blessings here, and those who were not faithful received less. . . . There were no neutrals in the war in Heaven. All took sides either with Christ or with Satan. Every man had his agency there, and men receive rewards here based upon their actions there, just as they will receive rewards hereafter for deeds done in the body. The Negro, evidently, is receiving the reward he merits"

- Joseph Fielding Smith (Doctrines of Salvation, 1:61, 65-66)

Just some advice for the future, next time you want to go to a forum claiming to be the answer giver in all things mormon, study your own faith first and try to at least list your sources so that it doesn't look like you're making things up as you go along. That goes for anyone who claims to be a particular religion.

Last edited:

Batman

Not all those who wander are lost...
I have a very negative opinion of Mormonism. In my opinion, Mormonism is an evil philosophy rooted in superstition and lies. Its founder has a detailed historical record proving him to be a sociopathic conman who cared only for himself. Smith’s lies got him a cult following and over time it turned into a full religion that thrives to this day. I have close ex-Mormon friends and Mormon friends, so I’ve seen firsthand what this religion practices, teaches, and promotes, and I am 100% against it. Its philosophy is immoral, its doctrine is based on poorly fabricated lies, and its sub-culture is harmful to its constituents.

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
Honestly, Momonism... confuses me.

Ok so I need to divulge a bit of my personal life story before I go any further, so STORY TIME GATHER AROUND SIR Q!

I originally am from Utah. Born and lived there til I was around 8, then moved to Oklahoma. I still remember a lot about the state, save for Momonism itself. My brother was turning 10 and from what I recall that's around the age where they start pushing Mormonism more heavily onto its youth, so he was asking a lot of questions. Being a Christian family, my dad realized that he didn't want us kids growing up ostracised due to our worldview so, along with better job opportunities in OK, we moved. I wasn't too thrilled leaving all my friends behind, especially once summer came around and I thought someone opened up the firey pits of hell, wanted to move to Alaska... but anyway.

Once I was older I looked into LDS and... yeah still don't know what to make of it. Lot of peculiar beliefs, particularly the bits where we can apparently get on the same level as Christ Himself and how seemingly everything's centered around the Americas for some reason (if my cursory Wikipedia browsing is anything to go by, not that it's a great source to begin with...)

And yet... by golly they are the most faithful and downright pleasant people to be around. On a universal level. Every single Mormon I've met in my life has shown a deep and genuine love and hospitality for others and for their families.

So yeah... I'm befuddled by Mormonism.

thegreenrobby

I have a very negative opinion of Mormonism. In my opinion, Mormonism is an evil philosophy rooted in superstition and lies. Its founder has a detailed historical record proving him to be a sociopathic conman who cared only for himself. Smith’s lies got him a cult following and over time it turned into a full religion that thrives to this day. I have close ex-Mormon friends and Mormon friends, so I’ve seen firsthand what this religion practices, teaches, and promotes, and I am 100% against it. Its philosophy is immoral, its doctrine is based on poorly fabricated lies, and its sub-culture is harmful to its constituents.
Care to go into detail as to what in Mormonism is against your views?

Luke's Wife

peaked in 2015
[video=youtube;46PXaJxzuDE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46PXaJxzuDE[/video]
this is all i know about mormonism
looks funky fresh to me :cool:

BREAK IT DOWN, ROMNEY

Last edited:

The Joker

Care to go into detail as to what in Mormonism is against your views?
Dude, Mormanism has black people being cursed and inherently evil and you're asking that question?

Also, Joseph Smith was the L. Ron Hubbard of his era. He started a religion, conned people into giving him money, and the later tried to pick up the wives of his followers (Journal of Alexander Neibaur, May 24, 1844).

He didn't die well either. He was under arrest for Treason, managed to get a weapon in jail and was shot to death as he fired off all six rounds into a group of people (Brodie (Page 393) ("Joseph discharging all six barrels down the passageway. Three of them missed fire, but the other three found marks.") and Bushman (Page 549).

Last edited:

MonsterMMORPG

Indie Game Developer
Mormonism is yet another belief system completely or almost completely made up by human imagination for many reasons but not a good one

Dude, Mormanism has black people being cursed and inherently evil and you're asking that question?

Also, Joseph Smith was the L. Ron Hubbard of his era. He started a religion, conned people into giving him money, and the later tried to pick up the wives of his followers (Journal of Alexander Neibaur, May 24, 1844).

He didn't die well either. He was under arrest for Treason, managed to get a weapon in jail and was shot to death as he fired off all six rounds into a group of people (Brodie (Page 393) ("Joseph discharging all six barrels down the passageway. Three of them missed fire, but the other three found marks.") and Bushman (Page 549).
very well and sufficient answer. I myself also can not accept something that discriminates people based on their skin color

Almighty Allah says that all people are equal

Read this spoiler

ne basic element in the value system of Islam is the principle of equality or, better yet, equity. This value of equality is not to be mistaken for or confused with identicalness or stereotype. Islam teaches that, in the sight of God, all men are equal, but they are not necessarily identical. There are differences of abilities, potentials, ambitions, wealth and so on. Yet none of these differences can by itself establish a status of superiority of one man or race to another. The stock of man, the color of his skin, the amount of wealth he has, and the degree of prestige he enjoys have no bearing on the character and personality of the individual as far as God is concerned. The only distinction which God recognizes is the distinction in piety, and the only criterion which God applies is the criterion of goodness and spiritual excellence. In the Qur’an, God says:

O mankind, verily We have created you from a single (Pair) of a male and a female, and have made you into nations and tribes, that you may know each other. Verily the most honored of you in the sight of God is the most righteous (49:13).

The difference of race, color, or social status are only accidental. They do not affect the true stature of man in the sight of God. Again, the value of equality is not simply a matter of constitutional rights or gentlemen’s agreement or condescending charity. It is an article of faith which the Muslim takes seriously and to which he must adhere sincerely. The foundations of this Islamic value of equality are deeply rooted in the structure of Islam. It stems from basic principles such as the following: (1) All men are created by One and the Same Eternal God, the Supreme Lord of all. (2) All mankind belong to the human race and share equally in the common parentage of Adam and Eve. (3) God is just and kind to all his creatures. He is not partial to any race, age, or religion. The whole universe is His dominion and all people are His creatures. (4) All people are born equal in the sense that none brings any possession with him, and they die equal in the sense that none brings any possession with him, and they die equal in the sense that they take back nothing of their worldly belongings. (5) God judges every person on the basis of his own merits and according to his own deeds. (6) God has conferred on man, man as such, a title of honor and dignity.

Such are some of the principles behind the value of equality in Islam. When this concept is fully utilized, it will leave no place for prejudice or persecutions. And when this Divine ordinance is fully implemented, there will be no room for oppression or suppression. Concepts of chosen and gentile peoples, words such as privileged and condemned races, expressions such as social castes and second – class citizens will all become meaningless and obsolete.

http://www.islamanswering.com/subpage.php?s=article&aid=1403

27ジョーカーソン

LOVE AND PEACE
Ok lazarusryu you should probably check your sources because I don't believe those are official Mormon doctrine. Also, I can't believe how incredibly disrespectful you're being, based off of some video made by baptists with the intent of turning people against the church. Those were made as

Propaganda against the church. I've been in the church my whole life and not ONCE have I heard most of those things. A lot of people dislike the church and want to harm it, so they create fake quotes, books, or anything to make people believe false about the church. So check your sources then come back with crap about the church that is true. We very strongly believe in equality and not racism. There are many black members of the church. And also, the church hasn't practiced polygamy in years so don't even.

Last edited:

Raindrop14

Soldier for Christ!
(#mini-modding) This is a thread for Mormon discussion, yes, but you guys could be a little more respectful to someone who has a strong faith in this than "Mormonism sucks, their all idiots". Express your opinions, but do it tactfully please. ;)

As for me, I have no questions about Mormonism. All I have to say is I agree with Sir Q in that all the Mormons I've met have been very hospitable and friendly, and they have a very strong faith. =)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom