• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Tech Help More Tech Help Needed

Batman

Not all those who wander are lost...
Hey guys, it's me once again. I have another tech related question (I can't catch a break these days). Any help would be appreciated.

So, I just upgraded from my old Gateway laptop to an iMac (I really love the aquarium design on these things, btw). Anyway, I really love it so far, especially the colorwheel that is pretty much permanetly on my screen; nice touch by Apple. However, I was wondering why it's not working when I try to install the old software I had on my Gateway onto the new iMac. I checked to see if the disks were scratched, but they're fine.

So far I've tried turning the computer on and off, double-clicking on the icon on the desktop (I would right-click but my mouse only has one button), and even downloading more ram. None of this has helped so far. Do you think it might be virus related? I noticed that all my programs have an "i" prefix, I've heard that viruses sometimes change filenames. If not, could it be a problem with my new modem (finally upgraded to a 56k!)? It does make weird noises whenever I go online. Any help on this would be appreciated.

Here's the specs, in case that's necessary:

CPU: 350 MHz PowerPC 750 (G3)
RAM: 64 MB RAM
GPU: ATI Rage 128 VR 2D/3D video with 8 MB of VRAM
15" built-in display at 800x600
6 GB Ultra ATA harddrive
24X CD Optical Drive

And a 56K Modem

PS: I was thinking of installing OS X 10, do you think that would help?

Kybyrian

Batman said:
Anyway, I really love it so far, especially the colorwheel that is pretty much permanetly on my screen; nice touch by Apple.

It's possible that your computer has been possessed by an otherworldly being. Mac OS's prior to OS X didn't have the pinwheel, only an hourglass.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
An obvious but poor shot at Apple and Macintosh computers.

Firstly, if you've ever used a Mac (I'm going to take a shot in the dark and say you either haven't, or have only briefly used one at your friends house or at Futureshop), you'd know that the colorwheel issue is not nearly as bad as it's made out to be. Also, you can't always right click but the control key (I think) imitates the right click and on some Macs you can right click on the right side of your button.

Finally, the specs of the iMac are actually quite good so I don't know what you're getting at with that end bit.

Batman

Not all those who wander are lost...
An obvious but poor shot at Apple and Macintosh computers.

Firstly, if you've ever used a Mac (I'm going to take a shot in the dark and say you either haven't, or have only briefly used one at your friends house or at Futureshop), you'd know that the colorwheel issue is not nearly as bad as it's made out to be. Also, you can't always right click but the control key (I think) imitates the right click and on some Macs you can right click on the right side of your button.

Finally, the specs of the iMac are actually quite good so I don't know what you're getting at with that end bit.

First of all, saying that you're having trouble using a computer does not mean that you hate that computer. That's preschool reasoning and I cannot fathom how you came to that conclusion. Second of all, I absolutely love my iMac and it's a large improvement over my Gateway (a PC using Windows 3.1 that I discussed in detail in a previous tech help thread). I'm new to Apple computers so forgive me that it takes me a bit to get used to the new hardware and software. Like I said in the OP, I thought the colorwheel was a neat touch. I like a lot of things about this iMac and I've gotten used to it now. The OP was meant to get some advice about why I couldn't port my old stuff onto the Mac, as well as a brief and innocent discussion about some of the features that I was getting used to.

Finally, what I got was one of the first iMacs off Ebay so that's why the specs aren't as good as modern era iMacs.

Your antagonistic tone kind of threw me for a loop, so please forgive my own. Just be nice :)

Last edited:

Kybyrian

Batman said:
Like I said in the OP, I thought the colorwheel was a neat touch.

Batman said:
PS: I was thinking of installing OS X 10, do you think that would help?

Kybyrian said:
Mac OS's prior to OS X didn't have the pinwheel, only an hourglass.

still can't have the color wheel since you "don't have OS X"

Big Octo

=^)
Maybe Bonzi Buddy can help with your problem.
188232_f260.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom