• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

MORE Races?

Zelda-Rocks

The King of all Rocks
Why did they add MORE races to Skyward Sword. We already have(most of this is copied from the wiki): Gorons, Zoras, Hylians, Deku, Demon Tribe, Sheikah, Oocca, Yeti, Twili, Gerudo, Kokiri, Minish and Anouki. So why did they add more?

Nice job using the Wiki. You make Locke proud.

The reason the developers added more reasons was to add more variety to the mix naturally. The more, the merrier. Also, the Kikwi, Mogma, Parella, and Ancient Robots were some of the most fleshed out in franchise history. The Kikwi and Ancient Robots have especially become favorites of mine. The always afraid Machi and Skipper showing of his macho stache to the ladies.

Last edited:
As A_LINK_IN_TIME said, to add variety. Also, Skyward Sword is set long before any other game on the timeline, so it's only naturally for its races to differ - for the most part - from those of other Zelda games.

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
ZD Champion
Administrator
I quite liked the new races in Skyward Sword. They did it for variety (as others have said) and to make Skyward Sword different from the other games. Since all the games are at different spots on the timeline they won't all have exactly the same races.

Djinn

and Tonic
Well each new sequel normally has an all new race added to it for story purposes. Most often they are central figures for the main story or at least have some major aspect behind the plot. Wind Waker gave us the Rito and Koroks who were important to the overall story for characters that can more easily travel around the great sea without a boat so Link can meet up with the more often. PH brought in the cobble who built most of the old monuments and crafted the sword Link used to stop Bellum. Spirit Tracks introduced the Lokomo who were important to the story as the ones who originally sealed Malladus and were helping Link on his quest. MC introduced the Picori who were central to the story as the main villain, and the main helper were both Picori. TP brought in the Twili again as the main race of the main antagonist and the sidekick. They were also central to the story of the game.

There is always at least one new race invented for every new game in the series. Even FSA gave us the Zuna who were the builders of the pyramid. Beyond the main story aspect of the new races there is at least one other side race added to most of the new games that might not be central to the story but are the people of some extreme region. Be that weather, sky, mountain, fire, ice, etc. But we have gotten people like the Anouki for icy regions, Zuna for deserts, Parella for water, Kikwi for forests, Oocca for the sky, etc. There is a lot of overlap with there not being a couple races for each geographical region but it is clear that the developers like to make up new ones all the time.

SNOlink

I'm baack. Who missed me?
First off, they really aren't "new" races. They are previous forms (or at least most of them) of existing races like the Parella are pre-Zora.

Second, I see nothing wrong at all with adding new races. I feel that it adds more to the series, personally.

HyruleLove

Twilight Princess
I love that they added more races! I loved the Kikwis! They were soo very adorable! I was kinda sad to see there were only a couple of Gorons, I really love them and expected to see more of them in SS. But i`ll just be happy with the Kikwis <3

TheRationalDove

Red Hair Wonder
I think the different races makes the land of Hyrule more vibrant and realistic. There are many different ethnic groups and cultures throughout human history, so why shouldn't there be just as much variety in the Zelda series?

First off, they really aren't "new" races. They are previous forms (or at least most of them) of existing races like the Parella are pre-Zora.

Second, I see nothing wrong at all with adding new races. I feel that it adds more to the series, personally.

Was that ever confirmed? I'm pretty sure that's more fan speculation than actual canon information.

The Parella are the only race confirmed to be an ancestor of another. The Goron appear exactly as they do in other games but are of a more nomadic nature in Skyward Sword. All the others-Ancient Robots, Kikwi, and Mogma are new races.

Interesting, it must've been explained in Hyrule Historia or something. The Zoras have certainly gone through a lot starting as octopus-like creatures, moving on to land fish, and finally becoming birds.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Simply because they could add them. They can explain their non appearances in other games due to evolution or extinction. Besides Kikwis are cute except Bucha who is a d**k who I'm sure is feigning memory loss to get you to do things for him. Mogma's are pretty cool and the Parella are a mix of cute and cool. So there we go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom