• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda More Humor in Zelda?

balloonofwar4

The Mystical Man-Fairy
No, I'm not talking about stupid funny like Doh-Doh's High Dive, I mean hilarity. Maybe some well worded adult reference that younger children wouldn't get or think to ask their parents about. I think Zelda needs more funny moments.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
You mean more innuendos? Yeah I'd love to see stuff like that, but keep in mind that that kind of stuff doesn't fly with modern Nintendo...

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
I don't think Zelda needs humor, but it's refreshing to see a few jokes cracked here and there. Whether they choose to make the next title more humorous or not is up to the franchise, but I can't say I wouldn't mind it too much.

Dan

No, I'm not talking about stupid funny like Doh-Doh's High Dive, I mean hilarity. Maybe some well worded adult reference that younger children wouldn't get or think to ask their parents about. I think Zelda needs more funny moments.

I think Nintendo did that and went a little overkill with it.... ya know...
Ghirahim.png

Humor has it's place in Zelda, but there are plenty of better ways to make the games funny than raunchy adult humor.

Toon Link in Wind Waker, for example, had a number of funny moments that serve as a good example of how humor should be used in Zelda. I particularity like the scene where he freaks out at Tetra's plan to launch him into the Forsaken Fortress with a catapult. His shocked expression, the way he squirms in the barrel as Tetra look's on and his final scream as he's launched through the air only to land splat against a stone wall, all mixed together to create a charming comedic scene.

Zelda in general has no shortage of humorous characters and clever dialogue. I personalty thought Groose's portrayal as a pompous lovesick goof in Skyward Sword was a riot. I think this kind of humor, based off outlandish personalities and situation comedy, is a far more effective way to integrate humor into the series than jokes.

Also, somehow I don't think Ghirahim's appearance and behavior in Skyward Sword was meant to be humorous. If anything, he was meant to freak people out who couldn't handle how fabulous he was.

Last edited:

The Jade Fist

Kung Fu Master
I think Nintendo did that and went a little overkill with it.... ya know...
Ghirahim.png

That tongue makes you think bad things.

---------------

Also innuendos like Link being afraid of getting it on with a fish babe? Or was it his fear of commitment?

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
Yeah, sure, why not? Too many games these days are just dreary mope-fests with too many of the real-world problems shoved into a medium I go to for entertainment (mostly) so having humor is a great way to enthrall the player.

I personally agree with Yeti's sentiment that humor based on outlandish personalities and situational comedy is much better for the series than adult or raunchy jokes. Don't get me wrong, going back to SS I like experiencing Ghirahim's faaaaaaabulous mannerisms, but the first time through he just weirded me out (at least until he kidnapped Zelda at the end, then he just became terrifying).

Also, while my sentiment that more humor in Zelda is a generally good thing, I don't want it to blot out the series' more serious and heart-rending moments either. If it weren't for the dark undertone of sailing across a ruined world in WW and experiencing the King's and Ganondorf's terrible past, the stupid slapstick humor strewn throughout the game might have been too much for me. (sorry if that's a bit off-topic)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom