• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

More Characterization in Zelda.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I agree comple- wait. You mean like, more sidequests that involve interacting with the NPC's on a deeper level than just "I'll go get all your chickens for you.", right? If that's what you were talking about, then I've BEEN there, and still am there. "There" being that particular thought you were talking about. Either way, I'm with you on this.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
Yes, I'd like to see more characterization, especially after being among the "dead" NPCs in TP's Castle Town but also being affected by other personalities such as Midna and Colin. It's essential to me that the characters have life about them, expressing more of that than any previous title because SS will be about the time just after Hyrule's creation, to my understanding, and I want it to be special.

Blazestarre

*Insert title here*
I would like to see NPCs react more to what's going on around them. It's extremely unlikely to have each person with a fleshed out personality, but some unique reactions to events would add some life to the world. Since I'm sure this game won't be packed with sidequests like MM was, I doubt we'll see the same extent of characterization reaching out to all NPCs. But quantity doesn't equal quality. What would probably be ideal would be to have three tiers of NPCs: NPCs relevant to the plot and therefore have the most fleshed out personality, NPCs connected with sidequests and so are given some kind of background, and extra NPCs who are there more to set the mood and to react to what's going on.

disturbed42

I will win....eventually!
Yes, please, more characterization. We need more fleshed-out characters in Zelda. MM had a lot, since there were a bajillion sidequests. TP was pretty good with that too, since the main focus of that game was the story (although Castle Town nearly killed me as well; hardly any of the people there had anything to say). Characters should have more than one line.
Also, when there's a drastic change in Link's appearance, people should react differently. I'm not going to count Wolf Link as one, because of course it's common sense to have people run away from a wolf. Here's an example: In OoT, when you're young Link, there's always a guard in the section between Hyrule Castle's gate and the Castle Town. Whenever I talked to him he usually said, "Welcome to Hyrule Castle!" (or something like that; I don't specifically remember). But when I put on the bunny hood and talked to him again, he was like, "....That's an unusual mask." Now that seems like something minor, and it is, but I won't forget that because I was like, "Woah! This person actually had something different and relevant to say to me this time!" I liked that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom