• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Monster Hunter Tri

Austin

Austin
This is one of my favorite games. This game is unique compared to the other RPGS. One of the first thins that makes it unique is the there are no experience points. You don't level up your character, etc. However, you are able to get stronger and better by collecting items. As you may guess, you collect these items through hunting mosnters (thus the name). For example, you there is a monster known as the Great Jaggi. If you kill enough Great Jaggi's and Jaggi/Jagia, you will collect a lot of Jaggi Items. Using these items you can forge the Jaggi Armor set. This will increase your defense a lot more then the default armor sets. Similarly, the same can be applied to weapons.

The reason I like this because it gives a new challenge on making your character stronger. Unlike most games, you need to do more then kill baddies for experience points. While I'm on it, I also want to note that when you hunt monsters, there are sort of side quests. For example, when fighting the great jaggi, you may need to attack his head a lot. This will cause his head to break, and you can get access to specific items only available from the head being broken. Also, some items are more rarer then others. For example plate are a lot more rare then scales.

Another thing you will see when hunting monsters, and a big reason I love it, are the different personalities. You may hunt 3 great jaggi's and all 3 may have totally different personality, and sizes. Yes, monsters have different sizes and personalities among the same species. This will allow each great jaggi fight to be unique. Picking up on these different personality traits will add a ton to your experience fighting. For example, fighting the great jaggi for the first time can be very difficult. However, after killing it 3-4 times it becomes incredible easy! As you progress through the game each monster new monster gets new personality traits and more dangerous attacks. This is where keeping track of specific abilities of armor sets comes in handy.

On a side note, it takes a while to learn and master the games mechanics. This brings a whole new level of fun! Once you learn it and get a good grasp, you feel very proud of yourself and become excellent hunter! My favorite site is Monster Hunter Tri Wiki. This is a MH3 hunter's favorite site! All information on various monsters and items are on that wiki.

For my final paragraph, I want to mention this is a long game! From a combination of offline and online, I have over a 100 hours and I've barely scratched the online surface. I've completed the offline mode, but online I have barely started. Online is similar to offline except: You hunt with multiple people. The monsters are a lot harder and stronger (they are so much stronger, that an easy offline monster is nearly impossible online, a lone). You get more and different items. Like the previously, this leads to new stronger and better weapons/armor. Special events for special items and monsters. In general, online is just a more enhanced version.

I would totally recommend this game to anyone! You should buy it, and when I get some free time, we can go online and I can teach you some specific stuff! Also feel free to ask any questions you wish.

Sasuke Uchiha

The Crimson Alchemist
I'm now HR 56 and I mainly use a Dark Sword Demise or Barbarian Blade Sharq (3rd Legendary Sword). My code is GNET5F.

This game looks interesting. I have been pondering if I should or should not buy this game. I've read the other posts here and they have been pretty informative. But I still have some questions that really need to be answered. Can someone please help me with them? Because I really want to be sure I am going to buy a game that I will play for a long time, and not one that I will leave untouched. Here are my questions:

-When you are battling monsters, as far as I'm concerned, there is no targeting system. So, do your attacks auto-focus, or when a monster moves you end up slicing in the air instead? Does it feel comfortable to fight enemies this way?
-What special moves do your hunter have? Can you back-slice opponents or use special moves ala helm splitter (TP)?
-Do you have to grind a lot to find items from monsters and level up? Because I really despise constant grinding.
-Does the game can feel repetitive at times? Or does it offer enough variety to feel compelled to play for long periods of time without becoming a chore?
-Can you carry various weapons at a time and change them by entering the menu (just like in Zelda games you have various swords and you can change them by choosing them in the inventory menu)?
-What kind of auxiliary items can you use to battle monsters besides you basic weaponry?
-Can you carry any healing items as well?
-I've seen a yellow bar on some gameplay footage, and that this bar decreases when you run. Exactly what's the purpose of this gauge?
-If you're killed in combat, are there any checkpoints, or are you force to repeat everything again from scratch?
-Does the controls feel comfortable?

Please help me answering this questions, I'm really interested in this game, but I really need to be sure I'm going to spend my time buying something that I will find fun to play. Any feedback is welcomed! :)

Sasuke Uchiha

The Crimson Alchemist
-No, they don't AutoFocus, but you'll get used to them quick, so quick, when my friends watched me they thought the camera was fixed. xD
-Every Weapon except Bowguns have alternate combos. The only real "Special Moves" are as I call them, "Ultimate Grind" (Switch Axe), "Ultimate Slice" (Long Sword) and "Ground Break" (Giant Sword). They do incredible damage, and the long sword move will x5 your attack.
-The beginning is repetitive, and if you can't play online, this game isn't the best game ever, but you do, it is!!
-No, you can't. >_<
-Their are THOUSANDS of alternate weapons that you do carry with you everywhere. And not just weapons. Health, upgrades, everything, etc.
-Yes, you can. YOU HAVE TO!!
-It's your stamina. You have to eat pretty constantly unless you want it to deplete and your ability to run and dodge to leave as well.
You can die three times per quest. You fail and lose all of your used items if you die thrice. But you can quit at anytime and lose NOTHING!! The bad thing is, if your playing online (where new quests are added weekly so the hunt never ends!!) and some noob dies thrice. You all die. Or if someone dies twice and you die once, you die. Three deaths per team is the online rule.
-And yes, the controls are very comfortable.
This is by far the best game I've played. It would be a mistake not to buy it.
Also, I'm now HR 58 and wield Dark Claw Demise along with other ultimate weps. I'm almost ultimate hunter rank!! Also, my title is "LORD OF THE ABYSS," the ULTIMATE title. (you have to kill 30 Ceadeus to get it)

-No, they don't AutoFocus, but you'll get used to them quick, so quick, when my friends watched me they thought the camera was fixed. xD
-Every Weapon except Bowguns have alternate combos. The only real "Special Moves" are as I call them, "Ultimate Grind" (Switch Axe), "Ultimate Slice" (Long Sword) and "Ground Break" (Giant Sword). They do incredible damage, and the long sword move will x5 your attack.
-The beginning is repetitive, and if you can't play online, this game isn't the best game ever, but you do, it is!!
-No, you can't. >_<
-Their are THOUSANDS of alternate weapons that you do carry with you everywhere. And not just weapons. Health, upgrades, everything, etc.
-Yes, you can. YOU HAVE TO!!
-It's your stamina. You have to eat pretty constantly unless you want it to deplete and your ability to run and dodge to leave as well.
You can die three times per quest. You fail and lose all of your used items if you die thrice. But you can quit at anytime and lose NOTHING!! The bad thing is, if your playing online (where new quests are added weekly so the hunt never ends!!) and some noob dies thrice. You all die. Or if someone dies twice and you die once, you die. Three deaths per team is the online rule.
-And yes, the controls are very comfortable.
This is by far the best game I've played. It would be a mistake not to buy it.
Also, I'm now HR 58 and wield Dark Claw Demise along with other ultimate weps. I'm almost ultimate hunter rank!! Also, my title is "LORD OF THE ABYSS," the ULTIMATE title. (you have to kill 30 Ceadeus to get it)

Regarding the repetitiveness of the game... the single player campaign takes at least 30 hours from what i've read, and I like to play by myself most of the time. I wan't to know if this game is still fun like this. Or is it like those FPS that are only fun because of their online multiplayer? Also, do you have to eat constantly? because that sounds like a chore to me. And thanks a lot for your answers! :D

Last edited:

Sasuke Uchiha

The Crimson Alchemist
The game is fun even without online, but without online, it is just another Wii game and gets boring after you beat it.

The game is fun even without online, but without online, it is just another Wii game and gets boring after you beat it.

I get it. About its difficulty... can it become really frustrating. Because, I have to be honest, I'm not that good for playing very hard games, so i wan't to know if it isn't that frustrating as some players say it is.

Austin

Austin
I bought this in August, played it for about ten minutes, put it away and forgot about it until about a week ago. I feel pretty stupid now. Even now I've only put a few hours into it, but I plan to play it a lot more. It's pretty entertaining, I especially like the atmosphere and the sheer amount of things you can do. I've only played around with a few features but there seems to be a lot more I can accomplish. I'm still getting the hang of the gameplay mechanics but the difficulty seems pretty easy at the beginning, at least.

My only issue with the game is the map; either you have it taking up nearly half the screen or you do without it. That in and of itself wouldn't be too much of an issue if it were easy to turn on and off, but the only way I've been able to do it so far is through the start menu, which gets tedious. However, after a bit I'll probably be familiar enough with the game to not need the map at all.

I've read that each mission has a time limit... but does that get in the way? I mean, I really despise to have a time limit, so I want to know if it really gets in the way. Another thing, I've read that you can play both with the Wii Remote and the Classic Controller, but I cannot afford the classic controller right now, and the only version of the game I can get is the one that does not have the classic controller bundle. So, how does the game play with the Wii Remote? Is the wiimote responsive as in TP? I seriously don't mind the waggling, I just want it to be responsive, so if its as responsive as in TP, I wouldn't mind. I've just have to way a couple more days to be able to buy my holiday list of games, and I really want to be sure if Tri will be in it or not. I'll appreciate any feedback! :D

Sasuke Uchiha

The Crimson Alchemist
Yeah, the timelimit gets in the way in the ending quests. Unless you level up your weapons online, then all of the later quests are easy. I can kill the final single-player boss in 14mins. Also, the final title is Fabled Harpooner not Lord of the Abyss. I misspoke that in one of my last posts.

Cuju

私はカウントダウンを実行します。
I think this game is amazing. It`s nice to take a break from the usual Zelda game type that I play and just farm Lagiacrus all day. Now I`m stuck on Barrioth

Onilink89

Nyanko Sensei
I think this game is amazing. It`s nice to take a break from the usual Zelda game type that I play and just farm Lagiacrus all day. Now I`m stuck on Barrioth

How i love people's reaction if they fight a Barrioth the first time, especialy online! xD

Here is a couple of tips for ya:
- Since you are farming lagia, forge lagia armor because of its skills. (razor sharp and element atk up)
- Lagia armor has alot of decorations slots, make good use of it. For my first time is equiped "vitality jewel" x8. (vitality jewel=health +2 and if u have +15 in total, u get a maxed health bar)
- As for a weapon, try forging "Djinn", The Rathalos SnS. To get it Bone Tomahawk--> Qurupeco Chopper-->Djinn. Materials are easy to get, no rare items needed. Barrioth is really weak against fire element and with the armor skills of lagia armor, it will boost the element damage.
- Another reason for Djinn is that you can defend. If you suck at defending, equip the "auto guard" talisman. Its lets you guard automaticly if you are not attacking. So if u move and stand still, it will auto guard. It will not work while attacking. Also, you can move at a normal speed, and that is what u need to catch up with barrioth.

Strategy:
-You will get used to its moves eventually. Most people tend to chase barrioth after its done attacking, which is not a bad thing but it will quickly distant itself and then attack again. Especialy while its in rage mode (eyes turn red). THis is a big disadvantage for this strategy for slow moving weapons.
-Let it come to you instead of chasing it. If u have Auto guard, then there is nothing to worry about. You can attack right away without doing the effort to chase it yourself.
- Aim for the wings/claws first. If they are broken, you will cut down its speed and grip and he will be unable to do its "90 degree attack".
- Barrioth is only strong in offense. Its HP it quite low compared to other monsters.

Celeboy

Collecting Dust
Yeah, i think the barrioth is one of the harder boss monsters. Even though its attacks don't do very much, it is VERY fast. the stratergy i used to beat it, was avoid most of its attacks, and when it wares its self out, attack. Try and do subquest A because subquest B is pitfall trap it, and you get the trap in the blue box. i used a poison great sword (Seigland) made from some not so rare rathian stuff (besides the plate) and i think that helped. Any way i need some help on Ratholos, prferably with a great sword, but i can use SnS and long sword. (i got thunder ones for all three of them)

Last edited:

Celeboy

Collecting Dust
Farming is when you do the quest to get specific things, e.g. breaking lagi's back to get shell shockers, not ACTUAL farming...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom