• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Monster Hunter Monster Hunter Rise

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
While I'm all for a more passive method of stoytelling (otherwise I wouldn't be such a huge Dark Souls fans), it's still important to me for there to be a story that you can finish and then feel some level of completion about. Without that, Monster Hunter just feels too much like Grinding: The Game.
For me, that sense of completion comes from beating the Big Bad ones. The games almost always have a "final boss" type of monster, and often stronger ones waiting beyond that point. It feels satisfying to reach the point where you can comfortably take on those challenges.

There is a lot of grinding, yeah, but you only need to grind for the things you want. Other than that, it's all about the pure fun of the gameplay. That's why I can play the games for thousands of hours and not get bored, but I know that not everyone has to enjoy that as much as me or the same way as me. Still, I think if you're looking into playing a game like MonHun, I'd expect you're in it for the fun of it above all else. That's what MonHun is mostly about.

I personally have never felt like MonHun needed a story focus. It's not the kind of game you pick up to be told a tale, its a game you pick up in order to fight monsters. You want a reason why you're fighting the monsters? You're making your own character, so think up a backstory for them. Pay attention to the quest descriptions, read the monster list for details about what you're hunting, observe the environments you're hunting in, talk to the people in the towns, etc. Put all those little bits together yourself and come up with your own reasons. That's how I've always played the games, anyway. MonHun is very gameplay focused, and the story and lore is always secondary at best and usually learned through your own observations rather than being told to you. I like it like that.

God Eater had you make your own character and fight big ass monsters and it still bothered to have a cast of characters with personalities, backstories and bothered to build a world and create some lore.

Shame that MH hasn't got much of any of that.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
God Eater had you make your own character and fight big ass monsters and it still bothered to have a cast of characters with personalities, backstories and bothered to build a world and create some lore.

Shame that MH hasn't got much of any of that.
I think it does, personally. I can't speak for God Eater but I've enjoyed the characters who help you find your way around being a hunter, even if they aren't very deep. And there is plenty of worldbuilding and lore all across the series; lots of it, actually. It's just not told to you by a narrative. You have to look for it.

Quin

Disaster Master
If Monster Hunter had one, I'd be far more interested in the franchise. World is the only MH I've been interested in, and it's the only one with a story.
No, 4U also had a story. A better one than world at that.

The games generally don't have a story, and it doesn't need one. It does have a great ecology though, and its great at setting a believable world with these monsters. It has great world building, way better than god eater or any other type of hunting game.

Anyway, hype for this one. It basically looks like portable world on switch, and I'm all down for that.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator

Lots of good info here. I am frightened by the possibility of collaborating with that shameful disappointment of a live action movie, but the rest is great stuff. Confirmation of fixing lots of my problems with World. Still wanna know if they're gonna fix the horrible weapon tree, too.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator

New Rise trailer! it's extremely good and so exciting for so many reasons. Here goes.

Wyverian girl is a nice singer. I'm glad the universal MonHun language is back in action. 3U had a lot of nice vocal tracks with it. Also I hope her outfit can be a layered armor. I'd love that.

Kamura Village is gorgeous and looks full of life and character. I also love that it's fully traversable like maps are, that's so awesome and a series first for a town to be like that.

New map revealed... except its not new! It's the Flooded Forest map from 3U, done up in new open glory! My jaw hit the floor. I never expected to see them remake an old map. I'm so excited about that, especially since that map has always been one of my favorites. It looks gorgeous.

New monsters revealed! Somnacanth looks really neat. Always nice to get new leviathans. It seems to focus on sleep statuses, hence the name and abilities. Should be fun. Cool to see Royal Ludroth and Great Wroggi return, too. Bishaten looks really cool, too. Reminds me of Paolumu. He also looks like a fun new addition. Also I heard that Khezu scream lol.

We finally see what the Rampage is! There was already speculation that it was some kind of stampede, and it seems that was right on the money. It utilizes the kind of map we're used to seeing for fights against gigantic monsters like Lao Shan Lung, but instead of one giant monster, it s a whole bunch of regular monsters. That should be really interesting. I can't wait to see how that works in gameplay. The series hasn't done anything like this before, so I'm really excited.

Limited demo which is likely an open beta like World had. Cool. January is earlier than I expected a demo to drop, so I'm very much looking forward to this.

All in all, this trailer was seriously amazing and exciting. Rise is looking better and better every time.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator

Two more weapon trailers today. Indeed, it seems long sword in this game follows its World moveset, which I'm not a fan of. Hopefully the new wirebug moves can offset that for me.

Also, when we first heard the hunter voices, I really liked the idea of it.... but man, they really are choosing some of the lamest and cringiest lines they could hope to come up with. Yeesh. I want to use the voicing, so hopefully there are options to choose specific phrases too, not just the options to adjust frequency or turn them off.

Quin

Disaster Master
All of the videos have been leaked. Liking what I've seen so far, although those voice lines are terrible. Thankfully you can disable them. Also for other hunters.
Too bad jyuratodus is back though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom