• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Monochrome Zelda

The idea recently crossed me but what if there was to be a monochrome Legend of Zelda game similar in style to a game like Madworld. Now don't be dismissive of such a style just yet Not only would this be an opportunity to inject a breath of fresh air into the franchise but also would once again hit a high chord with those gamers who are frothing at the mouth for an increasingly mature installment since 2006's Twilight Princess. And this style wouldn't even have to be included in a main game just a possible spin-off?

Do you think a monochrome style would fit the franchise and would you like to see it? If so, should this style be incorporated into a main game or spin off?

rettam

I accidentally the...
I just don't think it would work, considering that there's a lot of beautiful scenery in many Zelda games, and that it probably wouldn't look nearly as good in that style.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
By monochrome style, do you mean full black-and-while visuals or something like that? I don't see the worth of something like that, be it main titles or spin-offs. On the other hand you mentioned Twilight Princess, which had almost a lifelike shade to it. Players could benefit from the realistic graphics that most probably would derive from that. Intriguing enough, it would be awesome to see a Zelda title with such like that. Perhaps Zelda WiiU will include them since that platform will practically run on HD, thus allowing for the prescribed realism.

guapo2003

The incomparable legend
Honestly I don't see it working. Especially if you are just talking about it being black and white. Zelda has always been rich in color and I believe this would serve it no justice. The fan base would not be happy and I don't see it ever even have the same feel of a Zelda game. Granted there was the original Link's Awakening for the Gameboy, but they still ended up making it have color years later. But hey you never know, if it something that Nintendo might think will work, they have a good nack at that, so there's no telling.

Hanyou

didn't build that
Though I see no reason why Zelda should be "more mature" at all (it's as mature as it needs to be and certainly far more mature than much of what passes for "mature" entertainment these days), I think the developers can make any graphical style work. Since a monochrome Zelda wouldn't necessarily be more mature, it would be an interesting idea to toy with.

Though I see no reason why Zelda should be "more mature" at all (it's as mature as it needs to be and certainly far more mature than much of what passes for "mature" entertainment these days), I think the developers can make any graphical style work. Since a monochrome Zelda wouldn't necessarily be more mature, it would be an interesting idea to toy with.

I would argue that the color palette insinuates a darker tone. Twilight Princess's grittier graphics were already a step towards this direction and various love stories as well as dark moments with Zant and later Ganondorf helped cement its place as a title of such quality.

TheBlueReptile said:
Meeeh. Give it to a spin off title as an experiment. Monochrome Zelda would probably become a bit of an eyesore after a 30 hour save file.

That's what I was thinking of too. Not to mention that Skyward Sword clearly manifested that something would be lost for the franchise if it deserted a clear and vibrant style.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom