• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Molida Island Shooting Gallery - Advice?

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
I'm having a lot of trouble getting a score higher than 700 on this Shooting Gallery. I really don't see any way that I can get over 1700 on it, which is what I feel that I need to do.

After practicing for a while, I managed to get lucky and fluke out 1100, but that was the best I could do, and my score went back to averaging about 300-700 right after.

Is there any kind of trick to this? The stylus doesn't feel accurate enough to aim the way I want, and it feels too hard to predict quickly where I've got to tap in order to get the arrows to go where I want them. It also seems a bit unbelievable that just wasting an arrow and hitting nothing resets my the amount of points I get for each Ghost target all the way back to 10. That costs me way too many points to have a shot at this.

It seems a little difficult to believe that I've really just got to practice over and over, and there's not some kind of shortcut, or something I'm missing... it just doesn't make sense that it's so difficult. I've never struggled this much with a shooting gallery, not even in MM.

This game is not easy. They never give you a break. I don't understand why anyone thinks it is.

DuckNoises

Gone (Wind) Fishin'
There is a little bit of a learning curve. I'll try my best to recall how I did it, because I was pretty good at this minigame. I think I placed the stylus close to Link to optimize speed and to best judge the trajectory of the arrows. Place the stylus over Link on the screen and stroke the stylus forward to shoot, rather than tapping, because tapping has much slower recognition. Stroking really seemed to be the key to the game, rather than tapping. Try and "swivel" Link with the stylus for aiming, and stroke and lift up at the end of the stroke to shoot.

The trick is to pretty much ignore the controls that the game tells you to use. :)

I hope you understand what I'm trying to get at; it would be much easier to give a visual display.

Funny! I'm trying to beat that game too right now! But I'm trying to get the 2000 point prize. What I do, is a hold the stylus close to the top of the touch screen and I keep it held there and move it from side to side, and you can see link aiming, so when your ready to shoot, let go and quickly hold the stylus back on the screen, and take the stylus off the screen to shoot. While its being held there you'll have a better sense of where link is aiming cuz you can see where his arrow is pointing. Then you just gotta get a feel for it. Thats what i did.

Oh, and to win, you CANT miss a ghost target, its better to not shoot one then to shoot and miss it, because once you miss, you gotta shoot 5 more ghosts before they are worth a high amount of points. Same with shooting girls, dont shoot the girls! lol, good luck! Ima need it too, the 2000 point one is so hard!

athenian200

Circumspect
There is a little bit of a learning curve. I'll try my best to recall how I did it, because I was pretty good at this minigame. I think I placed the stylus close to Link to optimize speed and to best judge the trajectory of the arrows. Place the stylus over Link on the screen and stroke the stylus forward to shoot, rather than tapping, because tapping has much slower recognition. Stroking really seemed to be the key to the game, rather than tapping. Try and "swivel" Link with the stylus for aiming, and stroke and lift up at the end of the stroke to shoot.

The trick is to pretty much ignore the controls that the game tells you to use. :)

I hope you understand what I'm trying to get at; it would be much easier to give a visual display.

I think I have an idea of what you mean. I think it will be hard for me even if I can respond more quickly, though, because I'm not good at judging the relationship between how Link is pointed on the lower screen, and where the arrow goes on the upper screen. It feels like I'm trying to shoot at something with a glass of water in front of me bending the image. I have trouble paying attention to two things at once.

The main reason I'm trying to get the extra arrows is because I want to make the Bellum fight easier, but if I'm going to have to work this hard for it... perhaps it just isn't worth it. I haven't been able to beat any of the minigames in PH yet, after all, so I doubt this one is going to yield.

I feel as though the level of challenge is so high, because the minigames are assuming that you can respond very quickly, and are not taking into account the delay caused by using the touchscreen. Probably because the developers tested it on an emulator or something, where it's easier because you can use a mouse, and don't have that stupid hinge creating an angle between the two screens. I have to say, I really dislike it when they treat the two screens like one big screen, rather than dedicating one to displaying maps or status. I bet I would have gotten it already if the whole minigame were displayed on the lower screen.

Thank you for the advice, though... I'll try a few more times, but I ran out of rupees while I was practicing, and I'm getting a little impatient with rupee hunting this late in the game. Not to mention the fact that I think I should save my money for ship parts and possibly gems I haven't gotten yet.

I'm going to collect 1000 more rupees, and if I don't get it before those run out, I'll call it quits.

If I can't miss ANY targets, like Link-182 said, though, then I'm probably going to fail. My aim was never that good. I always miss targets, I just can't act with that kind of precision consistently and quickly.

Last edited:

Xinnamin

Mrs. Austin
I remember this was my favorite mini-game in PH, and also the one I was best at. What I did was rather than learning how to aim, I learned how to time my shots. At first I ALWAYS fired into the middle of the screen, I never bothered having Link aim left or right, always straight forward. You do have to hit pretty much all of them, I can't remember exactly but I think you can afford one miss? But after I learned the timing I could shoot exactly when I had to at the center of the upper screen an hit the target easy.

As for how I used the controls, I tend to hold the stylus down, then lift to shoot. I find tapping can throw off your timing, and it definitely throws off the aim. For the girl targets, they're pretty easy to avoid I find. Remember that there is only ever one girl on screen. When you get the timing down, aiming left and right becomes easier, and then you can shoot targets that haven't even turned around if the girl is already present elsewhere. Sometimes you will have to aim to get around the girl, but if she's blocking something, don't risk it unless you really know what you're doing.

So yeah, there is a lot of practice involved, I only got good after playing for like...30 min non-stop ^_^; But for me the trick was knowing what to practice at, and that was timing. Get that and the rest is a lot easier. And don't tap to shoot, hold down and release to shoot. It makes it a lot easier imo. Good luck!

athenian200

Circumspect
At first I ALWAYS fired into the middle of the screen, I never bothered having Link aim left or right, always straight forward. You do have to hit pretty much all of them, I can't remember exactly but I think you can afford one miss? But after I learned the timing I could shoot exactly when I had to at the center of the upper screen an hit the target easy.

You know, I was actually considering this strategy... I found myself drifting towards it already.

As for how I used the controls, I tend to hold the stylus down, then lift to shoot.
That seems to be a common thread in the advice I'm receiving. I'll definitely have to incorporate it.

Remember that there is only ever one girl on screen. When you get the timing down, aiming left and right becomes easier, and then you can shoot targets that haven't even turned around if the girl is already present elsewhere. Sometimes you will have to aim to get around the girl, but if she's blocking something, don't risk it unless you really know what you're doing.
I do know that there is only one girl on screen at a time, but I had trouble exploiting that fact to my advantage without knowledge of how to control my aim. Perhaps that will be useful to keep in mind now.
So yeah, there is a lot of practice involved, I only got good after playing for like...30 min non-stop ^_^; But for me the trick was knowing what to practice at, and that was timing. Get that and the rest is a lot easier. And don't tap to shoot, hold down and release to shoot. It makes it a lot easier imo. Good luck!
30 minutes? Okay, I could do that. I'd probably try for at least 2 hours before giving up, actually. :)

And I'll make sure not to tap.

EDIT:

Okay, everyone...

I DID it!

I got EXACTLY 1700 points. I got that quiver by the skin of my teeth, but I got it. I would like to thank everyone who suggested that I needed to hold and release the stylus in the direction I wanted the arrow to go, rather than tapping. It helps A LOT with your aim. I would also like to thank Xinnamin for mentioning that tip about trying to get your timing right, and catch the targets while they're in the middle, rather than messing with the ones on the outskirts of the field.

I may or may not go for the Heart Container, but I feel great. I only used up about 400 of the 1000 rupees that I collected, which means I've got money left over! :)

EDIT2:

Oh. My. God. I GOT the Heart Container! Just two tries after getting the other one. Pinch me, I must be dreaming.

I've conquered this mini-game. Technically, I didn't get a perfect score, because I did miss twice, but I did get pretty close. Close enough for the game, anyway. :)

Last edited:

Zelda's_Child

~Insert Epicness Here~
Congratulations athenian!! I'm having SOOO much trouble on this minigame, so the advice in this thread was incredibly helpful!!! Now I have the will to go see Romanos again...

Michael Heide

The 8th Wise Man
The one piece of advice I can offer is practice, practice, practice.

Save your game before playing. Play five or six times in a row. If you didn't win, reload the savegame and start over again. This might take a while, but eventually, you'll get better.
And while there is a heart container you can get, the game is much more useful to get upgrades for your ship.

NICE, I finally got the heart container from that last week too, it was soo difficult I cried I tried for at least 4 hours haha. Its just a lot of practice, being cautious and not hitting the girl or missing any at all. You have to hit every time. Ya, good luck!

Master Sword13

thatjoshoverthere
That game took me forever to eat. I'm finally satisfied that I have 100% in the game. Anyway, it was tough for me too and on top of that my DS calibration was all weird so it was super tough for me. It took me like an actually and full 2 years that I had it. Took me forever. Anyway, good job on beating the minigame though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom