• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Modern Modifying Link Yes or No?

Should Link be customizable?

• Yes, should be fun editing him to my liking

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, the original Link is good

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

*M i d n a*

Æsir Scribe
There are many games that let the player edit the main hero/player of the game. In WW, you were allowed to edit the name if you wanted to, but what about Link's appearance? I know that he's always been that blonde kid/guy that we all know so well. But do you think it would be awesome if Nintendo allowed you to tweak a few of Link's looks? I am talking facial features and also body, like the color of his outfit. Imagine playing with a fat Link, lol, or a brunette Link with freckles, or a big nose. etc. Should this kind of hero alteration be allowed in feature games? Or would this kind of thing take away from what Link has become up to this point?

I am totally fine with it if they allowed such thing, and also the inclusion of a playable female character, for girls. :)

(This is a poll, so I hope the two options show)

Zelda_Ali_Baba

Why did the humans attack
Hmm, thats a tough call! I've only been a LoZ fan for a year and a half, but honestly, I think Link is good as he is. I almost feel like adding a customized character feature would take away from the "magic" of the series. No matter how many Zelda games you've played, Link always manages to capture your heart. Allowing the change in that feels like it might take away from that feeling.

But then, if they DID, I would be okay with it! I mean I can still keep Link the same way so it doesn't affect me! Either way sounds great! :)

Zorth

#Scoundrel
Or would this kind of thing take away from what Link has become up to this point?

Link has not become anything to this point, he's still the semi blank character he was 30 years ago. The original point of the character was to establish a connection between our world and the game world, to act as a link; hence the name. Although Nintendo has been messing just a little bit giving him a set appearance and small signs telling us he might after all be his own character. This puts his status at semi-blank, he's not fully empty without any set appearance or emotions nor is he a character with a deep back story and own voice.

I don't really care what Nintendo decides to do as long as they move out of this grey area of Link being a semi-blank, either make him his own character or strip it all away from him to make him a good link between real life and game. Preferably the latter because that was the original point of his character, so a little contradictory to scratch that idea.

Awesome

The Creepy Uncle
I honestly wouldn't mind either way. If they do decide to go the "Create Your Own Link so that Link can Finally be a True Link to the Player" option, then obviously there should still be the option to choose the default or "classic" Link.

I honestly think it might be kind of fun to mess around with Link's appearance. Mainly I'd probably just make him a girl because I enjoy playing as girl characters more often then I enjoy playing male for some reason. But yeah either option is good with me.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Link is a heavily engrained character in the Zelda lore, however even in spite of this he still has the suitability to be customized to many degrees. From gender to clothing color to clothing style, I'd say Link is probably one of the most malleable characters in gaming history, and this is due to his rather shallow sense of self.

The degree of customizing Link shouldn't be too over the top; I suppose people would be averse to tattoos and piercings among other things. But, customizing him should still be there! :)

EternalNocturne

Fluffy hair!
Contrary to what some might believe, I feel as though the Link we know today (and yes, I realize that there are multiple Links -- though for this purpose he is basically one character) has grown into something far more than just a literal "link" between the player and the game. LoZ Link had no say whatsoever in what he did; it was all the player's doing. SS Link had his own life and friends. He had his own emotions that he experienced -- and we, the players, only sat back and watched. If Link was truly just something that we could project ourselves into, I'm sure a lot of people would have easily given up saving Zelda since they don't like her.

That said, customizing a character like Link just doesn't work for me. He's his own character, not an avatar that you can dress up and alter as you please.

While I'm on this topic, I guess I also have to mention that I don't understand why Nintendo still allows us to name Link to this day, as well as still not giving him a voice. They've already given him enough emotion so that he's virtually out of the player's control...

Last edited:

SinkingBadges

The Quiet Man
Since OoT already had a few options to change his tunic color along with the shield and boots then I don't think allowing a full-on custom system would be that much of a stretch. Kind of miss that actually, it'd be nice to see something more creative being done with that.

Also, lol @ changing his body. xD

Link isn't a blank slate for the player anymore, (25 years will do that to you) We know that he is chosen by the gods, has a lot of ancestors and can pretty much go into a new Zelda with a good idea of what to expect from characters and events within the games outside of the usual plot points. So I'm all for customising Link to be a lil more like me, i'd like to play with his hair colour, give him a different kind of tunic etc. Obviously Nintendo wouldnt make it so ridiculous to the point that after modding Link we wouldnt recognise him at all, think Soul Calibur etc, its still period, its still the style yet it has create a character...

We've never been able to mod Link in a gam properly so it'll be only a slight customisation option the first time around if we were able to anyway since customising is a thing that seems to grow with games that feature it, take Tekken and again Soul Calibur as examples... So i'd like to edit my Link, i also would turn him into a girl too because its time for a change.

I'd only welcome it if it has some relevance to the story or progression of the game, otherwise I want Link to remain the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom