• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Mockingjay - I Was Disappointed! SPOILERS!!

Mockingjay, the third book in the hugely popular Hunger Games series, was a bit of a letdown to me. I love the first two books, and the characters are fully fleshed-out and relatable. Don't get me wrong, Mockingjay wasn't bad....it was just different.

Obviously, there's no Hunger Games, and the rebellion and blah blah. The story just didn't go anywhere, and you never feel a part of the action, you just hear about the action. It's like your friend telling you how much fun the amusement park was. You don't get the same feeling they did. 2/3 of the novel takes place underground, with a few rare breaks when the main characters actually did something other than mope around and whine. The last 1/3 takes place at the Capitol, and these scenes aren't bad, however.

Also, the new characters (and even some old ones), were very flat. Meaning, they didn't develop in this book. Katniss and Peeta grew a LOT in the transition of The Hunger Games and Catching Fire, but they were just there in this book. I lost track of how many times Katniss was drugged and woke up in the hospital. Haymitch literally has no role, and some other favorites, such as Prim, don't get much time either. The new characters, such as President Coin, and Snow, really get most of the attention, and this is a letdown. In addition, a lot of these characters end up dying at the end anyways, and this isn't really a surprise. Finnick, a favorite, is really shown a lot of in Mockingjay, and then, whoops! he dies without reason.

That being said, though, there are some great parts of Mockingjay. The dialogue and writing were great just like the first two, and there are a few wonderfully planned moments with Katniss and her cohorts. Also, the end was thought-out well, and most of the loose ends get tied up.

Well, what do you think? Did you like it, or hate it? Why?

FlatxSharp

Music to last through the ages
I've read half of the book...and I agree. I felt like I wasted my entire summer wating for this book. Reading the first two over and over...and then come to read this bone-dry book. I've read all the spoilers, an attempt to make myself interested in it so I can finish it but...my enthusiasm is just gone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom