• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

[MM] Who do the Deku worship/do they worship?

The Dashing Darknut

DD, the dashing one
It’s been on my mind for a while

The Woodfall Temple is implied to be a place of worship83AA1DEA-B9CB-4573-9937-770EF4A4697F.jpeg
This implies that they do worship. The question is who?

If it’s the Deku it could be the founders of the Deku palace who are Deku, but then again, it could be Oldalwa, but the question is, why is he worshipped?

The Giants were the ones who founded the four regions and protected them, what did Oldalwa do? And why are there Deku marks on the temple if they worship Oldalwa?

I kind of think that maybe Oldalwa was a Deku but Majora transformed him drastically, and he didn’t always look like that

The Dashing Darknut

DD, the dashing one
In Majora's Mask specifically, they are a very tribal culture, reminiscant of cultures that existed in reality in ways. I think they probably just worship nature in general.
But what if Oldalwa was a god of nature, he spread the word of nature to the Deku, and that’s why the temple is there?

I also feel like they would care more about the swamp being poisoned, and the new changes to Woodfall and the Swamp

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
But what if Oldalwa was a god of nature, he spread the word of nature to the Deku, and that’s why the temple is there?

I also feel like they would care more about the swamp being poisoned, and the new changes to Woodfall and the Swamp
All of the bosses in the game are pawns of Majora's Mask, created to surpress the influence of the 4 giants that exist in some other realm, I guess.

Potentially they might worship the 4 giants who emphasize a connection to nature but we can't be sure.

The Dashing Darknut

DD, the dashing one
All of the bosses in the game are pawns of Majora's Mask, created to surpress the influence of the 4 giants that exist in some other realm, I guess.
Sure Majora did use them as pawns but F1FA9ED0-7644-4914-B77B-47FCDF499520.jpeg
Yes this is non cannon information but it could still be true in MM. The God of Woodfall. The question is what kind of god was he? Is he an embodiment of nature?

In Ocarina of Time, I thought that the Deku worshipped Queen Gohma? Am I making that up?

In Majora's Mask, all evidence points towards Odolwa being a Mayan-inspired Deku deity of some sort, focused on fire and dancing. The relationship between the Woodfall Giant and Odolwa (and, more broadly, the four bosses and the four giants) is still a little unclear to me. It might be that they worship the Woodfall Giant, and Odolwa, a spirit inhabiting Odolwa's Remains, much the same way Majora inhabits Majora's Mask, corrupted the water. But then who made Odolwa's Remains? The tribe that made Majora's Mask, who also dances in much the same way Odolwa does? That's probably the best theory; that Odolwa is a spirit inhabiting the mask and wreaking havoc, maybe because it was not worshipped adequately by the Deku.

Lots of questions.

They could be a people who easily changed their allegiance. Ocarina of time is a good point. We see how easily some will quickly turn from enemy to alie. They may be the same way with their gods; worshipping whatever individual seems strongest, or conquers them.

This may sound dumb, but I always thought the bosses of MM were the giants, and that the boss remains were like transformation masks that had cursed the giants into the bosses, like how MM cursed Link into a Deku form.

Only difference is Link has the Triforce of Courage, which as shown in TP, partially protects against curses like that, which is why Link didn't turn evil when cursed in MM.

I mean, why else would Link carry their faces, unless those remains were actually masks?

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
I don't think there's *any* evidence for this but I would guess they had something of an animistic religion. It would make for a great conceit for a Hyrule RTS though if they worshipped Farore to exclusion. Imagine the jihadic war the tribes would wage if the Deku promoted Farore, the Goron repped Din, the Zora praised Nayru, the Hylians revered Hylia, the Gerudo worshipped the Goddess of the Sand, and the Wind Tribe, the Zuna, the Piccori, and the Rito fist bumped Vaati because...like come on, he's Vaati.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom