• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Miyamoto Confirms Remakes of Past Nintendo Titles?

What do you think of Nintendo remakes?

• Bring 'em on!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I wanna see new games. Not remakes!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Personly, when I got onto ZD, and saw the article Miyamoto: A Link to the Past Remake?, I immediately said, "Oh, crap." I'm pretty sure at least 50% of ZD agrees with Axle the Beast when he says that he doesn't want remakes, but new games. Also, when he says that each Zelda has it's own style, and it should stay like that. Not make 'em all into 3D games. But, Miyamoto could mean remakes like what Nintendo's doing with Link's Awakening, just making 3D sprites...I dunno.

Just one thing I hope is that when/if Miyamoto and his Zelda team make the remakes, he keeps them as their own styles. Well, then again, it actually would be pretty could to see games like ALttP and LA in 3D. There should be an option as to play it in 3D, or play it in 2D with 3D effects. So....now that I gave you my thoughts, what are your's on Zelda remakes?

I must say im not happy about these games remade.
I would rather Nintendo's efforts be concentrated on making new titles.
Anyway doing these remakes these games cannot be miproved.

So doing these remakes is good for people who never played the original. games.

But its not hard to download these old games.

I'm mostly mad about all the remakes because they're putting most of their effort into remaking old titles in 3D for the 3DS, and I want new games for the 3DS. Give me something new to experience on the 3DS, not give me the "before, after" effect. Quite honestly, this is making the system look worse, rather than better.

There are too many remakes for this system. Ocarina of Time 3D would be fun, but then there's Star Fox 64 3D, and now this. Animal Crossing is always pracitcally a remake, so I'm almost certain I'll consider that a remake when it's out. Mario Kart stopped innovating with Mario Kart DS, so Mario Kart 3DS probably won't be much better.

Nintendogs + Cats is basically identical to the original Nintendogs, only this time with cats, that barely doesn't count as a remake for me.

I know what you're thinking, "but what does that have to do with them making a LTTP remake?" Well, more or less what I'm saying, there's a time when a remake is good, and there's a time when a remake isn't good. Ocarina of Time 3D was good, the other remakes arguably are good, but they're clustering remakes, which makes them all look bad.

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
I'd have to agree with Zenox. One or two remakes every so often on a system is okay. But when there's tons of remakes, then we've got a problem. The developers are wasting perfectly good resources on doing something that had a ton of positive critique already when they could be making brand new games to expand the series.

There's a really nice quote here that I think fits this situation perfectly: If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
I'm actually getting tired of saying this. These remakes ARE NOT slowing down new games. Nintendo's been outsourcing these remakes to trustworthy third parties. Which mean the primary teams ARE NOT working on the remakes, meaning that they very likely are working on new games. Stop complaining about the remakes, really. They know what they're doing and are handling it better than they have before. They outsourced the remakes work to other development teams so they could keep working on the new games themselves. Some of the breakthroughs in some of these remakes in fact can be used in new games, such as the game engine in Ocarina of Time 3D. There's no reason why it can't be used on all future Zelda games on the 3DS. It'd save a lot of development time.

Cuju

私はカウントダウンを実行します。
I want SS now, not a remake. I`ve been waiting on SS for a solid third of my life! I want new!!! :) (Short post Win...)

im kind of neutral on this subject for i do want to see some remakes yet i want to see newer games. Maybe Nintendo can leave another company in charge of remakes. I know Capcom wanted to do a remake of the original Legend of Zelda and maybe Nintendo can permit them to do that. Capcom has never let us down before so why would they with a zelda game? I say leave the remakes to Nintendo's partners and let Nintendo focus on the new Zelda games.

I'm actually getting tired of saying this. These remakes ARE NOT slowing down new games. Nintendo's been outsourcing these remakes to trustworthy third parties. Which mean the primary teams ARE NOT working on the remakes, meaning that they very likely are working on new games. Stop complaining about the remakes, really. They know what they're doing and are handling it better than they have before. They outsourced the remakes work to other development teams so they could keep working on the new games themselves. Some of the breakthroughs in some of these remakes in fact can be used in new games, such as the game engine in Ocarina of Time 3D. There's no reason why it can't be used on all future Zelda games on the 3DS. It'd save a lot of development time.

I don't disagree, but my main point is, the 3DS is becoming a system focused mainly on remakes. I understand that this is to show a before, after effect of games the gamers have played before, but I don't want a system with a bunch of remakes, I have my N64 still and would rather save money playing the orignals.

Main point being, no moar remakes. This system already has more remakes than most systems have in their lifetime. Don't you think that's a bit absurd?

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
im kind of neutral on this subject for i do want to see some remakes yet i want to see newer games. Maybe Nintendo can leave another company in charge of remakes. I know Capcom wanted to do a remake of the original Legend of Zelda and maybe Nintendo can permit them to do that. Capcom has never let us down before so why would they with a zelda game? I say leave the remakes to Nintendo's partners and let Nintendo focus on the new Zelda games.
*cough*
See this:

Nintendo's partners ARE handling the remakes. Nintendo itself IS focusing on the new games. Like I just said, they're doing things better now than they have been. Outsourcing the remakes to partners while they work on the new games is genius. The main reason people dislike remakes is that they assume it slows down the main games. Well here, it's already been clearly shown over and over that this new round of remakes is NOT SLOWING down new games, there should be no more reason to complain about there being remakes. Also like I said before, it can even speed up production of new games as they can share coding and game engines instead of having to build several different ones.

I agree with Zenox:
"This system already has more remakes than most systems have in their lifetime. Don't you think that's a bit absurd?"

And Master Kokiri 9:
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

And Matt, I'm agree with you, but chill out. It's a commonly known fact by now that OoT 3DS is being developed by Grezzo. But, aren't you a little concerned that almost 50% of the 3DS's titles that have been announced/released are remakes or ports? That all I'm sayin'.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
And Matt, I'm agree with you, but chill out. It's a commonly known fact by now that OoT 3DS is being developed by Grezzo. But, aren't you a little concerned that almost 50% of the 3DS's titles that have been announced/released are remakes or ports? That all I'm sayin'.
No. I don't see what the problem is with remakes. It gives more life to games that otherwise might be lost. It's hard to find a working N64 anymore, and ones you do find might not last long anyway. I have never had a problem with remakes, but I have had a problem with people complaining about them. There isn't anything wrong with moving some great games to the newest system. Especially one that is going to get some real classics on its virtual console. Remakes are chances to eliminate bugs or problems with the original versions. For example, we're no longer going to be bothered with the Deku Nut Upgrade bug. And when the primary production teams are outsourcing the remakes to partners, I really don't see what the problem is. All it means is that the system is going to have a bigger library. If they weren't doing that, we'd just be getting the ordinary run of games and have a more limited selection. I really do not understand why people would want LESS games available for a system. I would prefer it has as many good games as possible. Even if they're remakes. Good games are good games, remake or not. If you don't like remakes, then don't buy them. You don't have to drag it down for people that do like them. Nintendo's handling themselves well. They're keeping their primary teams working on new games, as indicated by Miyamoto, while third parties work on remaking the other, older games to bring them to the system. It works well. I honestly don't see what the problem is. It's like you're complaining about someone being TOO productive. Where's the sense in that?

Hanyou

didn't build that
I'll give my two cents, which aren't that different from Matt's:

1.) Like Matt said, remakes are not slowing down new games. Since 2005, we've seen four brand new Zelda titles (The Minish Cap, Twilight Princess, Phantom Hourglass, and Spirit Tracks), with a fifth on the way this year. That's five games in six years. That's about as much as any franchise can ask for, so why not remake a masterpiece like Ocarina of Time or Link's Awakening? It's obvious to me that none of these releases are really slowing down new games at all.

2.) Rereleasing just makes sense. Not all of us own a working Nintendo 64 with a working controller and Ocarina of Time cartridge. Nintendo has done nothing wrong by rereleasing their games with every new format. And so long as they are rereleasing, what's wrong with tweaks and improvements? Indeed, it adds content to the original game, often making for a meatier experience overall and a slightly different one for those of us who experienced the original. It's win-win. Don't like it, don't buy it.

I completely disagree with the dichotomy presented here. It's not a question of either/or.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
1.) Like Matt said, remakes are not slowing down new games. Since 2005, we've seen four brand new Zelda titles (The Minish Cap, Twilight Princess, Phantom Hourglass, and Spirit Tracks), with a fifth on the way this year. That's five games in six years. That's about as much as any franchise can ask for, so why not remake a masterpiece like Ocarina of Time or Link's Awakening? It's obvious to me that none of these releases are really slowing down new games at all.
Here be a list from 2000 on. North American release years.
  1. Majora's Mask - 2000
  2. Oracle of Ages - 2001
  3. Oracle of Seasons - 2001
  4. A Link to the Past/Four Swords - 2002
  5. The Wind Waker - 2003
  6. Ocarina of Time/Ocarina of Time Master Quest - 2003
  7. Collector's Edition - 2003
  8. Four Swords Adventures - 2004
  9. The Legend of Zelda (Classic NES Series) - 2004
  10. The Adventure of Link (Classic NES Series) - 2004
  11. The Minish Cap - 2005
  12. Twilight Princess -2006
  13. The Legend of Zelda (Virtual Console) - 2006
  14. A Link to the Past (Virtual Console) - 2007
  15. Ocarina of Time (Virtual Console) - 2007
  16. The Adventure of Link (Virtual Console) - 2007
  17. Phantom Hourglass - 2007
  18. Majora's Mask (Virtual Console) - 2009
  19. Spirit Tracks - 2009
  20. Ocarina of Time 3DS - 2011
  21. Link's Awakening DX (3DS eShop) - 2011
  22. Skyward Sword - 2011

That's... 11 games in the last 11 years... With 11 ports and remakes. LE GASP! I don't see how ports and remakes slowed anything down at all. :P
You have an average of one each a year. And this isn't even counting what else Nintendo has planned this year that it hasn't told us about. We might just see a couple more on the eShop before the year's out. And maybe another 3DS remake.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
I'll give my two cents, which aren't that different from Matt's:

2.) Rereleasing just makes sense. Not all of us own a working Nintendo 64 with a working controller and Ocarina of Time cartridge. Nintendo has done nothing wrong by rereleasing their games with every new format. And so long as they are rereleasing, what's wrong with tweaks and improvements? Indeed, it adds content to the original game, often making for a meatier experience overall and a slightly different one for those of us who experienced the original. It's win-win. Don't like it, don't buy it.

I completely disagree with the dichotomy presented here. It's not a question of either/or.

I disagree, I hate improvement. (sarcasm)

On a serious note.

I don't see the problem with remakes or ports. Especially with a series like the Legend of Zelda. It's a living series and it gains many new fans who never played the older titles. And for those saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" I know it's hard to except this, but Ocarina of Time has shown it's age for some time now and thank god for a remake so that we can now enjoy a masterpiece in a unique way with way better visuals and physics. How many original titles does the Legend of Zelda have by the way? 15!.....16! With Skyward Sword. And now we get our very first remake and people complain. Really?

Like previously said, not everyone has a working N64 or any other older system for that matter that plays fine with games that work or a controller to play with. So why not have remakes or ports. Is it really harming the original games? I think not. Just take a look at Resident Evil Remake. That is the perfect definition of a remake that was badly needed. Not only did it bring better visuals to the table it had more in game content and improved on the original. It did the original justice and didn't hurt it at all. You guys are talking about Nintendo here. How many times do they ever fail to deliver the goods. They know what we don't know we want. Everyone whined like babies about Wind Waker's direction until it came out and Nintendo gave the babies their bottles. We got a remake of Super Mario 64 on the DS and now we are getting remakes of Star Fox 64 and Ocarina of Time. From what I've played and seen of these games, not a single thing is wrong with them. Are you guys noticing how these remakes are coming from the Nintendo 64 era of games? Do you know why? Because it was the first time Nintendo went to 3D and they had to put major series like Zelda and Mario and reinvent them for 3D which by the way was kind of awkward. Did you guys not see Mario's head compared to now? Those games age a lot faster then games of the Super Nintendo era or even the NES era. So if we do end up with remakes or a remake of A Link to the Past, I say go for it. And if you got a problem with that, then don't buy it and play your more bogus version instead of an up to date one.

The Legend of Zelda isn't going anywhere. So what's with the complaining. You'll get your new game. But don't forget about the games that made the series.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom