• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Miyamoto Announces Shorter Tutorials in Future Games

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
According to this article, the head developers at Nintendo are discussing ways to shorten the tutorials in future Zelda games in order to get into the action quicker. It seems the prayers of many fans have finally been heard, because this has been a big topic in recent Zelda titles. While I personally don't care too much either way -- namely with SS, since the tutorials are completely optional and the opening is completely relevant to the story -- I am glad that Nintendo has listened and that we definitely won't be getting any unnecessarily long openings like in TP that drag on for no real reason.

What are your thoughts on this news? *Cue VanitasXII's rejoice*

I for one am ecstatic at the news. I've always loved to jump in on the action minutes after picking up the controller like in A Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time. Truth be told, however, I do agree with you that the introduction to Skyward Sword was highly sentimental and pertinent to the story therefore justifying its existence. Nevertheless, I respect Miyamoto's thoughts for the future and trust that whatever plans he has for the franchise rest on a solid foundation.

JuicieJ said:
*Cue VanitasXII's rejoice*

You just have to bait him every time? :rolleyes:

I sort of enjoy tutorials, in some games it seems like here's your weapon and here's how you use it your on your own, although some Zelda tutorials keep dragging on and on. I think what Nintendo needs to do is split the tutorials up a bit. Have some action in between the tutorials. Throw you into the action and explain on the spot. I didn't think Skyward Sword's was that bad honestly. I think they should make a really basic tutorial dungeon right at the beginning sort of like the Great Deku Tree. Where you are still interested but learning the controls etc. at the same time.

Linksister82

Setterwind
That's cool. I didn't have a problem with them the way they were but whatever. I'm guessing if he wants to change it then he must have gotten complaints from enough people to make a difference so apparently a lot of people DID have a problem with the length of the tutorials. If it will help sales, I'm all for it. Go Miyamoto. Do yo thang.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
You just have to bait him every time? :rolleyes:
This is good stuff, so at least there (shouldn't) be post dissection and me going roundabout. xD

I'm ecstatic. Back to the days of OoT where tutorials are in a completely sectioned off the newcomer's playground again hopefully.
It's not that tutorials are bad (they're good) it's just that I hate to listen to NPCs that I'm probably never gonna see again talk to me about a feature that I've mastered about twenty playthroughs ago :right:
This is good, Nintendo cares about it's fans.

MW7

I'm happy that they are addressing this concern that fans have (and me). Personally I wish they would just let you skip through tutorials and the introduction very quickly which would make the length mostly extraneous but this is something.

I'm still mad at Nintendo for making us catch two fish in Twilight Princess though. That was completely unintuitive and was probably one of the most common places for players to get stuck in the entire game.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Personally I wish they would just let you skip through tutorials and the introduction very quickly which would make the length mostly extraneous but this is something.

I'm still mad at Nintendo for making us catch two fish in Twilight Princess though. That was completely unintuitive and was probably one of the most common places for players to get stuck in the entire game.
Well, the only thing I think would work is the skip button, featured thus far in TP, PH and ST, that we can use right as we put the game disc in the system. I think it was rather stupid on Nintendo's part to implement it in TP/PH/ST but conspicuously leave it out of SS.

Speaking of that, I actually got stuck at the fish catching part of the introduction when I was replaying TP a couple days ago. Odd, and I'm the one rambling about how easy that game is!

Speaking of that, I actually got stuck at the fish catching part of the introduction when I was replaying TP a couple days ago. Odd, and I'm the one rambling about how easy that game is!

On the wii version i was there a good 40 minutes trying to catch both fish, it was an awful experience. GC version took me mere minutes. But TP made me loathe the idea of fishing in Zelda for quite some time, worse still that this happened before the game had really began..

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
Well, the only thing I think would work is the skip button, featured thus far in TP, PH and ST, that we can use right as we put the game disc in the system. I think it was rather stupid on Nintendo's part to implement it in TP/PH/ST but conspicuously leave it out of SS.

I think it's fine that they didn't let us skip the cutscenes in the first playthrough. Cutscenes are important, so why would you even want to skip one in a first playthrough? However, I do think it's stupid that you can't skip cutscenes in a separate playthrough (save Hero Mode). We can skip them if we turn the game off without saving. Why not when we start a new game? That just doesn't make any sense. I hope Nintendo doesn't make that mistake in the future.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
But TP made me loathe the idea of fishing in Zelda for quite some time, worse still that this happened before the game had really began..
But fishing in TP was far better than OoT (IMO). I just kinda wish there was a reward beyond bragging rights.

I think it's fine that they didn't let us skip the cutscenes in the first playthrough. Cutscenes are important, so why would you even want to skip one in a first playthrough? However, I do think it's stupid that you can't skip cutscenes in a separate playthrough (save Hero Mode). We can skip them if we turn the game off without saving. Why not when we start a new game? That just doesn't make any sense. I hope Nintendo doesn't make that mistake in the future.
I'm one for the gameplay (I don't play Zelda for the story, who DOES?), plus I spoiled myself long before the game even released. I basically knew the story, so why should I be forced to read it again? I must reinforce the notion that I am one for the gameplay hence my buying the game. If I wanted story, personally I'd go buy a book or a series known for it's story such as Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy, and so on.

I think we should just get rid of tutorials completely and just use the instruction manual that comes with every single game. Today, we only use manuals for collection purposes and toilet paper. Why can't we depend on manuals anymore? On topic, this is great news.:D

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
I'm one for the gameplay (I don't play Zelda for the story, who DOES?), plus I spoiled myself long before the game even released. I basically knew the story, so why should I be forced to read it again? I must reinforce the notion that I am one for the gameplay hence my buying the game. If I wanted story, personally I'd go buy a book or a series known for it's story such as Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy, and so on.

This may be so, but I still don't see why you would want to skip the cutscenes. They often contain important information about the game in general. Plus, why would you not want to know the story, even if you don't care about it much? The story is half the entertainment.

Btw, you reading the text dump isn't solid logic for not doing what I said Nintendo should do (or, rather, implied).

you know, I love the fact they are taking less time to actually use a tutorial.
however, in some respects it might be more harm then good.
by doing this they could also make the beginning of the game super short, creating not much of a back story at all.
thus, creating maybe a confusing story.

nintendo has surprised me before though.
so we'll just have to see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom