• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Minish Cap: The 3D/2D Zelda

Minish Cap was considered by most to be a 2D Zelda game, a lot like A Link to the Past. I'll admit it drew a lot of inspiration from it, and was a lot like it.

But the one thing that really struck me about Minish Cap (literally, right when I first played a tryout of it), was how much it resembled the 3D games in gameplay.

Back when Ocarina of Time came out, it featured a lot of new gameplay aspects. It wasn't just the 3D graphics. It was the 3D gameplay. Jumped when you reached a ledge, rolling, targeting, etc. The 2D games never had anything like these until MC.

In MC you could roll, that much is obvious. But then you could use your shield or bow, and hold the button to move while facing the same direction. This was a lot like the targeting featured in the 3D games. There was also more minor similarities related to items, such as the Magical Boomerang. The normal Boomerang functioned like it did in ALttP, but the Magical Boomerang could be controlled, and the end result made it feel a lot like the Boomerangs in OoT, WW and TP, at least to me. There was also Ezlo's ability to glide, which resembled the Deku Leaf in WW, and his hints. MC was the first 2D game to feature a partner like this.

I personally loved this feel to the game and would love to see it again. :)

Thoughts? Did you like the aspects of the 3D games, or did you not? Or do you even agree it felt like the 3D games?

I do agree that it felt more like the 3D Zelda's than most of the other 2D's did. The first time you did the thing where Ezlo was like a parachute, I was immediately reminded of Wind Waker :P

Skull_Kid

Bugaboo!
First of all, pretty much every Zelda game after ALttP took A LOT of inspiration from it.
Secondly, I don't think that it has to do with having a more 3-D-ish feeling, it was just the natural evolution of things

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom