• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Minish Cap Misplacement?

PokaLink

Pokalink the avaricious
First i would like to apoligize if there is a prior thread on this subject, i've found it curious that the interior of Hyrule Castle in Minish cap is quite similer to A Link to the Past, also a trophy that Carlov made mentions Din being a dancer from Holdrum, wich makes me believe that they meant to say that Minish Cap took some time after ALttP and the OoX series, your thoughts?

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
I think MC was meant to look like older games like ALttP, and you have a good point, however, the bonus prize goes to you if you can explain how the stories would fit together in that order? :)

H

H37I

Maybe Din, Nayru, and Farore do the same thing as the royal family. maybe the three name each of their female newborns with their own name. i really don't know, you got my interest.

Maybe Din, Nayru, and Farore do the same thing as the royal family. maybe the three name each of their female newborns with their own name. i really don't know, you got my interest.

I like this idea, who says that Zelda is the only person to be named successively in the Zelda Universe. Another case could possibly be made that the Oracle are manifestations of nature and are immortal, thus explaining the gigantic time differences between MC and OOS. We also don't know enough about Holdrum to say if it follows the same flow of time as Hyrule. It could be that what seems like a minute in Holdrum lasts a year in Hyrule thus explaining the longevity of Din the Oracle of Seasons.

I believe that the stylistic similarities between ALttP and MC are simply that this was a return to 2D Zelda and that was the last major art style for 2D Zelda games. The could have been trying to emulate the look of ALttP and give older players a sense of nostalgia for the classics.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
I always thought that the inclusion of Din, Nayru and Farore in Minish Cap was basically just an easter egg, a nice reference to the Oracles games since they and Minish Cap were made by Flagship. The idea that they are either immortal or that their names are passed down through the generations is nice too. I think I prefer passing down the names, personally.

As for the castle, perhaps it's not that the Minish Cap castle resembles A Link To The Past's, maybe A Link To The Past's resembles Minish Cap's. Allow me to explain.
The Minish Cap is set in a time of great peace and prosperity for Hyrule (until Vaati comes and messes it up). Well, further down the timeline we have Ganon destory Hyrule Castle in Ocarina of Time and then defeat the Hero. He is sealed away but this leads ot the Imprisoning War, after which there is another period of peace when Hyrule Castle would no doubt be rebuilt.
Perhaps the newly rebuilt castle we saw in A Link To The Past was designed similarly to the one from Minish Cap to echo that peaceful period of Hyrule's history.

Speculation aside, I agree with Beauts and SpartanGibbles. The design of the castle was most likely just a way of tying Minish Cap to A Link To The Past aesthetically. Maybe this was to give a sense of nostlagia to older gamers. Maybe it was to create a stronger connection between Four Swords which was released with A Link To The Past on GBA.

If a minute in Holodrum lasts a year in Hyrule, then wouldn't it be kind of dangerous for Link to go there? Seeing as one day would be...60x24... a LOT of years. What if something evil attacked Hyrule while he was gone?

The Jade Fist

Kung Fu Master
If a minute in Holodrum lasts a year in Hyrule, then wouldn't it be kind of dangerous for Link to go there? Seeing as one day would be...60x24... a LOT of years. What if something evil attacked Hyrule while he was gone?

Thus wind waker. (the hero did not show, to flooded world)

But there is no reason to think there is a time difference between the lands. Its not like they are different worlds. Link physically traveled there thru completely normal means.

They are incarnations of gods they could easily just be immortal. It could also just be one of those random things thrown into a game. Keep in mind this was made before there was an efforts of making a functional timeline.

I was looking around the different Zelda Wiki's when I found this page: Nayru (Oracle) - Zelda Wiki
There's a piece on there about Nayru's appearance in MC that says

She's looking for a house in Hyrule to move into. She is descended from a line of oracles in the land of Labrynna.

This shows that like Zelda, the oracles may be constantly reborn and given the same name. As this Nayru is part of a line of oracles, I think we can assume that the Din from MC may be as well. This would explain why Din's figurine calls her a famous dancer from Holdrum.

The reference to Din is a cameo, as Capcom made both the Oracles and Minish Cap. Minish Cap is explained to happen after Skyward Sword and in many ways, this makes sense. It sort of explains the origin of the hero's hat, assuming the Link of Skyward Sword just happened to wear a similar hat because of his school. Also, the Minish Cap potentially shares some items with Skyward Sword, considering the distinct similarities between the Gust Bellows and Gust Jar and the Mogma Mitts and Mole Mitts. The castle's similarities are merely a stylistic thing. Heck, Four Swords Adventures has tons of exact copies of A Link to the Past locations and they take place on different branches of the timeline. Further evidence of Minish Cap's early placement include the developers claiming it to be the first in the series and a prequel before SS came out and the fact that MC's society is rather utopian but small. The Triforce is remembered but unseen, and Ganon has not yet come to exist.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom