• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Minimalist or 100%?

Xixor

Warrior of the Past
With Zelda games, 100% is just something you do when you're super bored and you have nothing else to do.

Minimizing isn't necessarily very hard, but if you have a lame game (say Spirit Tracks) and go for the 3 heart challenge... well... It's actually really fun!
I don't know why more people don't 'minimize' Spirit Tracks because it is a ton of fun.

And I seem to be rhyming today.

zants follower

underling of the dark god
...Pleas, PLEASE don't state your opinions as fact. ST is by far my favorite mobile zelda (unless you count MM on my netbook).
On the other side of your opinion, I completely agree. Minimalist runs are a way to make replaying the game fun. I never have liked the whole 100% thing. I just get bored.

Xixor

Warrior of the Past
Yeah, sorry about that, I was just trying to prove the point that 100% is probably harder and less fun.

Besides, isn't this thread about opinion anyways?

It definitely depends on the game. There seems to be a kind of pattern here, where the newer the game, the easier it is to beat on a minimalist challenge, and the harder it is to beat 100%. For example, None of the games after WW Would be very hard doing the minimalist challenge, but they also have a lot more things to collect. I've completed MC on both challenges, and 100% was a lot more of a pain than minimalist. Now, I'm working on a minimalist challenge for ALttP, and it's really, really hard: however, on my first play-through, I got really close to 100% without much trouble at all.

Personally, I enjoy minimalist challenges more. It usually ups the difficulty of the game by a bit, and I like a good challenge. Besides, getting 100$ of the collectibles is half the time mindless searching for something that doesn't really help that much, and isn't very fun: like searching for the Golden Skulltulas in OoT, or the Golden Bugs in TP.

I don't understand why people think OoT is particularly long in 100%. If you get a guide of each of them that puts them in a sensible order then you can pick most of them up as you go along, then you only have to spend half an hour or so scooping up any you might have missed. Even without a guide you should pick up half of them without trying. For heart pieces getting a guide is also a good idea in my view. I did OoT to about 95%; I permanently missed the Deku Stick/Nut pickup and got bored before I collected the last Big Poe, which I think gives you a bottle.

Generally I do all I can be bothered to with a game. If the game is super fun and I'm enjoying it I'll search for any extra secrets, but that's quite rare. A lot of challenges in games are just legwork really - there isn't a lot of skill to them.

The main reason that I think OoT was a pain in the butt to do 100% (which I never did actually complete, but I got close) was the Skulltulas. Some of those buggers are difficult to get!

I'd say it depends on the game. For example, 100% would be quite easy in the Wind Waker, in fact, I was only a few hearts from it my first time playing it. In Ocarina of Time, however, two sidequests in particular are tedious: The fourth bottle, where you have to shoot down a poe in 3 seconds or less in Hyrule Field on Epona, bring it back to the ghost-man in the jar room in the Market, listen to his long speech, rinse and repeat 10 times. And the Gold Skulltulas. I usually get about 50-60 Gold Skulltulas.

As for minimalism, I'm not sure, as I've never tried to do one. It seems like it would be harder than a 100% overall though, as Dungeons that were filled with traps and enemies would be very hard, and bosses that required a LOT of magic or arrows (Like Puppet Ganon in WW) would be pretty hard. The Shadow Temple in OoT would be frustrating as well, due to all the health-depleting traps in there. One of the things about the Shadow Temple is that by the time you get to the boss, you have lost 5 or 6 hearts and are halfway out of magic, not that you need Magic for defeating Bongo Bongo though. Like someone else said, 100% tests your patience with sidequests, and minimalist tests your cunning, resourcefulness, and skill.

MrLuigi

Theorist
For me 100% is easier, mostly because I've never done a minimalist. I've done 100% on Majora's Mask, LoZ, and Twilight Princess so far with relative ease, I'm sorta working on OoTMQ's 100% right now.

First time i play a Zelda game is just to win it.
i always try to get everything but never have managed it.
In lttp the best i can get in terms of heart pieces in one part off 19 full hearts.
Can get all weapons,bottlles etc.
I have been playing the game for over 15 yrs.

I think ill have to try a minimalist challenge in a Zelda game as i have never tried it.

Zelda_Duh

Hyrule's Princess
I've never tried minimalist, But it sounds much harder than 100%. I've tried to do 100%, but i always end up missing something. lol

LolGames4U

Viceroy of Area 11
I guess I'm kind of a mix of the two...I don't go for everything like the Golden Skullutas, Pieces of Heart, or all the whatever, but I do find the Great Fairies, some empty bottles, etc. I play at my own pace and do what I want. I did have lots of fun in Wind Waker though when I was trying to find all the Rupees for Tingle (I detest him) and I went around trying to find treasure chests with Silver Rupees. That was loads of fun.

Nicole

luke is my wife
Imo, a minimalist run would be most challenging. I'll use my favorite game, TP, which I have played and replayed an infinite amount of times as an example. I've already beaten TP 100%, all heart pieces, golden bugs, dig holes, hero's skills, etc. I have found and/or own. However, I have never attempted a minimalist run on it, but I believe it would be extremely easy. Just recently I thought about doing a three-heart challenge on TP, though. BUT, I'm not sure I'd be able to beat Ganon on a minimalist run, only on a three-hearter. Why?

The third battle of Ganondorf on horseback. Every time I replay it, it seems that the difficulty switches between ridiculously easy and ridiculously frustrating. I'm not sure if it's just the way I play the game, but often times during that battle, I can't center Epona towards Ganon and often have him chasing after me rather than me chasing after him. Sometime I easily kill him in three hits.

My point, in the end, is that I believe a minimalist run is more challenging, unless you are really proficient at the game for which you are attempting the run.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom