• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Mini-Games,Side-quests and other extras in games.

SpiteChaotic

The lazy Chaos Bringer
You know those little extra bits of a game that are either forced o you or just optional. You either enjoy them, hate them or just do them cause you can or want to kill time. Let us discuss those kind of things.

Like I enjoy the Card Triad in FF8. It is a fun lil mini game where you can use the card to break the game by grinding cards and synthizing items for free. I admit I hate certain rules that pop up like random. But I can enjoy it.

Right now I'm playing Dark Cloud 2. I'm currently catching fish, raising them in a tank and having them fiht for my amusment. I will make the ultimate fish through breed cause... I can. I haven't gotten to a point where i need the fish for anything. Main plot or otherwise. I just enjoy the fish mechanic.

So anything you remember fondly or despise on a game that didnt need to be there but it is?

selicyc

i never knew daylight could be so violent.
a mystery inside of an enigma wrapped in a soft fuzzy blanket of I don't even know what
Triple Triad was probably the best thing about Final Fantasy VIII, including that catchy music that played with it. But a lot of the Final Fantasy games have of neat mini-games to play, like the Golden Saucer of VII, Blitzball in X or all the mini-games in XV like Justice Monsters V.

Chrono Trigger's mini-games were available right at the start of the game, these were not only instrumental in invoking a sense of fun and whimsy, they also helped to make the mood whiplash all the more effective when Marle disappeared after volunteering to try out Lucca's machine.

A good chunk of the mini-games are relevant to the plot much, much later.

I also enjoy fishing mini-games. If there's fishing involved, you can bet I'm gonna halt any quest just so I can fish all day, erryday.

SpiteChaotic

The lazy Chaos Bringer
Chrono Trigger's mini-games were available right at the start of the game, these were not only instrumental in invoking a sense of fun and whimsy, they also helped to make the mood whiplash all the more effective when Marle disappeared after volunteering to try out Lucca's machine.

Oh yeah I nearly forgot about the beginning of Chrono Trigger and how they implemented those Mini games. Was rather good. Given the story and everything and then the sudden tie back in. They really knew how to make something simple but rather effective. I also liked the race with Johnny. I think that was the guys name. Gonna look this up. Holy his name was Johnny. Welp random thing i apparently can remember.

I also enjoyed the small lil monster you could get in the Ds version and how you could train it a bit to do an arena and get you items. I always enjoy having some animal or monster mini game. As long as it isnt tedious and forced.

Though I raised my Dream Eaters with joy in KH DDD. But thats more main game though the balloon pop and the water barrel was fun lil things to do for a break from fighting. Then the card monster battle was neat where you flick card attacks up. Most of that game felt like a mini game. Though the side quest of hunt the frog down was rather meh. I don't like it when things run from me.

You hear me Legendary Trio in X and Y. I hated chasing you down!! They were worse then roaming legends since i can just master ball a roaming legend when i first see it. But no bird wanted to play tag like ten times!!

I seemed to have gone off on a tagent. Meh

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
so during high school,i made it my goal to get all the figurines in the nintendo gallery in wind waker
and...i actually did it,i made sure to get every available figurine in my main save then when on the second quest,i took note of each missable figurine so i can make sure to get a picture of them during the story
and yeah,i got em all,even knuckle who can only be seen if you beat a small quest within the tingle tuner

SpiteChaotic

The lazy Chaos Bringer
so during high school,i made it my goal to get all the figurines in the nintendo gallery in wind waker
and...i actually did it,i made sure to get every available figurine in my main save then when on the second quest,i took note of each missable figurine so i can make sure to get a picture of them during the story
and yeah,i got em all,even knuckle who can only be seen if you beat a small quest within the tingle tuner
I love goals like these. I sometimes do that myself like with any rpg with branching paths for skills. I swear i will one day fill out all the paths if possible. I want the entire sphere grid full on atleast one character in FFX

SpiteChaotic

The lazy Chaos Bringer
You know what mini-games I love to do all the time? Kirby mini-games. Kirby usually has top quality and entertaining mini-games. From nes classic crane game, quick draw and chick and bomb game to the newest of them with roboboplanet and the rpg multiplayer and even the basic 3D blast was amazing. Always the best of the best mini-games usually go into Kirby. I remember using up so much time on Megaton Punch and Samurai Showdown. I nearly used to be ale to constently beat metaknight in the quickdraw game. I enjoyed the funny things kirby did. Then just perfecting the timing to split popstar So good.

Well, thinking outside of Zelda games, I actually really liked FFX's Blitzball. Mostly because the tutorial tells you that you can go into a menu and turn all the characters on manual, so you always control whoever is holding the ball. I know a lot of people who would say they hated Blitzball, but when I ask if they put it on manual, said they didn't know it was possible to do that. But I found it really engaging, especially when you learn new techniques. Personally, I was a fan of wearing the enemy team down with Poison Shot.

In Zelda games, I always love the shooting minigames.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
You know those little extra bits of a game that are either forced o you or just optional. You either enjoy them, hate them or just do them cause you can or want to kill time. Let us discuss those kind of things.

Like I enjoy the Card Triad in FF8. It is a fun lil mini game where you can use the card to break the game by grinding cards and synthizing items for free. I admit I hate certain rules that pop up like random. But I can enjoy it.

Right now I'm playing Dark Cloud 2. I'm currently catching fish, raising them in a tank and having them fiht for my amusment. I will make the ultimate fish through breed cause... I can. I haven't gotten to a point where i need the fish for anything. Main plot or otherwise. I just enjoy the fish mechanic.

So anything you remember fondly or despise on a game that didnt need to be there but it is?

Hah been playing that myself :P didja know if you win the master finny frenzy you get a sun stone?

I like the sidequests of games because most of the time you get better gear for it...... unless it's Breath of the wild or zelda. Sometimes minigames are irritating such as the chocobo racing from FFX or fish races from Dark Cloud 2

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
I don't know if there's a particular minigame I like. I'll do them for completion's sake if they're dependent on unlocking content and aren't too much of a bother, but when they're purely optional I tend to avoid them. Not much care or thought seems to go into these more often than not. I could never win at Paazaak in KotOR for some reason, and you're actually guaranteed to lose at Swoop Bike racing on newer machines with faster processors. I outright ignore Gwent in Witcher 3. Most Zelda minigames I do once for completion then never do again except the ones that are really irritating.

Open world games like GTA have a slew of minigames I just don't care for. Far Cry has a whole bunch I have no time for and Sleeping Dogs pretty much only has karaoke which is mindnumbingly simple to complete and doesn't take long. I hear the Yakuza games are good for minigames so maybe whenever I get around to playing one of those I'll see.

The various JRPG minigames tend to be the worst, imo. The Chrono Trigger minigames were nice simple pleasant little diversions and I like how they made them relevant. But FF's various sports and chocobo racing games are intolerable imo. I spent way more time indulging in chocobo racing in XIII-2 than I had any business doing and I was never once in any danger of ever having fun and blitz ball never made a lick of sense to me. Granted, I never really bothered to figure it out anyway.

I really appreciate how FFVI did minigames. They're seldom optional and take place during story sequences. You're actually forced to understand and complete them and they're just challenging enough to be fun while brief enough to not be irritating nor are they archaic to the point you can't immediately understand them. They really liven up the gameplay by interjecting some variety every once in a while outside of FF's usual standard grind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom