• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Majora's Mask Milk Makes You Drunk? The Placebo Effect

AnimeHat

Humming Swordsman
Anyone who's played Majora's Mask has probably visited the Milk Bar at night and noticed Gorman groveling at the bar. You notice that he's consumed several bottles of milk and is acting strangely. His emotions are heightened and he insults you when you play music for Toto. In his ramblings, he wonders if it's possible to get tipsy off of milk.

Well, he's certainly acting drunk. But how is that possible? Milk doesn't contain alcohol (unless spiked).

There's an interesting mental mechanism that you may have heard of before. It's called the Placebo Effect. Basically, it means that if you believe something is happening to you or your body, then it will happen in reality. For example, if you drink a liquid that you believe is an energy drink, and you truly believe this, then you will get the benefits of an energy drink. However, what you drank was actually flavored water.

This can also be applied to Gorman's situation. Since he is emotionally blinded, he drinks a large amount of milk and believes to be tipsy, so he exhibits the conditions of intoxication.

What do you think? Could this be true?

Fig

The Altruist
Getting drunk from milk? :xd: That's the funniest thing I ever heard. :xd: You do bring an interesting question however! I think he might think he's drunk, when we all know that he's just having emotional problems. I do feel bad for him though.

r2d93

Hero of the Stars
I'd guess the milk has alcohol in it lol.

Plus if there's a milk (chateau romani) that fills up your hearts and gives you unlimited magic, im sure there's milk with alcohol in it.

It's Zelda ;)

triforce_power

One of the Sheikah
I don't know...
but in PH when you walk into the milk bar, the bar tender is all "Aren't you a little too young to be in here?"

HyruleLove

Twilight Princess
Idk...I think it does have alcohol in it. If it restores hearts, and the guy looks clearly drunk...its a safe guess to say its alcoholic xD

It's just Nintendo's sense of humor shining through. But;

It's probably fermented milk so it will have an alcoholic content.

^ Obvious in-world explanation. There are real world equivalents so it's not far fetched at all (gross as it is :lol:).

It could also just be spiked I suppose.

If said Milk had alcohol in it, don't you think Link would pass out and sleep an entire night of the game?

Link's the Hero of Time, it takes a LOT to bring him down. Makes for a great partier and bar patron :)

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
If said Milk had alcohol in it, don't you think Link would pass out and sleep an entire night of the game?

You don't automatically pass out just from a glass of alcoholic beverage, it all depends on it's %abv. For instance many pints of beer can be drunk and the drinker still be fine, if that were pints of whiskey that would probably kill the drinker. In the real world Kefir has quite a low alcohol content and could be drunk in large quantities. Gorman therefore probably had allot of fermented milk to get him in that state. Of course there is no way of saying whether Terminian fermented milk would have the same alcoholic content as Kefir but since that is all I have to liken it to I will assume it is similar therefore Link having a bottle will not make him unconscious or make him sleep for a day. + he's Link, he's a hardcore potion drinker, so a bit of booze does not affect him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom