• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Midora - Zelda Inspired Game on Kickstarter

Hey guys, I was wondering if any of you had seen anything about a cool looking new game on Kickstarter called "Midora". It's heavily influenced by the Zelda series, and its visuals are inspired by (and very similar to) Minish Cap's. It looks pretty cool so far. It's still in the funding period, so who knows whether they will end up with enough money to finish it, but if they do they intend to release sometime next year. The first stretch goal is Wii U/3DS as well, which would make me really happy.

Here's a trailer for it:
[video=youtube;GjVtvP-FTnY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjVtvP-FTnY&feature=youtu.be[/video]

GenGAME also did an interview with the creators that you can check out if you're interested: http://www.gengame.net/2014/06/geng...-classic-zelda-gameplay-for-a-new-generation/

What do you guys think?

There was some concern about that that the creators addressed in one of their updates on the Kickstarter page. The gameplay is significantly different, it seems, and they did a side-to-side comparison of some of their sprites and ones from Minish Cap, and they are different. It does look very, very similar. I really loved Minish Cap in all ways though, so either way I probably won't complain.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
It looks pretty cool. Animations look fluid and the design is pretty nice. :) Sure it's pretty obvious what game it takes inspiration from but I've never been one to hate on that. A good game's a good game regardless of how similar or not similar it is to another. I'm not interested enough to back it but who knows, might pick it up sometime if it releases if it lands on Steam.

Ganondork

goo
I am very interested in this game, actually. The whole, "This looks like Minish Cap!" business really doesn't bother me. It's clear that it's a conglomeration of various old school titles, though I wouldn't say NES. I hope that the game is actually unforgiving like they advertise. I am on a pretty big kick on unforgiving games - Rogue Legacy, Dark Souls, Sweet Home - right now, and this would be awesome to add to my collection. I am planning to back the project in the next few days, probably going to get the tier that has the physical book. I also like the poster, and it'll look good on my wall.

I also am pretty happy to see they're based in Fort Meyers, Florida. They're only two and a half hours from me, so I can expect pretty quick delivery.

Snow Queen

Mannceaux Signature Collection
One problem I have is that the game is 2D. 2D is fine and all, but there have been enough 2D Zelda-esque games about. I'd really like to see fan games based on the 3D gameplay instead.

One problem I have is that the game is 2D. 2D is fine and all, but there have been enough 2D Zelda-esque games about. I'd really like to see fan games based on the 3D gameplay instead.

That would be cool, but since most of these Zelda-inspired indie games are done by relatively small teams, I think a full scale 3D game would be out of their scope most of the time. Also, can you point me to these 2D Zelda-esque games you're talking about (if they're any good)?

Ganondork

goo
Cassandra said:
One problem I have is that the game is 2D. 2D is fine and all, but there have been enough 2D Zelda-esque games about.

Really? I love titles like Binding of Isaac because the inspiration is clear, but the game itself is incredibly different. Which 2D Zelda-inspired games bother you?

That would be cool, but since most of these Zelda-inspired indie games are done by relatively small teams, I think a full scale 3D game would be out of their scope most of the time. Also, can you point me to these 2D Zelda-esque games you're talking about (if they're any good)?

Very true. If you are watching indie trends, however, you'll notice a lot of indie games are now in 3D. More powerful engines that can make 3D games are becoming accessible now. However, nothing on the scale of Zelda is going to be made for quite some time. Midora is a very good idea, as the 2D action adventure market isn't oversaturated just yet. Indie devs are currently milking multiplayer survival games like DayZ, Rust, and Nether.

Okami - great game! - is heavily inspired by Zelda. It isn't a carbon copy, but it follows a pretty similar formula with brush techniques found within dungeon type environments. The art style is beautiful, especially for the PS2. The other great thing about it is the length of the game itself. I put a good 150 hours into my first file before beating it. There are like three parts in which you are sure you're about to beat the game, and then you hear, "And that was only the beginning!" It was a financial failure, I've heard, but it's worth the price it is.

Darksiders also borrows a lot of elements from Zelda. I personally hate the series, as I find the characters to be needlessly edgy, as well as the game itself not being particularly fun. Some people feel differently, but I personally was disappointed by both the first and second titles. I did prefer the first one, though.

Can't think of any other ones off the top of my head.

Ganondork

goo
I am going to go ahead and bump this, because they only need ~$5.3k in order to be funded, and there's only three days left to reach that goal. It's entirely possible, and many people, such as myself, are upgrading our funding so they can reach the goal, but we still need more backers. If you like what you see, please fund it! As I type this, I am listening to the composer's stream as he makes a song, and it's really coming out great. It's pretty different sounding than Zelda, and I like the vibe.

So again, make sure to back it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom