• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Microsoft's Xbox One First Commercial...

Big Octo

=^)
As a gamer, none of the features featured in the commercial really interest me. I don't need a console with Skype capabilities, as I mainly use text chats, and the only TV I would use on a console is Netflix, anything else I don't care for. Their choice of marketing the Xbox One as a multimedia device may appeal to many different consumers, but not to those that treat it as a video game console, myself included. Also, a large part of the consumer base is, obviously, gamers. The lack of game footage or even a lack of mentioning games just for some reason seems off-putting to me.

Snow Queen

Mannceaux Signature Collection
As a gamer, none of the features featured in the commercial really interest me. I don't need a console with Skype capabilities, as I mainly use text chats, and the only TV I would use on a console is Netflix, anything else I don't care for. Their choice of marketing the Xbox One as a multimedia device may appeal to many different consumers, but not to those that treat it as a video game console, myself included. Also, a large part of the consumer base is, obviously, gamers. The lack of game footage or even a lack of mentioning games just for some reason seems off-putting to me.

XBox One. It's not a game console, but it IS everything else.

Snow Queen

Yeah, that totally makes sense, considering it plays games.... I can't wait for the rest of the ignorant comments.

How very rude. I was referencing the fact that the commercial did not reference that the XBox One was a game console. The commercial mentioned every feature except the ability to play games. I do not appreciate your tone of text, so I am going to have to blast off again.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
How very rude. I was referencing the fact that the commercial did not reference that the XBox One was a game console. The commercial mentioned every feature except the ability to play games. I do not appreciate your tone of text, so I am going to have to blast off again.

Deal with it. And no, the commercial didn't showoff every feature, stop lying. I don't know what the hell people are expecting from this commercial with a name like "NFL on Xbox One." Then again, this is the only Xbox One commercial ever. Oh wait.

Snow Queen

Deal with it. And no, the commercial didn't showoff every feature, stop lying. I don't know what the hell people are expecting from this commercial with a name like "NFL on Xbox One." Then again, this is the only Xbox One commercial ever. Oh wait.

You have a nasty attitude, miss.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Yeah, that totally makes sense, considering it plays games.... I can't wait for the rest of the ignorant comments.

It wouldn't be an Xbox One thread without them, would it?

Xbox One is the 'official' console of the NFL, Microsoft are sponsors. NFL, something tonnes of people watch. This is not an ad aimed at core gamers sat on an internet forum dedicated to Zelda, it's to be shown to people watching that, NFL, that's their audience for this advert and that's who are going to see it, most of who are not actually gamers but could be very attracted to the "All-in-One Entertainment System" Microsoft have touted this as. People are acting like this is the only Xbox One advert anyone will ever see. Ignorance for the sake of hating on Microsoft seems to be a theme in gaming these days. Just like we saw with 360, we'll probably see adverts for actual games ending with an 'Xbox One' logo and information. Halo 5 adverts and so on. Those are for gamers.

So overall, I think the ad's okay. It's certainly eye-catching and it'll be in one hell of a slot on TV too, Microsoft do seem to know the audience who will catch this. Should get people's attentions. But, if it wasn't for Youtube, I'd never even see this anyway so, I don't really care, not aimed at me. :P

Last edited:
I understand why Gamers would dislike this advert, but the fact is Xbox One is not a dedicated games console. This advert sorta hints that the TV features is the thing that will attract the most customers, in other words the TV features is the main selling point. The huge majority of Society prefer watching TV then Playing Video Games so Microsoft has made a device that does both but have promoted the TV features in order to attract alot more people. Microsoft will probably make alot of profit from Xbox One, people will most likely buy it for TV reasons rather than gaming reasons.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I understand why Gamers would dislike this advert, but the fact is Xbox One is not a dedicated games console.

You're right, it's an "all-in-one device", i.e. it does all that TV stuff AND games. They missed out on the games part in this commercial. That goes against their game plan by sending an incomplete message.

This advert sorta hints that the TV features is the thing that will attract the most customers, in other words the TV features is the main selling point. The huge majority of Society prefer watching TV then Playing Video Games so Microsoft has made a device that does both but have promoted the TV features in order to attract alot more people. Microsoft will probably make alot of profit from Xbox One, people will most likely buy it for TV reasons rather than gaming reasons.

I highly doubt it. People already watch TV... by watching their TV, whether through cable or satellite. There are also all kinds of special channels that offer the equivalent (and more) of what the XBOX ONE does.

I know you didn't bring this next feature up, but there's also these thing called PC's, which have Skype for free. You have to have XBOX LIVE Gold to get Skype on the XBOX ONE, as well as every other non-gaming feature (besides DVD/Blu Ray watching) it has, as far as I'm aware. ...Which makes the "all-in-one device" slogan have a big ol' asterisk by it.

Microsoft clearly didn't think their strategy through with this, and I thought they realized that when they started focusing on seemingly nothing but games ever since E3. Apparently I was wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom